No one wants the HXFX

I'm not saying the variable input impedance is bad, on the contrary. What I'm saying is that mimicing the original input impedance of every device isn't always good. For some fuzz models it's a must, for some overdrive pedals it helps, but the difference isn't as big. But, in the case of the delays, I don't see the point in having the lower input impedance.

The optimal IMO would be to make the input impedance a parameter in each block + a good video break down of the feature and its importance.

Generally I would agree for the delays, but I used the most extreme example. Cosmos echo does this super dark, soupy, interesting thing that you can’t get any other way. I think it can be helpful for some of the mods too if you run them in front of any dirt.

A per block parameter will probably never happen, but that would be perfect for me.

Despite all of this, the HX fx is still a super cool box. If I was going to add one of the smaller HX brethren into my world I’d probably go HX stomp xl now for the extra versatility and variable impedance, but the scribble strips and often low used price of the FX would make it a contender. If I knew I was only going to use it for post-dirt delay, Verb, and modulation, I’d take the FX without hesitation for the scribble strips.

D

I gotta say, using the FM9 for 4cm now and loving it, but I do miss the L6 delays, mainly Transistor Tape and Reverse Delay.

The Fractal tape delay is kind of bland. I've been using "2290 with modulation" instead, and do really like it, but still still prefer the L6 TT, overall.

Back