PAF Pro in a Les Paul?

metropolis_4

Shredder
Anyone ever try this?

I’m really tempted to try some different pickups in my LP and I keep thinking these sound great to me on paper. But I’ve only ever heard them in super Strats.

I like articulate, clarity, string separation, and tight understated low end.

Versatility is key for me

Just make sure it is Hot Pink and you can't go wrong, Met. :beer

shopping

Haven’t tried on a Les Paul but I have them in super strats and they do the 80s thing really well. I do find them too polished and sweet on the neck for my taste. It’s a cool sound though, very shreddy and whatnot for me.

If you're looking for a buttery, smooth neck sound then I wouldn't use a PAF Pro, as much I like it. It's got more bite and punch with pronounced mids which is great for a lot of things. Smoother yet still articulate I'd suggest the EJ neck.

Haven’t tried on a Les Paul but I have them in super strats and they do the 80s thing really well. I do find them too polished and sweet on the neck for my taste. It’s a cool sound though, very shreddy and whatnot for me.

If you're looking for a buttery, smooth neck sound then I wouldn't use a PAF Pro, as much I like it. It's got more bite and punch with pronounced mids which is great for a lot of things. Smoother yet still articulate I'd suggest the EJ neck.

Hmm, “polished” doesn’t sound like what I want, but “bite and punch” does.

The biggest thing I’m always looking for in a LP neck is clarity, definition, less low end.

For reference I really like the SD Jazz in the neck of an LP

I’ve also thought about a humbucker from hell or maybe a super distortion 2 in parallel?

The biggest thing I’m always looking for in a LP neck is clarity, definition, less low end.

I’ve also thought about a humbucker from hell or maybe a super distortion 2 in parallel?
The Humbucker from Hell is what I now have in my Ibanez Artist fwiw.:grin
It has punch but with more clarity overall than the PAF Pro. I pair it with a Steve's Special and it's a complimentary set for sure. Love em. Although a Super Distortion would be great too in the bridge, but I've never tried the 2 version?

I like an Alnico IV based pickup for that. Really lean. The Jazz and a Seymour '59 Neck PU are also f'ing great
in my experience.

It has punch but with more clarity overall than the PAF Pro. I pair it with a Steve's Special and it's a complimentary set for sure. Love em. Although a Super Distortion would be great too in the bridge, but I've never tried the 2 version?
+1 on the Humbucker from Hell

That sounds good to me. I think the 2 version is just a brighter sounding Super Distortion.

I like an Alnico IV based pickup for that. Really lean. The Jazz and a Seymour '59 Neck PU are also f'ing great
in my experience.

Interesting, I’ve never tried an Alnico IV based pickup. What are some pickups that use them?

Back