NGD! This one is really special

metropolis_4

Rock Star
This may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it is really special to me. Here’s the story behind this one:

My beloved local theater shut down earlier this year after 47 years; it was heartbreaking for all of us. I got a call from the owner saying after selling everything off they wanted to give everyone who worked there one last bonus check as a thank you.

As soon as I heard that I thought it would be so cool to use the money from my last check to build a guitar to keep as a memento of the theater and my time working there. Taking the money made from selling the last parts of the theater and using it to buy parts for a guitar felt like a way to make it carry on.

The theater opened in 1977 so I wanted something that evoked that era. I saw this walnut body on Warmoth and it just seemed perfect.

My idea was sort of a cross between something that might have come out of Azusa or Van Nuys around that time mixed with a bit of something Doug Irwin might have built.

It has an insanely cool pickup switching config!!

I saw DiMarzio offered gold pole pieces and that seemed perfect, so I went with two PAF Pros and a True Velvet in the middle. The idea is it’s more like a Gibson or Gretsch with a middle single coil that can be added.
  • 3 position toggle toggles the two humbuckers like a Gibson.
  • Volume 1 controls bridge and middle
  • Volume 2 controls neck so I can do the LP thing of knocking the neck pickup volume back a touch while in the middle position.
  • Master tone
  • Tone is a push/push switch that taps the two humbuckers
  • Volume 2 is a push/push that turns on the middle pickup so it can be added to any combination.
So basically it gives me LP/SG with the 3 way, then tapped gives me Tele, and adding the middle single gives me Stratty 2 & 4 positions. It works better than I could have hoped for!

Neck is Goncalo Alves and ebony fretboard. Scalloped from 12th fret up. Stainless steel frets, earvanna nut, locking tuners.

This is my first guitar with a Gotoh 510 and I love it!

I have water slide decals of the theater logo I’m going to add to the headstock, and I’ve got an ebony backplate I haven’t had time to put on yet. I’ll post update pictures as I get those things done.

IMG_3936.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

IMG_3941.jpeg

This may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it is really special to me. Here’s the story behind this one:

My beloved local theater shut down earlier this year after 47 years; it was heartbreaking for all of us. I got a call from the owner saying after selling everything off they wanted to give everyone who worked there one last bonus check as a thank you.

As soon as I heard that I thought it would be so cool to use the money from my last check to build a guitar to keep as a memento of the theater and my time working there. Taking the money made from selling the last parts of the theater and using it to buy parts for a guitar felt like a way to make it carry on.

The theater opened in 1977 so I wanted something that evoked that era. I saw this walnut body on Warmoth and it just seemed perfect.

My idea was sort of a cross between something that might have come out of Azusa or Van Nuys around that time mixed with a bit of something Doug Irwin might have built.

It has an insanely cool pickup switching config!!

I saw DiMarzio offered gold pole pieces and that seemed perfect, so I went with two PAF Pros and a True Velvet in the middle. The idea is it’s more like a Gibson or Gretsch with a middle single coil that can be added.
  • 3 position toggle toggles the two humbuckers like a Gibson.
  • Volume 1 controls bridge and middle
  • Volume 2 controls neck so I can do the LP thing of knocking the neck pickup volume back a touch while in the middle position.
  • Master tone
  • Tone is a push/push switch that taps the two humbuckers
  • Volume 2 is a push/push that turns on the middle pickup so it can be added to any combination.
So basically it gives me LP/SG with the 3 way, then tapped gives me Tele, and adding the middle single gives me Stratty 2 & 4 positions. It works better than I could have hoped for!

Neck is Goncalo Alves and ebony fretboard. Scalloped from 12th fret up. Stainless steel frets, earvanna nut, locking tuners.

This is my first guitar with a Gotoh 510 and I love it!

I have water slide decals of the theater logo I’m going to add to the headstock, and I’ve got an ebony backplate I haven’t had time to put on yet. I’ll post update pictures as I get those things done.

View attachment 27434
View attachment 27435
View attachment 27436
View attachment 27437
View attachment 27438
View attachment 27439
What scale length did you go with? Looks great!

What a beautiful instrument! That guitar’s origin story is going to bring a lot of mojo with it.

I can’t tell you how much I love having a guitar with an origin story

Cool! Reading your story I thought you were going to say that the wood came from a piece of furniture from the theater. Is the guitar heavy?

That would have been really cool! There wasn’t any available though that would have made a good guitar body.

I don’t know the exact weight but it’s chonky!

What scale length did you go with? Looks great!

I debated this a lot. Ended up going with 25.5”

Back