NPD DemonFX King of Drive

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Fresh off the boat, plane, messenger pigeon, hot air balloon or however it got here:

20230525_181145.jpg

Was supposed to be a father's day present to myself (someone has to get me something) but it got here earlier than expected. I've only had time to plug it in and see if it works before the kids were off to bed last night, which it does, so that's a point already. I'll get some more time this (long) weekend.

The only thing I have to compare it to are models of the PoT and KoT in HX land so there will be plenty of that when I have time.

Happy fathers day, dude. Interested to see your thoughts on comparing to the Helix models. From what I understand, the DemonFX don't always use the same layout/components/circuitry, but lord knows there's more than one way to skin a cat in FX-land.

Work was slow so was sent back home.

Yes, there are internal dip switches to set the two sides to be clean, OD, distortion, and a normal/high gain toggle for each side, as well as trim pots for overall treble control.

I'm able to somewhat emulate the Heir Apparent settings that I like albeit through different settings. It's not perfect but it's pretty close and I enjoy the tones I'm getting.

I ran some noise through and monitored the response with Fabfilter and noticed the KoD giving off some extra harmonics in between the fundamentals and the harmonics compared to what the Heir Apparent in HX was giving me. I'm not sure what all of that means but to me it seems like this pedal is doing something a little different.

I should have taken some screenshots.

Forgot to mention the plastic-backed pots - very flimsy. Switches feel nice, responsive with a subtle click that aren't noisy or overbearing (looking at you Afterneath V1). Paint is already chipping off in spots.

20230525_181406.jpg

Those are plastic covers to stop things grounding out on the back of the pots. For the price they charge for these pedals it looks fantastic.
I see. Maybe it's just the feel of the knobs but it feels like I might accidentally kick the shafts off. They wiggle a lot

Edit: False alarm, the knobs just weren't seated properly! Sturdy AF now!

20230526_135007.jpg

Last edited:
Back