Would it be possible to wire a Les Paul this way?

metropolis_4

Shredder
Standard setup:
2 humbuckers
3 way toggle
2 volume 2 tone

But with this:
Push/pull on bridge tone knob changes bridge from series to parallel
Push/pull on neck tone knob makes the middle position just the inner coil on each pickup (preferably only when in position 2 - like the Petrucci wiring)

From all I know, no. The parallel wiring would cause the bridge PU not to be split-able as easily anymore. It'd however work in case you decided to only use one of these trickeries at a time. With the bridge PU in plain HB mode, splitting both PUs shouldn't be a big deal, but it might entirely shorten the bridge PU in case you pulled the parallel switch as well (too lazy a brain to exactly think through it).
preferably only when in position 2 - like the Petrucci wiring)

That'd defenitely take a special 3 way toggle with another switching layer (to shorten the coil connections to ground).

From all I know, no. The parallel wiring would cause the bridge PU not to be split-able as easily anymore. It'd however work in case you decided to only use one of these trickeries at a time. With the bridge PU in plain HB mode, splitting both PUs shouldn't be a big deal, but it might entirely shorten the bridge PU in case you pulled the parallel switch as well (too lazy a brain to exactly think through it).

That'd defenitely take a special 3 way toggle with another switching layer (to shorten the coil connections to ground).

Hmm, if it was possible to have both but they just couldn’t both be engaged at the same time that would be fine. I wouldn’t want them both on at the same time.

I wonder if one of those special switches they use on the old Petrucci guitars would fit in the cavity of a LP?

Man I wish I had that inner coils parallel sound on my LP as well, love that sound. Perfect for sexy cleans. Luckily I have two Ibanezes with that wiring :grin

Man I wish I had that inner coils parallel sound on my LP as well, love that sound. Perfect for sexy cleans. Luckily I have two Ibanezes with that wiring :grin

In general, that's a very easy modification, but you may need 4 truly independent PU cables plus ground.
Anything with, say, the black cable doubling for ground might not work (let alone a single additional split cable) because very often, at least for the bridge PU, by default the inner coil will be switched off. In fact, that's the standard for most bridge humbuckers (regardless of the number of exposed cables), which IMO is just plain bad nonsense because the coil next to the bridge isn't just much lower in volume (and we're talking *much* lower here) but usually also much too shrill as these coils were not make to work on their own in the first place. Hence, split bridge humbuckers typically just sound like ass - and all that while they can sound quite great if only the inner coil was used for SC operation. Really, this is one of the most dumb guitar electric "standards" ever (and it's like that for Duncans, DiMarzios, at least some Ibanez'es, etc.).

You can either change that by reverse wiring all your pickups (not a good idea) or connecting your humbucker coils differently, so the "signal path" doesn't go from coil 1 to coil 2 but the other way around. For that to work you do however need free access to all 4 cables because just re-connecting the "global" in and output will result in a phased out pickup.

I put a set of Seymour Duncan triple shots in my jt59.

They can go from series to parallel and single coil.
Resized_20220819_154448.jpeg

No.
Closest with push pulls would be a coil tap for each pickup on the volume pots and series parallel on the tones with a normal 3way . Other options would need a four pole 3 way and it would not fit in the existing route.

FWIW, Mad Hatter Guitar Products has some pretty cool switching options for a ton of configurations. I've got 3-4 of these solderless kits in my guitars and love 'em. Dude is great to work with, he's helped me out with non-standard wiring and when I broke something sent me a replacement completely free.

Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 3.05.46 PM.png

Not sure if this would be of any interest but @2112 posted a video about the upgrades to his carbon fibre guitar and it has a nifty 6 way les paul style switch that looks really interesting. I wouldn't mind one for my LPJ at some point!

I've timestamped link to play from where he starts going through the selector modes.

Back