Music Nomad Nut files

Boudoir Guitar

Rock Star
I've had some Stew Mac files that I always found super frustrating because they don't have any support to stiffen up the file so they were kind of annoying to use and even more annoying to store in a tool box.

My Eli SG has gone back to being annoying on the tuning stability front after I bumped up to 11s on it, so finally took a chance and ordered the "light electric" set of these files and I find them to be sooooo much easier to use. Even when pulled out of the handle the files have a stiff back so much easier to use to round over the back sides of the nut slot with. With the diamond coating you REALLY need to go easy and only take a pass or two at the most, letting the tool do the work rather than trying to push down on it, but as long as you go easy, shouldn't be an issue.

Money well spent, IMO. @Stone a set of these and a light touch should get you sorted on your tremolo guitar (go ahead and get their string/nut lubricant, too):

You need the file backer with the stew thinner files. They do say this on the website.

You need the file backer with the stew thinner files. They do say this on the website.
Huh. I don’t remember that even being available when I ordered mine years ago. Still - I will take this set that has a back built into each file without having to buy an additional dongle.

Main point of the thread was to encourage folks like Stone to buy some nut files and learn to deal do the fine detail finishing of the nut themselves. $100 is a drop in the bucket compared to how much most folks around here spend on gear.

The music nomad files are pretty decent. They will last the average person a very long time.

I didn’t even know that was a thing, I don’t think it was years ago when I bought my files. Need to pick one up I’ve got a fair amount of nut work to do coming up.

D

Had a set and returned them. Not bad for the weekend warrior, but I prefer something with a handle or a little more leverage. YMMV.

I didn’t even know that was a thing, I don’t think it was years ago when I bought my files. Need to pick one up I’ve got a fair amount of nut work to do coming up.

D
They have been around quite a while but I couldn’t tell you when exactly.

They have been around quite a while but I couldn’t tell you when exactly.
I probably bought mine 8-10 years ago. I was cheap back then, totally possible I was foolishly trying to save a dollar at the expense of years of frustration…. I’ve seen me do it.

I don’t do that stuff anymore lol.

D

I probably bought mine 8-10 years ago. I was cheap back then, totally possible I was foolishly trying to save a dollar at the expense of years of frustration…. I’ve seen me do it.

I don’t do that stuff anymore lol.

D
I got mine at most 7 years ago and certain it wasn’t a thing then.

Back