NGD: YH-WL500

eggpl@nt

Roadie
This could probably be posted in another section, but since my primary application will be a monitoring solution for my Axe-Fx/Helix/Tonex, I'll post it here.

Today, my pair of Yamaha YH-WL500s arrived. These are wireless headphones, and the main attraction here is the low latency (<4ms, according to Yamaha). The headphone base doubles as the transmitter. You connect the headphone output of your widget to the base, and that's basically all the setup that's required. The headphones connect automatically to the base when set upon my noggin. E Z P Z.

Speaking of noggins, these fit mine nicely--similar to how my Sony MDR7506s fit. Maybe a tad loose, but comfortable for long periods. (I've had them on for ~90 minutes as I'm writing this.) They get a little warm, but that's probably unavoidable. (And it's 90F here today. That's 32C for those using the more sensical system.)

The sound is pretty good. Compared to the Sony MDR7506 sound, they're smoother and a bit fatter. Some frequencies are a bit pokey or stringy, but all-in-all, the sound is completely acceptable. They sound open too, which is nice. Like, I don't absolutely need reverb when playing these.

Now for latency. Let me tell you. They live up to the promise. It's almost jarring how immediate they are. I have nothing more to add here, and this alone makes them a great solution for those who need to play silently sometimes.

My only complaint is a slight crackle. I haven't yet pinned down the reason--whether it's gain staging or wireless interference. I'm not getting a clipping warning anywhere in my signal--in the Axe or on the WL500 base. (A red LED illuminates if the incoming signal is too hot.) And the crackling doesn't always occur at the peak of the signal. In fact, it's most obvious as a big chord decays. I don't think it's so annoying that it outweighs the good, but TBD.

In summary: These are nice. They sound good. They fit good. There really is very little, and basically imperceptible, latency. I just need to find and eliminate the crackling.

Alright, the crackling is annoying, and it's so weird. I only hear it when playing processed guitar. If I play direct through my Axe, FM, or Helix (i.e. no active blocks, dry thru), there is no or very, very little crackling. The crackling really only comes into its own when amp/cab modeling is engaged. I have no idea what that might mean.

That said, I think I'll be keeping these. I've been playing a ton that last few days, and once you get lost in whatever you're playing, the crackling kinda melts away. Kinda.

Have you tried it together with a wireless system for the guitar? For me wireless is neat but for use with guitar gear it would be nicer to have the guitar part wireless too.

Have you tried it together with a wireless system for the guitar? For me wireless is neat but for use with guitar gear it would be nicer to have the guitar part wireless too.
I haven’t. Someone over at the other place said they tried this and encountered some spotty connections. Granted, I think they said they used a very budget wireless transmitter on the guitar.

Edit: to clarify, I have neither a wireless guitar system, nor access to one. Else, I’d try it and let you know how it worked out.

Alright, the crackling is annoying, and it's so weird. I only hear it when playing processed guitar. If I play direct through my Axe, FM, or Helix (i.e. no active blocks, dry thru), there is no or very, very little crackling. The crackling really only comes into its own when amp/cab modeling is engaged. I have no idea what that might mean.

That said, I think I'll be keeping these. I've been playing a ton that last few days, and once you get lost in whatever you're playing, the crackling kinda melts away. Kinda.
Search at The Other Place for “squirrelly bits”. :/

Will these headphones also get the oversampling update?
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the headphones' only crime is being a a little clearer in a certain frequency range than whatever you were previously accustomed to listening through. And now you're in the dreaded "can't un-hear it" zone. :eek:

Back