Orange Pedal Baby / other Class A/B + Modeller (FM3) ?

Yeah I bought it indirectly for the QC, hoping it might improve over the BAM, but primarily to power my Synergy rack and to attenuate my amps.
Oops. typo in my quote which I've corrected. I meant to say "... bought the Power Station 100 for your QC and didn't realise ..." (removed "specifically")

You what blows my mind?

In a world where there has been a massive explosion of guitar-oriented gear and modelling options... The fact that a small struggling company (Matrix) is the only game in town for allegedly decent Class A/B power amps for modellers. It's just bizarre.

OR...

Perhaps the universe and the market is telling us (me) something right there 🤔

AND... (warning: here come the rant)

Whilst I didn't want to go "FRFR"... every time this subject comes up on the FAS forum, some satisfied dude smugly tells us just how good the Atomic CLR is.

But you just can't effing buy the CLR! 😡

Drives me crazy.

Also, a few random thoughts:

- this seems to be more an issue for local-level musicians/hobbyists who want to use modelers at local gigs or at home like a regular amp, etc

- bigger artists are either all FOH or have large rackmount power amp options easily available

- many current home users from any recent "modeler explosion" are using their studio speakers and/or headphones

... so maybe that's why it hasn't been fully explored by modeling companies?

Also, a few random thoughts:

- this seems to be more an issue for local-level musicians/hobbyists who want to use modelers at local gigs or at home like a regular amp, etc

- bigger artists are either all FOH or have large rackmount power amp options easily available

- many current home users from any recent "modeler explosion" are using their studio speakers and/or headphones

... so maybe that's why it hasn't been fully explored by modeling companies?
For at home playing with volume restrictions; I would be inclined to (ugh) shop for some killer headphones instead of trying to find a 100 watt amp that plays nice in an extra apartment bedroom :chef :rofl

All good advice.

Personally, I live in a place where there aren't significant volume restrictions, apart from my own restrictions of not wanting to damage my ears any further or trigger a tinnitus flare up.

As for the actual Orange Pedal Baby... have you found any available in Canada, @jellodog ?

They've been out of stock any time I've looked (although I'd be pained to pay the new price...).

As for the actual Orange Pedal Baby... have you found any available in Canada, @jellodog ?

They've been out of stock any time I've looked (although I'd be pained to pay the new price...).
This is going to make you :cussbut I'd probably just buy the Crush Pro 100 head so I had a "backup" as I am assuming the power section is the same?

This is going to make you :cussbut I'd probably just buy the Crush Pro 100 head so I had a "backup" as I am assuming the power section is the same?

I think I briefly considered that when I was looking around for power amp options. But I don't think it would be much better than my Katana 100 head as a power amp?

YEs, I believe that the PB was born out of the Crush. Although the PB had a nice Class A JFET input stage added.

I think I briefly considered that when I was looking around for power amp options. But I don't think it would be much better than my Katana 100 head as a power amp?
And no baked in effects with a dedicated footswitch. But I do like the tones. And this would be another "option (paralysis)" for the Orange specifically.

Oh I don't let availability in Canada stop me if a product is multi-voltage and available from Thomann.

Which it is. Thomann dispatch so quickly by air too and the cheaper (than Canada) price usually more than covers any extra shipping costs.

Plug in your North American IEC cable and you're good to go.

Last edited:
And I know we keep straying from the Pedal Baby, but I gotta say this used Katana 100 Mk II head was one of the best quick-and-easy purchases, with a lot of potential uses, I've ever made.

Powers my FM9 in Class A/B when I want to try the FM9 amp models with my cabs, comes along in the van as a back up for my Mesa for gigs and practices, is also a decent practice/home head on its own with various cabs. Super light and easy to carry around. Even has a little speaker for home use, too.

All for $300 Cdn, which is basically $225 US.

@TubeStack As an example, I had all manner of Celestions air-freighted to me from Thomann during the pandemic when they weren't available in Canada. Same for the Bluguitar Amp1 - was cheaper than buying in Canada where it was hard to source and I had it within 48 hours from Germany!

@TubeStack As an example, I had all manner of Celestions air-freighted to me from Thomann during the pandemic when they weren't available in Canada. Same for the Bluguitar Amp1 - was cheaper than buying in Canada where it was hard to source and I had it within 48 hours from Germany!

Crazy! I had no idea.

(Heads off to the Thomann site... :rofl )

And I know we keep straying from the Pedal Baby, but I gotta say this used Katana 100 Mk II head was one of the best quick-and-easy purchases, with a lot of potential uses, I've ever made.

Powers my FM9 in Class A/B when I want to try the FM9 amp models with my cabs, comes along in the van as a back up for my Mesa for gigs and practices, is also a decent practice/home head on its own with various cabs. Super light and easy to carry around. Even has a little speaker for home use, too.

All for $300 Cdn, which is basically $225 US.
The Kat II with poweramp in is pretty attractive on a number of levels.

FWIW, I love the BAM200 and for less than half the price of the Duncan 170, you can’t go wrong. I’m using both to power my 2x12’s for my FM9 rig.

That said, IDGAF about it being flat; when I first got the BAM I found the settings to make it flat and the first time left my apartment with my rig I re-adjusted to make up for the different room I was in. I do the same with the 170‘s EQ. This saves me from needing to tweak presets at gigs. I don’t really care that it’s not 100% accurate to whatever model I’m using, all that matters is that the sound coming out of the speakers does what I want it to.

I owned one. It’s a deceptively badass amp too, if ya like the Orange vibe. (Though it didn’t pkay nice with my OD/Dirt pedals, it was a killer clean channel pedal platform for modulations/reverbs/delays with its super flat/dry clean channel) But really does great classic British rock tones all day, and of course gets fuzzed/doomed out too. I’ve thought about buying this amp again, just to have around as a change of pace. lol

Outside the box suggestion: forget the power amp and cab jive, and grab a decent
set of studio monitors for the FM3. :idk

If you are not going to be pushing a lot of air, a decent set of studio/reference monitors
sound F'ing awesome. And yet get access to stereo imaging which you won't get with a
power amp and cab setup.

And you'll still have your Bella rig.

Outside the box suggestion: forget the power amp and cab jive, and grab a decent
set of studio monitors for the FM3. :idk

If you are not going to be pushing a lot of air, a decent set of studio/reference monitors
sound F'ing awesome. And yet get access to stereo imaging which you won't get with a
power amp and cab setup.

And you'll still have your Bella rig.

Cheers. I have Neumann KH 120 monitors already. Just not into IRs so much.

Perhaps that will change though!

Last edited:
Back