Poly Verbs

I think the VAST majority of folks would be super annoyed at either the sound staying exactly the same when a knob is tweaked, silence when a knob is tweaked, or a garbaled mess when a knob is tweaked.

Who says it needed to be a knob to adjust decay? Could as well be up/down buttons to alter the decay in whatever steps. That way nobody would expect seamless operation.

I would also expect a pedal that could store the OG IR in its slot, keep a working memory slot for the processed IR, and process the IR in various ways with various knobs would be...more than $399.

I don't see this adding too much cost to such a pedal. "Save as" isn't exactly new in digital land, either.

Who says it needed to be a knob to adjust decay? Could as well be up/down buttons to alter the decay in whatever steps. That way nobody would expect seamless operation.

I don't see this adding too much cost to such a pedal. "Save as" isn't exactly new in digital land, either.
I'm trying to imagine the Sascha, much less the Laxu, post when a pedal is released with up/down buttons to adjust parameters rather than a knob.

When you are running multiple IRs at once on your laptop, what's the buffer setting and what's your latency?

I'm trying to imagine the Sascha, much less the Laxu, post when a pedal is released with up/down buttons to adjust parameters rather than a knob.
I'm willing to entertain less than ideal solutions if there's a solid reasoning or technical limitation behind why it's like that.

As an example, the SA Collider I recently got switches between 3-5 hall, spring or plate sizes with one of the knobs. It's not that intuitive because the sound changes abruptly and you don't quite know where the step between them is. But it's understandable why it works like that. Would that feature have been better with a cycle, switch, up/down buttons, or using the main encoder with LED ring instead? I'd say yes, but we don't live in an ideal world.

I don't think a decay slider would have been too bad on the Verbs pedal even if it caused some short mute of the signal, as long as the manual explains why. The LEDs on the front panel are already kinda arranged like steps so it could use those as indicators for the number of fixed length adjustments you have.

Knobs are good when knobs make sense. For stepwise non-realtime in/decrements, they're not really necessary.

When you are running multiple IRs at once on your laptop, what's the buffer setting and what's your latency?

64 samples (or even 32), RTL depending on the interface, figures of around 5ms are easily possible, even with that old machine. Given that reverb typically is a mixed in affair, 5ms of predelay don't harm much.
I have in fact been using that old Macbook on a rehearsal room session, using a Zoom G3 as an interface (which has a sort of horrible latency of around 10ms), to do just this, namely running IRs through Logic's Space Designer. Worked incredibly well and as I always monitored the dry signal with just the G3 device latency (@ <2ms, quite amazingly low for such an old device), latency never became an issue.

If one wanted and if one was using a modeler of some sorts already, one could just buy a cheap 2nd hand laptop for 100 bucks (this is what my Macbook is roughly going for) and use that as an IR processor. Most modelers already have a built in audio interface and not all of them come with 17ms of latency (looking at you, HX family...), they typically work in USB class compliant mode, too.
And yes, quite obviously I am aware that this is not even remotely as neat as just slapping a ready-to-roll pedal onto your board. All I'm saying is that the technology behind things is possibly pretty cheap these days.

Could you check up on my snowball experiment whilst you're there? How's it doing?
In Hell Fire GIF

Convolution reverbs in a pedal. 48 presets, 8 of which can be filled with imported IRs.

@2112 do you know what the maximum IR length is on this thing? 56 stereo IRs of what sounds like 10s or more is…pretty awesome.

This basically takes the one redeeming quality of the TMP and moots it.

I just spoke to Loki at Poly and apparently it's around 40s.
56 slots for stereo 40s IRs at 48kHz... so...over 30 minutes of stereo audio memory on board, ability to run 40s IRs in real-time with no meaningful latency because analog dry-through, super useful touch interface, MIDI, they give you access to all the factory IRs onboard so if you want to export them to mess with decay length, etc.... Super impressive!! First piece of guitar gear I've been excited about in a while.

How would adjusting decay, etc., work in real world of real-time effect parameter modification? Are the following two scenarios the equivalent, mathematically?

(1) Apply envelope Z to the OG IR; sound comes in is processed by the enveloped IR, envelope-IRed audio signal is output.
(2) sound comes in and is processed by OG IR, envelope Z is applied, IRed-enveloped audio signal is output.

i.e., in that scenario would IRed-enveloped audio signal = envelope-IRed audio signal?
The way I read those two statements, it would have to be the former and not the latter. But dunno.

