New Metallica for everyone to hate on!

I’d imagine a lot of Megadeth’s writing sessions are Dave laying out the groundwork and then just approving/giving suggestions to the other guys. I doubt Dave is sitting there telling Kiko, “Ok, start this solo in E phrygian with dotted 16th notes and then I want you to slide into F# harmonic minor and do a 6-string sweep into an Emin pentatonic lick…..blah blah”, I’d assume it’s much more, “Hey Dave, what do ya think of this?”

”Cool, record it. Maybe not quite as busy in the middle section, but yeah, go for it”

Once I get home and wash off the work day I’m cracking open a half gallon of Ketel One, having a few cocktails then throwing this on. My expectations of them are fairly neutral/I know what to expect, so it won’t take a lot to impress me. Overall, I’m a bigger fan of seeing them live than I am listening to their albums.
Dang, I was hoping you were going to say that you were going to crack open a Bud Light. They've been popular lately.

IT'S MY OPINION YOU CAN CRY IF YOU WANT TO

im not crying youre crying GIF

:LOL:

The album sounds like music for Nascar commercials or movie dive bar fight scenes.
Its ok. I play the way I do because of Metallica so I can never truly hate them... but am always slightly disappointed on new releases. I think if they did come out with some truly heavy ass songs their new fans would probably be like where the fck is my nascar music?

Didn't you post an original with some NASCAR dirt tracking as the accompanying video footage?

:idk

:LOL:

I’d imagine a lot of Megadeth’s writing sessions are Dave laying out the groundwork and then just approving/giving suggestions to the other guys. I doubt Dave is sitting there telling Kiko, “Ok, start this solo in E phrygian with dotted 16th notes and then I want you to slide into F# harmonic minor and do a 6-string sweep into an Emin pentatonic lick…..blah blah”, I’d assume it’s much more, “Hey Dave, what do ya think of this?”

”Cool, record it. Maybe not quite as busy in the middle section, but yeah, go for it”
So, what I hear you saying is when Dave isn't happy with something a band member writes, he sends them a photo of his butthole and bans them? Asking for a friend...

So, what I hear you saying is when Dave isn't happy with something a band member writes, he sends them a photo of his butthole and bans them? Asking for a friend...

No banning necessary, just the photo. Looking that person directly in the eye and holding contact until it’s uncomfortable, after the fact, is the real punishment!

I think people don’t realize that these bands come into our lives and have an impact on us when we’re on the same wavelength; Metallica in the 80’s was delivering the same ferocity that people their age were looking for and it worked for several years after, but like any relationship, people grow and change, often moving in opposite directions of where they started. Sometimes those changing directions continue to cross paths at certain points and other times they‘re just gone and will never cross paths again.

Seems a lot of people would be far better off realizing their relationship with Metallica ended a long time ago and hoping to relive the nostalgia of year’s gone is an effort in futility and disappointment. They’ve long moved on and seem very content with where they’re at, me thinks it’s due their former fans do the same.

Amen! So true! Well said, Rev. :beer

There's an whole lot of psychology in "criticism." An entire field of study (literary criticism) has been devoted to
unpacking that kind of amalgamation of things. No one looks at a blank canvas. We all project---our own fears,
fantasies, longings, denials, forms of envy, and jealousy, bitterness, and an entire cadre of thoughts, emotions, and
feelings.

Sometimes people are also flat-lined emotionally and a bit apathetic and so everything feels "Meh" (which seems
especially prevalent in our oversaturated times). Doesn't mean all criticism is invalid.... just means we should take
most of it (especially on the Interent!) with far less than a grain of salt.

There are some damn fine tunes on this release.

It is mastered like a Motherfucker.... again. No dynamic range. I know it is
a sort of industry standard these days, but why would someone mash to the
hilt music they spent months working on and then BAM! gut it of any kind of
dynamics. It's all hot all the time.

Not many quiet bits on the Album. I am not sure I have heard a clean tone yet. :LOL:

I love that contrast they used to exhibit.... but it is missing from these songs. :idk

Ok, one thing---there is not much tempo variety on the new album., They kind of stick in a specific
"speed limit" and hang there. One semi-dirgey tune, and :idk not many high-tempo bangers.

Just an observation.

Amen! So true! Well said, Rev. :beer

There's an whole lot of psychology in "criticism." An entire field of study (literary criticism) has been devoted to
unpacking that kind of amalgamation of things. No one looks at a blank canvas. We all project---our own fears,
fantasies, longings, denials, forms of envy, and jealousy, bitterness, and an entire cadre of thoughts, emotions, and
feelings.

Sometimes people are also flat-lined emotionally and a bit apathetic and so everything feels "Meh" (which seems
especially prevalent in our oversaturated times). Doesn't mean all criticism is invalid.... just means we should take
most of it (especially on the Interent!) with far less than a grain of salt.
Man, yoo tawk purtier'n na teen doller hore!

I know we've jumped the shark in thread as far as ability to change a mind one way or another. Posting this nonetheless.

I like parts of this tune? Those aren't Lars legs :unsure: :rofl If they swapped out the "modulate up to our seemingly used a bunch on this album new stock riff in A" parts with "modulate down to something evil" instead it'd kill I think :unsure:

Production on these have been great.

Last edited:
I think the thing I dig the most about these is that they feel more like a throwback to early 80's metal. Nothing has really jumped out and made me want to listen repeatedly but these guys really can't do any wrong in my world. My only negative comment would be in regards to the sound of the kick, it just doesn't blend with the rest of the kit. Everything else sounds fairly natural but those kicks are EQ'd and compressed to hell and back, they sound like bubbles popping with bass added to them

Also dig the not-so-distorted guitars, gives it more of that classic sound. I dig that they're generally doing something different with their tones album to album.

I think the thing I dig the most about these is that they feel more like a throwback to early 80's metal. Nothing has really jumped out and made me want to listen repeatedly but these guys really can't do any wrong in my world. My only negative comment would be in regards to the sound of the kick, it just doesn't blend with the rest of the kit. Everything else sounds fairly natural but those kicks are EQ'd and compressed to hell and back, they sound like bubbles popping with bass added to them

Also dig the not-so-distorted guitars, gives it more of that classic sound. I dig that they're generally doing something different with their tones album to album.
Yeah, they can’t do much wrong IMO. But then again, they’re one of my all-time favorite bands. I’ve always wanted an ESP M-II, because of Kirk.

It's been about 7 years since their last album....think about this.. in about the same period of time, they released:

There's a theory making the rounds (maybe you have heard of it) that suggests artists of all stripes really can only
remain at their peak for roughly an 8 year period. If you think of the iconic bands (Van Halen and Zeppelin also come to
mind) that theory seems to hold some water. Not saying there are not exceptions. But it seems really hard to maintain
that level of output and do it in such a ground-breaking way. :idk

I am stoked they are still "chugging" along. Pun intended. But yeah, only a fool would argue that the recent material
is anywhere close to being as timeless and impactful as those Albums from 83-91.

Ok, after few days I can say that this is my favorite album since load/reload.

It's not great, songs are often unnecessary long, there are a couple of fillers but I like the overall personality of this record.

Back