Neural DSP Quad Cortex Firmware Update Thread

Just installed. I'm very pleased, actually. :) JP2C is a blast, global bypass is cleverly implemented. Capture menus are a big improvement, though navigating will still be challenging in large folders (e.g. Factory Captures.) All of the cloud content that hasn't been categorized is now useless, as anticipated. I'll probably nuke my QC and start from scratch, being careful not to download anything "generic".

Still don't understand why the UI for adding blocks has to be any different from the UI for replacing blocks. But the UI has been refined across the board. Nothing has changed for the worse (excepting maybe a new scrollbar in one of the menus.) Looking good.

When you add one of the amps that has been revised does it default to the new version? How much “better” do they sound? (I didn’t care for any of the Diezel models before, and of course I thought the SLO was underwhelming)

Yeah I'm also interested in particular how the updated SLO sounds, especially when compared to the plugin version or captures of the modern SLO100. I always thought it was the worst model in the unit, just couldn't dial it to sound good.

It is now possible to create up to 5 Cloud backups. You are also able to edit, update, or delete each backup.
That's a pretty good improvement. In absence of a computer editor should make the unit more reliable when you have multiple backups.

I would have probably gone for 3 single channel amp models over one 3 channel model but I am sure the JP2C will be well liked.

Overall the number of fixes, improvements and additions in this is pretty large so I am not at all surprised that it took them a long time to develop and test all that.

Being able to de-link the master volume is cool. One less thing in the signal chain that might affect unity gain possibilities or not (FX only use) so I like that. I do that all the time on my Helix though.

Hybrid mode looks a bit too simple and limited. You can't assign to individual switches, only as rows. And I'm going to assume that they've not fixed the midi commands being shared across all modes, otherwise they'd state it. It's a pretty big bug that they've never addressed.

Loadsa cool amps and captures, but doesn't really get my juicest flowing for buying another one when I've got 300+ amps in the Helix and Axe FX III combined, as well as ToneX on desktop which I think sounds better than QC (and Kemper!).

Dual IR block is fine. Not gamechanging, but glad they added it.

I like the improvements they've added to the capture functionality.

Not an earth shattering update, but not useless frilly shite either. It's a bit cool, a bit meh... I give it a 6/10.

Looking at this, some notes:
  • The capture inputs and outputs are now more easy to understand which is nice.
  • Seeing a type for the capture is very useful. It was impossible to tell them apart before.
  • Metadata being optional is a mistake, it really should be mandatory especially when it's just a few buttons and actually useful for every user. At least you can amend it later.
  • Don't know if there are any improvements to the process or if you still need to drudge through those tutorials every time because making multiple captures was a bit of a chore on the QC.

I still don't really love the Directory design. They probably have a technical reason for those banks (like memory partitioning) but to me it seems like a pointless system when folders would serve the same purpose better. At least it will scroll to the next bank if you keep scrolling. In any case it does look like an improvement and is probably alright now.

Having an easy to access search is a good feature. Makes it less of a chore to find the right capture or IR.

The sounds are not great in this video. The clean sounds are good but the driven sounds are mostly not. Maybe this was supposed to have a backing track which would work with how those are dialed in? Either they sound too thin or too tubby to me.

Updated today.

IR Loader is useful and made a few of my presets less clunky.

Soldano models don't sound awful anymore. JP2C is decent. Search function for profiles is a nice addition, especially seeing as how many factory captures were added.

Hybrid mode and the way you assign it, for a supposed "feature", seems pretty limited compared to what FAS/L6 let you do.

No stereo pitch detune either! Heresy.

Do you happen to have the Petrucci plugin? I wonder how those models compare with it.
I'm afraid I don't. I had the trial version at one point, but it lapsed before I could spend much time with it.

When you add one of the amps that has been revised does it default to the new version? How much “better” do they sound? (I didn’t care for any of the Diezel models before, and of course I thought the SLO was underwhelming)
Yes, my understanding is that the amp/effect blocks default to the new version. I didn't get as far as comparing revised amps to old ones. I got stuck into the JP2C channel 2 model (pull switches and 5-ch. EQ huzzah!) for what little time I had, and spent the rest trying to convince myself that Captures could be found more easily. (We'll need to emphasize "more".)

Updated today.

IR Loader is useful and made a few of my presets less clunky.

Soldano models don't sound awful anymore. JP2C is decent. Search function for profiles is a nice addition, especially seeing as how many factory captures were added.

Hybrid mode and the way you assign it, for a supposed "feature", seems pretty limited compared to what FAS/L6 let you do.

No stereo pitch detune either! Heresy.

“Doesn’t sound awful” = Good

or

“Doesn’t sound awful”

?

:rofl

I'm kinda of astounded they're calling this update a 2.0. Lots of quality of life fixes, don't get me wrong... but no real significant updates.

I feel bad for poor DiGItaL jOhN who had to shoot a video and announce, with a straight face, that the WiFi MAC now being visible in the settings is a big deal.
I assumed this fixed the issues with the WiFi, but perhaps not? My QC was horrible with WiFi.

I'm kinda of astounded they're calling this update a 2.0. Lots of quality of life fixes, don't get me wrong... but no real significant updates.
Not sure I agree. I mean, a pile of new models would have been nice, but I'm not sure adding content to an OS that already supports that content would have warranted a major revision bump, either. If anything, I think all of the systemic changes (menu overhauls, capture process overhaul, cloud upload/download overhaul) are better described by a major revision change.

I feel bad for poor DiGItaL jOhN who had to shoot a video and announce, with a straight face, that the WiFi MAC now being visible in the settings is a big deal.
Did he say it was a big deal, though?

I think there's some good stuff in there. Mind blowing? Not really.

The Wifi Mac address certainly didn't need its own section. I bet there is like that one guy who has been complaining about this all the time and they just wanted to shut him up. I can't think of any use for knowing this except configuring your wifi router in a specific way, aka 0.01% of users will have use for it.

The Wifi Mac address certainly didn't need its own section. I bet there is like that one guy who has been complaining about this all the time and they just wanted to shut him up. I can't think of any use for knowing this except configuring your wifi router in a specific way, aka 0.01% of users will have use for it.

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff which is useful to have, but at the same time, it's literally a line of text in the info box. No idea why it's even highlighted in the release video as a feature.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 233040.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-25 040318.jpg

Please, NDSP, you need to switch to rolling updates over WiFi.

Last edited:
This makes me LOL. This update is massive. Should it have been released a year ago or more? Definitely. But it is huge for end users and makes the device significantly more competitive. IMHO.

Re the WiFi thing. It's one of a gazillion tweaks, there's nothing wrong with presenting it in the vid. It's hardly being sold as some kind of groundbreaking thing just one of the laundry list of items added. Someone might read that in the notes and wonder what it is or where to find it... Nitpicking like this bears out folks bias more than it makes any kind of salient point, IMHO.

Last edited:
Back