FM9 vs NAM vs TONEX comparison

I listened to all 3 twice.

Shooting from the hip, my immediate impression was that the FM9 has more pristine high end detail that wasn't quite there in the other 2, so I preferred the FM9.

NAM is really impressive though! And these are all totally usable tones, of course.

Thanks for doing this @DLC86 🙇‍♂️

Potential bias disclaimer: I am an FM9 owner.
Yeah, that's especially true for tonex, in NAM clip I don't hear many differences honestly, maybe something barely noticeable when I roll-off the volume but that's it

I've installed the NAM plugin V0.6.2 for Windows but I do not get processed sound, I only hear direct sound. Neither Standalone or with the VST at Cakewalk.

I've loaded one model and one IR.

I've tried both the guitar as a source, and a recorded reamp signal as a source.

The NAM shows Input Signal at the meter

The NAM Input/Output/EQ knobs do not have any effect. It is like the VST is bypassed or doesn't exist

I get processed sound if I load any other VST in series with this one (e.g.: PRS Archon), so I know that the DAW settings are correct.

This is so simple that I don't know what else to try
:columbo
1677984681979.png

Last edited:
I have a WAY easier time getting out what I put in with NAM vs Tonex, but Tonex is still damn close, just kind of frustrating with the tone and gain stuff

Another one with the 59 Bassguy Bright model

FM9

NAM

TONEX

On this one I have to say tonex is much closer, probably due to the lower gain nature of the tone, but always the same issues with matching the amount of gain on it.

Another one with the 59 Bassguy Bright model

FM9

NAM

TONEX

On this one I have to say tonex is much closer, probably due to the lower gain nature of the tone, but always the same issues with matching the amount of gain on it.

Are you uploading your NAM captures somewhere? This sounds great!

The NAM Input/Output/EQ knobs do not have any effect. It is like the VST is bypassed or doesn't exist
Same here, it's a bug with Cakewalk.
The VST doesn't like to be bypassed or have other plugins with it in the 'FX Rack', otherwise it stops processing sound. As a workaround I put an IR loader in a Bus and send the track with the VST to it.
I will report this on github.

Same here, it's a bug with Cakewalk.
The VST doesn't like to be bypassed or have other plugins with it in the 'FX Rack', otherwise it stops processing sound. As a workaround I put an IR loader in a Bus and send the track with the VST to it.
I will report this on github.
It is working now. After a computer reboot. It is strange, I never had to reboot the PC to make a VST to work.

I've installed the NAM plugin V0.6.2 for Windows but I do not get processed sound, I only hear direct sound. Neither Standalone or with the VST at Cakewalk.

I've loaded one model and one IR.

I've tried both the guitar as a source, and a recorded reamp signal as a source.

The NAM shows Input Signal at the meter

I get processed sound if I load any other VST in series with this one (e.g.: PRS Archon), so I know that the DAW settings are correct.

This is so simple that I don't know what else to try
:columbo
View attachment 4721
Are you set to 48k?

Load the plugin on a track by itself? This helped me.

Nice IR by the way! :)

Nice IR by the way! :)

My favorite!! after hoarding thousands of free and paid IR's worth more than $1k

The pack only has 4 IRs, but it has liberated me from the rabbit hole.

My favorite!! after hoarding thousands of free and paid IR's worth more than $1k

The pack only has 4 IRs, but it has liberated me from the rabbit hole.

Same thing that did for me the free GatesOfHell IR from Bogren (the one inside my NAM captures folder on google drive), I'm using it on every preset since 3 or 4 months ago and I love it!

Back