Poly Beebo gets NAM capture support

I think the Poly Beebo runs the NAM code on the ARM processor like some RPi based NAM players people built, so DSP is not a thing here.
If I'm not mistaken, modern modelers run the operating system on the ARM processor but not the models, so maybe the AxeFx, Helix, etc. may not be powerful enough to run NAM models or even have the architecture to process sound through the ARM core at all.

Y'all are crazy :D Why is everyone begging Fractal to add NAM support all of the sudden?

Not only Cliff has made his stance on the subject very clear, multiple times, but Fractal already supports capturing - via the Tone Match block. It's essentially the same technology used in Kempers.

I don't think anyone's begging, just hinting at things they want to see. Nobody really expects it to happen anyway - but the license IS MIT - so there's no reason it couldn't be a basis for an FAS implementation if he did warm up to including capturing at some point. As @Orvillain said, TM is not capturing, although it can work well for a similar result in some cases.

I think the Poly Beebo runs the NAM code on the ARM processor like some RPi based NAM players people built, so DSP is not a thing here.
If I'm not mistaken, modern modelers run the operating system on the ARM processor but not the models, so maybe the AxeFx, Helix, etc. may not be powerful enough to run NAM models or even have the architecture to process sound through the ARM core at all.

I guess I don't have a solid reference point for comparison, but it will use several times more DSP than the tonex models if you're going for standard quality. And I'm not sure what chip the tonex pedal uses, but I'm sure it's far less capable than what's in FAS and a nano capture is on par CPU wise with tonex. So bearing with my terrible excuse for math here and disregarding architecture concerns, it seems like the fractal or L6 products should be more than capable since their hardware is much more powerful than tonex?

His patent for Kemper profiling is literally titled "method to match a tone transducer to a reference tone transducer": https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregist...docId=DE102019005855A1&page=1&dpi=300&lang=de .

EDIT: Found an old post from Cliff Chase confirming that is indeed how the thing works.

View attachment 9578

I recall him mentioning Kemper threatened lawsuits over Tone Matching multiple times, too.
All due respect to Cliff, he's just extrapolating from what he's analysed in the rig files. You can't really know the full extent unless you have the code or reverse engineer the whole system.

I give it about 12 months until we see an announcement for some kind of dedicated hardware, optimized for NAM. No doubt someone is working on it.
I think the Tone Junkie guy hinted he's at least interested in getting this done...we'll see. Eventually I'm sure we'll have something

How long is that?

Someone seems to have measured 17ms, I also remember someone saying "between 15 and 18ms" and some remarks about some people getting irritated from playing through it.
For my use case (as I would have to run at least one additional digital device in addition serially), I will never add any devices coming with more than, say, 3ms (which is absolutely within the realm of properly done digital MFX devices) to my setup.

Back