quick economy picking blast from the woodshed

According to Joe Bonamassa, every player hits bad notes. It is what makes live music the great thing it is.

I always say that the real talent is how a player recovers from hitting the bad notes. Plus it makes it sound more like jazz. :)

According to Joe Bonamassa, every player hits bad notes. It is what makes live music the great thing it is.

I always say that the real talent is how a player recovers from hitting the bad notes. Plus it makes it sound more like jazz. :)
yeah some of my favorite players spin out from time to time - if you're really going for it, it's bound to happen. But also sometimes things are unexpected but not 'mistakes'. I remember seeing Joe Satriani play live once ages ago, and it was pretty amazing that he played every song note for note, but pretty quickly got boring as there was no sense of immediacy, or danger - it was a well-rehearsed show, but left me cold - I like to hear someone go for it and see what happens on that particular night at that moment.

I always say that the real talent is how a player recovers from hitting the bad notes.
I like to refer to that as "professional recovery"! Whether it is a bad note, bad timing, etc., the recovery from that mistake is one thing that separates the professionals from the rest of the 6 string slingers IMO!!

Smokin' riff and execution Cainer!!

yeah some of my favorite players spin out from time to time - if you're really going for it, it's bound to happen. But also sometimes things are unexpected but not 'mistakes'. I remember seeing Joe Satriani play live once ages ago, and it was pretty amazing that he played every song note for note, but pretty quickly got boring as there was no sense of immediacy, or danger - it was a well-rehearsed show, but left me cold - I like to hear someone go for it and see what happens on that particular night at that moment.
I am with you on wanting to see and hear something different. I saw Joe way back on the Flying In A Blue Dream tour. It was also note for note and flawless. How would I know if the band was just acting like they were playing and were actually moving along with a recording? The shows I really like are where the guitar players will play the solo just as it is on the recording, then take another round and improvise the whole thing.

Back