After watching a few demos, I still don't really know what Smoosh does. Maybe the pedal can be updated in the future with the option to control the Decay (decrease only I suppose, start at a full bar and allow users to pull down) instead of Smoosh, @polyeffects?

The way I read those two statements, it would have to be the former and not the latter. But dunno.

After watching a few demos, I still don't really know what Smoosh does. Maybe the pedal can be updated in the future with the option to control the Decay (decrease only I suppose, start at a full bar and allow users to pull down) instead of Smoosh, @polyeffects?
I could also see purposely choosing to leave "decay" off of a convolution reverb pedal since apply a decay envelope to the vast majority of convolution reverbs is one of the more moronic things one could do (i.e., if you are going to turn your $400 convolution reverb into an algorithmic reverb pedal, just buy an algorithmic reverb pedal). The few experimental instances of using raindrops as reverb...meh, you're making the IR yourself, apply the envelope in the making.

I could also see purposely choosing to leave "decay" off of a convolution reverb pedal since apply a decay envelope to the vast majority of convolution reverbs is one of the more moronic things one could do

Applying an envelope to an IR, including some of real spaces, yields quite convincing results. IOW, a 5 second cave reverb will still pretty much sound like a cave when you trim the decay to fade out after just 3 seconds. Calling that procedure "moronic" is quite a passive-agressive stunt. Lovely.

Besides, the most commonly used (and partially famous) IR reverb plugins all come with envelopes, EQs and what not. May I assume that you also think of, say, Altiverb being made for morons?

There might be technical reasons why applying an envelope to an IR is difficult in a box such as this here. But calling the procedure as such "moronic" doesn't look like, hm, shall we say an "informed" statement.

The few experimental instances of using raindrops as reverb...meh, you're making the IR yourself, apply the envelope in the making.

1) With 8 user slots only, you will very quickly run out of them once you start to deal with heaps of destructively edited IR variations.

2) I don't know about you, but regardless of the verb type, I adjust my decays to suit a certain musical context. That might include doing it at rehearsals or even soundchecks (ok, the latter is pretty rare). "Hold on, let me boot my computer and trim/fade a shorter version of that IR, then connect the device and decide which of the few 8 user slots I'll be replacing" doesn't exactly sound like anyting I'd want to do in such a situation.

Applying an envelope to an IR, including some of real spaces, yields quite convincing results. IOW, a 5 second cave reverb will still pretty much sound like a cave when you trim the decay to fade out after just 3 seconds. Calling that procedure "moronic" is quite a passive-agressive stunt. Lovely.

Besides, the most commonly used (and partially famous) IR reverb plugins all come with envelopes, EQs and what not. May I assume that you also think of, say, Altiverb being made for morons?

There might be technical reasons why applying an envelope to an IR is difficult in a box such as this here. But calling the procedure as such "moronic" doesn't look like, hm, shall we say an "informed" statement.

1) With 8 user slots only, you will very quickly run out of them once you start to deal with heaps of destructively edited IR variations.

2) I don't know about you, but regardless of the verb type, I adjust my decays to suit a certain musical context. That might include doing it at rehearsals or even soundchecks (ok, the latter is pretty rare). "Hold on, let me boot my computer and trim/fade a shorter version of that IR, then connect the device and decide which of the few 8 user slots I'll be replacing" doesn't exactly sound like anyting I'd want to do in such a situation.
Give me the TL;dr version, please

No. I'm quite positive you're a grown up being able to read that text in less than a minute. And in case that's too much for you to bother, I'm not going to spend more time on it to trim it.
Your posting style is exactly how you imagine all products should be, that anyone that chooses not to produce or deal with posts/products that amount to diarrhea of the brain is not an adult or a moron, and that there is never any cost associated with such diarrhea.

Your posting style is exactly how you imagine all products should be, that anyone that chooses not to produce or deal with posts/products that amount to diarrhea of the brain is not an adult or a moron, and that there is never any cost associated with such diarrhea.

Ok. And your posting style is like "everybody not agreeing with me is a moron". Even in case you seem to have very little experience with a certain topic (as in this very case). Yeah, that's much better.

I just got my Poly Verbs last week. The pedal functions, sound wise, as expected (and is plenty fun!), but there seems to be something wrong. All lights on the top panel go full on on power up, and then start to do weird things. Flashing and flickering. The problem usually goes away after few minutes, but comes back intermittently.

It’s possible to use the pedal, but makes it hard, as it’s difficult to set levels etc. when one can’t distinguish the level lights from the flickering.

I’ve tried to update the firmware, with no luck. Anyone with the same problem? Solutions?

I’ve contacted Poly support.

Back