OG Shredders

metropolis_4

Shredder
I'm on this '50s kick right now and reconnecting with some of the electric guitar players from that era.

Taking a look at some of the OG electric guitar shredders from the days before distortion and effects.

Joe Maphis:

Jimmy Bryant:

Danny Cedrone:

Les Paul:

Tal Farlow:

Who are some others?

Technically this recording was later ('70s) but still he was around in the '50s (even if he was more worried about getting high and chasing girls than playing guitar at the time) so I feel like he deserves honorary mention

giphy.webp

You beat me to posting that same clip of Roy Clark. He could've been a metal shredder with that right hand!

Glen Campbell is another. And of course Chet Adkins was a monster player, but in a different way.

And if you guys have never checked out Terry Kath, do yourself a favor. Jimi Hendrix said something to the effect of he thought he was better than he was.

You beat me to posting that same clip of Roy Clark. He could've been a metal shredder with that right hand!

Glen Campbell is another. And of course Chet Adkins was a monster player, but in a different way.

And if you guys have never checked out Terry Kath, do yourself a favor. Jimi Hendrix said something to the effect of he thought he was better than he was.
Ahh yes - Glen Campbell also came to mind. Those guys are just legends.

In fact - it was those early Hee Haw days that got John5 interested in guitar in the first place, I believe. Fun to go back and watch those guys.

Speaking of Terry Kath - his lead playing on 25 or 6 to 4 is one of my all time favorites. Man he just rips and it’s perfect for the song in every way.

Ahh yes - Glen Campbell also came to mind. Those guys are just legends.

In fact - it was those early Hee Haw days that got John5 interested in guitar in the first place, I believe. Fun to go back and watch those guys.
Yep! It wasn't until I got a bit older that I came to appreciate more than just the musicians on that show. Hehe
Speaking of Terry Kath - his lead playing on 25 or 6 to 4 is one of my all time favorites. Man he just rips and it’s perfect for the song in every way.
Mine too!! I can play some eyebrow-raising stuff of my own, but that's one of those solos that I just gave up on trying to learn. I cannot hammer-on/pull-off nearly as fast as he does, and his note choices are so :chef

To pull us out of the 70s-80s and back towards the 50s:

These guys may not have been the most amazing guitarists of their day, but they definitely had the stage moves down

Back