Nut repair?

I watched a few videos… Looks very straightforward. I might go by that nut file from Stew Mac, but I own a lot of expensive files already.

I’ll probably get some feeler gauges 👍

Unreal - they want $100 for feelers… fuck right off stewie

Back Off Finger GIF

I just Ordered a Graphtech Nut Tusq XL for my Revstar I expect it to be very good as I have one on my Godin and don't have any tuning issues on that guitar

1678208534998.png

I watched a few videos… Looks very straightforward. I might go buy that nut set file from Stew Mac, but I own a lot of expensive files already.

I’ll probably get some feeler gauges 👍
You might be able to find cheaper ones on eBay or something.

Get a decent set of nut files. It's an expense for sure, but then you can do basically any nut repairs you'd ever need. I have some Hosco nut file set from like 15 years ago that has worked just fine for me.

For installing the nut I'd try wood glue first and if you don't have that, use a few drops - and I do mean drops - of cyanoacrylate superglue. Put it only on the nut slot bottom but not on the fretboard side edge so that you can just tap out the nut if it needs replacement. The idea is to hold it in place, not keep it there permanently.

I wouldn't bother trying to repair a nut but just replace it if a slot has worn too deep. The nut is easily the worst made part on most guitars anyway.

I think the Nut is most always attributed to tuning stability issues, while the Tusq XL is really good, how its cut is equally if not more important

What's in the "Hornady color" box in the back,(left of the cyanoacrylate?) Looks too long for a die and too small for a caliper (feeler gauges, sharpening stone?).

Gray box looks like caliper container.

ETA...Starrett....Punches. I love their punches.

What's in the "Hornady color" box in the back,(left of the cyanoacrylate?) Looks too long for a die and too small for a caliper (feeler gauges, sharpening stone?).

Gray box looks like caliper container.

ETA...Starrett....Punches. I love their punches.

Yes, “the nice calipers” box…

The red plastic box is just a storage box full of various files. The two gray and black boxes in front of that are brand new fine metal files.

I used one to clean the nut slot because they are square and in the right size

I measured everything and the nut appears to need no filing. That’s kind of a shocker!

But a fairly easy and straightforward process.

I’m gonna intonate it and see how it goes.

Ok, I can't be the only one when first seeing the thread title thinking that requires a doctor or two.

And then open the thread and relieved to find that we're still talking about guitars.

Last edited:
Back