No one wants the HXFX

If you're just needing effects and have the space, the HXFX does have its advantages over the Stomp. Especially the ability to quickly and easily change presets, plus a dedicated tap/tuner switch.

What’s the deal with the HXFX using IR’s? Is it to essentially mimic a dirt pedal running into a power amp/cab?

Oh, yeah. But It would be cool with the actual tube preamps in conjunction, as well. I forgot that was in there though.
That preamp series coming out from....Two-Notes. That got my attention back when they teased it. Wonder when it will actually drop?

But L6 said people didn't want amp models in the HXFX.
No, but there's a contingent of guitarists who actively do not want amp modeling in their multieffects, and HX Effects is specifically for them. Is this contingent big or vocal enough for us to warrant developing an HX Effects MkII years from now? Honestly don't know; we'll have to see what the market looks like then.

IMO the HXFX missed the mark a bit as far as usability goes. The UI could be a lot more straightforward. Maybe adding on more screen on top to show have a permanent pedalboard view? I guess that would come with cost issues and whatnot, thing is I just don't feel it's as inviting as it should've been for the average pedal user.

No it effects quite a few different models including mods, delays, and drives. With some (like cosmos echo) it’s dramatic, like two completely and totally different models between its stock impedance and 1M.

D
While it's true, I don't think it makes it better.

Modding an echoplex or a memory man to have 1M input impedances is common practice, prefered by the vast majority.

While there are octavia style pedals that do have higher input impedance like the MXR Octavio, the usual crowd favorites tycobrahe clones do have low input impedance similar to a fuzz face. On Helix the octavia has higher input impedance than that and IMO it does not serve it well.

IMO the HXFX missed the mark a bit as far as usability goes. The UI could be a lot more straightforward. Maybe adding on more screen on top to show have a permanent pedalboard view? I guess that would come with cost issues and whatnot, thing is I just don't feel it's as inviting as it should've been for the average pedal user.

While it's true, I don't think it makes it better.

Modding an echoplex or a memory man to have 1M input impedances is common practice, prefered by the vast majority.

While there are octavia style pedals that do have higher input impedance like the MXR Octavio, the usual crowd favorites tycobrahe clones do have low input impedance similar to a fuzz face. On Helix the octavia has higher input impedance than that and IMO it does not serve it well.

Better is entirely subjective, my point was that for some effects it makes a dramatic difference in their tone and response. If you want it to sound like the real effect, for some it simply won’t unless you have the variable input impedance and there’s nothing you can do to fake it.

You’re actually making my point for me with the Octavia example. On helix you can change the input impedance from the stock setting to one that you prefer. With the HX FX it’s fixed at 1M along with the fuzz face and everything else, making a lot of them simply unusable for what they’re supposed to do.

D

Why is the "HX FX impedance" beginning to feel like "sliders vs. knobs"?

With slight research before purchase, which one should always do, it shouldn't be a big surprise.

Just my personal opinion, no offense. ;)

But L6 said people didn't want amp models in the HXFX.
Or so many blocks in the HX Stomp.

All joking aside, I'll defer to Line 6 marketing, who I assume put in a lot of work trying to maximize sales. But if I look at two products and one is essentially a superset of another, my "Is this a trick question" reflex kicks in. Much easier to ignore stuff you don't need than to ignore the absence of stuff you do.

subset.jpg

I definitely see where scribble strips and overall layout of the HXFX would appeal to the FX->amp crowd, though.

Last edited:
Better is entirely subjective, my point was that for some effects it makes a dramatic difference in their tone and response. If you want it to sound like the real effect, for some it simply won’t unless you have the variable input impedance and there’s nothing you can do to fake it.

You’re actually making my point for me with the Octavia example. On helix you can change the input impedance from the stock setting to one that you prefer. With the HX FX it’s fixed at 1M along with the fuzz face and everything else, making a lot of them simply unusable for what they’re supposed to do.

D
I'm not saying the variable input impedance is bad, on the contrary. What I'm saying is that mimicing the original input impedance of every device isn't always good. For some fuzz models it's a must, for some overdrive pedals it helps, but the difference isn't as big. But, in the case of the delays, I don't see the point in having the lower input impedance.

The optimal IMO would be to make the input impedance a parameter in each block + a good video break down of the feature and its importance.

Meh I don't want amps in the HXFX. I would love a Helix LT the size of an HXFX though. The reason I have stayed with LT is because I can cover everything I need to do across 3 bands in a single patch. Thats why I put up with the real estate it takes up in front of me. I would have to do too much tap dancing with any of the smaller units. When I am on stage playing, it's a huge distraction for me to have to do that. Been there with other units and not going back. Believe it or not the only other unit I have owned that comes close is my MX5 because I find it's polyphonic pitch just ever so slightly below the poly capo in Helix. It's a perfect backup though. I needed only to find 2 amps that work well enough in there and I found them. The so called poly pitch in other units suck compared to the poly capo in Helix.

Back