NGD: Martin DSS-17

Fireproof

Shredder
Is everyone here hard rockers or metal players? Or do we have any that enjoy some laid back flatpicking or fingerpicking?

Anyway - I just bought this Martin DSS-17 which comes with a whiskey sunset finish. (Which is cool and different, though I see why some people don’t like it at all, LOL. I think it’s cool, and goes well with my love of whiskey). It’s a slope shoulder dreadnought, and many call it a “Martin J45”. It’s light and super resonate and fun and easy to play. And loud when you want it to be - perfect for some group sing-alongs which we do.

The reason I got it is because I can’t make myself take my D-28 out to the pool or when camping/vacationing with family, etc. So I wanted something a little less precious to me, haha.

FC497E33-C843-437C-A950-3439198746FB.jpeg
84C976FB-1FE3-42AE-A452-F8EAB98AC30B.jpeg

I need to put an acoustic back in my life… My wife is bugging me to get one as she prefers them a lot more to the slinky, loud ones. ;)

Well done!

Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

I can see how that whiskey pattern is sexy… (maybe not for me… I like plain wood finishes)

Let’s see that the D28 as well! Photos brother!

I need to put an acoustic back in my life… My wife is bugging me to get one as she prefers them a lot more to the slinky, loud ones. ;)

Well done!

Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

I can see how that whiskey pattern is sexy… (maybe not for me… I like plain wood finishes)

Let’s see that the D28 as well! Photos brother!
Yeah, that whiskey pattern is certainly different. They originally made an all black version they called “black smoke”. I was first drawn to it, due to my love of the man in black, Johnny Cash, but they are no where to be found.

Anyway - here’s my #1 acoustic - the iconic D-28:

BFCA226E-07E5-413E-9352-EECCE3698AB2.jpeg
66BEA900-020D-4AEA-A3C6-7F6CEC89B856.jpeg

Congrats! I love Acoustics. I played an Acoustic for ten years exclusively
before picking up an electric again.

Everyone needs a campfire guitar. My first Acoustic was an Yamaha and it has been on canoe
camping trips and expeditions, been rained on, smoked over, left out at night, and abused and
initiated like only a campfire guitar can be. :beer

Everyone needs a campfire guitar. My first Acoustic was an Yamaha and it has been on canoe
camping trips and expeditions, been rained on, smoked over, left out at night, and abused and
Haha. That’s awesome. Yeah, I want this guitar to be just like that! Ridden hard and put away wet. LMAO.

Nice!!!!

I was thinking about making an acoustic thread this past weekend when I took mine off the wall to actually play instead of just recording overdubs with. I used to play acoustic so much more than I do now and had a good number of acoustic covers when I was thinking I was going to start doing solo acoustic shows around Boston…..I just had too much fun getting shitfaced and thinking about doing solo shows.

My last acoustic is currently residing in a mango tree at my old house. It was just a cheap Carlo Robelli my former band members bought as a birthday/breakup gift when I split with an ex, but I played the shiiiiiiit out of that thing and it actually sounded really good. I have the pics somewhere, but one drunken night it got the oven burner treatment and had a nice 3/4 bullseye on it from the element, a knife shoved through the top of the guitar for no real reason and a bunch of other drunken damage.

Nice!!!!

I was thinking about making an acoustic thread this past weekend when I took mine off the wall to actually play instead of just recording overdubs with. I used to play acoustic so much more than I do now and had a good number of acoustic covers when I was thinking I was going to start doing solo acoustic shows around Boston…..I just had too much fun getting shitfaced and thinking about doing solo shows.
There are some cool acoustic covers out there for sure! That would be a fun solo gig! (Unfortunately I don’t have a great singing voice).

My last acoustic is currently residing in a mango tree at my old house. It was just a cheap Carlo Robelli my former band members bought as a birthday/breakup gift when I split with an ex, but I played the shiiiiiiit out of that thing and it actually sounded really good. I have the pics somewhere, but one drunken night it got the oven burner treatment and had a nice 3/4 bullseye on it from the element, a knife shoved through the top of the guitar for no real reason and a bunch of other drunken damage.
LMAO!

..I just had too much fun getting shitfaced and thinking about doing solo shows.

Haha! I have a High School friend (Tiger) who still does that. Will call me drunk off his ass (only ever calls when he is shitfaced!)
and say, "Daaaaaaave! We need to do something together! Just the two of us and a couple of acoustics."

:facepalm

He's never really done anything musically. Has gear, and I have sold him a few amps and guitars. He just loves the
beers way too much. 12 pack a day type of guy and a case a day on the weekends. Fucker somehow gets up and
works everyday and never calls in. He's a beast in that way.

He was also always more talented than I was. We started to play at the same time. He could sing, had a better ear than I,
and had more swag than I, and it came easier to him. I had to grind harder.

Maybe having to grind for every step along the way is not so bad. ::idk

Your post reminded me I need to call him back, because the other night I didn't pick up. Been there. Done that. :LOL:

I recently went to see an acoustic duo. They did a nice mix of rock songs from the 80s current, plus “sing along” friendly songs, plus funny songs (Stephen Lynch), and some jokes / banter throughout. One was the main/lead guitarist. The other was a basic rhythm guitarist. Both either shared or took turns with vocals.

They were great and really entertaining! In a small sports bar with maybe 50-60 people?

Is everyone here hard rockers or metal players? Or do we have any that enjoy some laid back flatpicking or fingerpicking?

Well, this is what I’ve been spending most of my time playing lately

F5864548-F22D-46FF-AE61-B8C9A6BC5B6F.jpeg

I’m with you on acoustics that aren’t too precious to bring out and play. I recently sold my Taylor for that very reason. I can appreciate expensive acoustics, but I’m happier with less expensive ones I don’t feel a need to baby.

Congrats on the Martin! It looks like a J45! I’ve never played one of these but I’m a big fan of slope shoulder dreadnoughts!

Back