NDSP Quad Cortex

Hey, I had a brand new Helix Floor freeze on me during an update, never even got to use it, totally brickwalled. Brought it back to the store and they couldn't revive it either.

I can say though, that neither the FM3 nor FM9 I had froze up, ever. (Although @SwirlyMaple certainly had issues with his.) Kemper Stage never did, either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In terms of problems I've had:
  • Kemper is super unreliable especially plugged into my computer. Rig Manager has problems with memory leaks and drops connection constantly. The toaster has always hard locked on me several times across multiple devices. As a standalone device though I don't think there's many issues.
  • Headrush would freeze on me occasionally, again across multiple devices. The computer interface is real troublesome as an external drive. There was a time it hard locked and I had to completely factory reset everything to get it to function again.
  • My Helix units have been generally quite reliable. On the latest firmware, my HX Stomp will sometimes freeze with no audio and requires a hard reboot. That's happened a few times but not predictably.
  • Fractal devices have only crashed or locked maybe once or twice in many years of using them across multiple devices. Very reliable. Oh, I forgot I had the FM3 headphone feedback issue on the first gen unit but they fixed it under warranty and no problems afterwards.
  • Boss GT units have never had an issue although I don't use them as much.

I actually like the current IR loading process. You can dump them on the cloud without having the QC connected and then download them selectively to the device wirelessly. I mass dumped my Yorks to have the available but then just installed the M01’s.

It was also really cool to just have them there when I went back and tried the QC for the second time, everything was already sitting in my cloud account and I downloaded everything I wanted without having to do anything else.

I have the same thought actually, I loaded a ton of stuff to it and fairly quickly realized I don't like that approach. I'm planning to delete everything and just load a handful of IR's instead. Probably just the Mix 01 from York and some of the top Ownhammer IR's.

I can say though, that neither the FM3 nor FM9 I had froze up, ever. (Although @SwirlyMaple certainly had issues with his.) Kemper Stage never did, either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have had the most issues with the FM3 out of the modelers I've owned. Track record for current gen stuff:
  • QC with first release fw. I think I managed to get it to lock up once?
  • FM3. No audio, distorted/low volume audio. Non-working footswitch or footswitch display.
  • Axe-Fx 3. Crashed once on the first week I owned it.
  • Helix Floor. Crashed once or twice.
By the time I sold my FM3 it all worked just fine tho. Hardware with heavy software component as complex as these have all kinds of edge cases that might cause the occasional hickup.

Hooked up a couple pedals out front and it seems better than I tried this morning, maybe it's the amp model.

I have a Jackson Audio Golden Boy Mini which is a Bluesbreaker type pedal that I honestly don't really like that much. I actually prefer the Bluesbreaker OD pedal in the device as the EQ is a little more pleasing. But volume and gain seem similar enough.

Then the MXR Fat Sugar which is a Klon clone, that's pretty close to the Klon in the QC. The MXR has a little more clarity and cleans up a little better but it could be pot values as well. The MXR with the gain off will clip the input with volume at noon so hard to compare.

Is there a way to scroll through the captures available without owning a QC? A place that lists all models currently included in QC?

Is there a way to scroll through the captures available without owning a QC? A place that lists all models currently included in QC?
Are you talking about the factory-installed content, or all of the user (and additional NDSP) stuff on the cloud, or both?

I think the factory stuff is listed in the owners manual or one of the addenda. You should be able to Google for that. As for the cloud stuff, you’d need to make an account and search for specific content. There’s tons of it. (Arguably too much.)

EDIT: Jarick with the tl;dr lol.

Are you talking about the factory-installed content, or all of the user (and additional NDSP) stuff on the cloud, or both?

I think the factory stuff is listed in the owners manual or one of the addenda. You should be able to Google for that. As for the cloud stuff, you’d need to make an account and search for specific content. There’s tons of it. (Arguably too much.)

EDIT: Jarick with the tl;dr lol.
Thanks!

In terms of problems I've had:
  • Kemper is super unreliable especially plugged into my computer. Rig Manager has problems with memory leaks and drops connection constantly. The toaster has always hard locked on me several times across multiple devices. As a standalone device though I don't think there's many issues.
Kemper is my favorite device,i dont have all the Kemper issues you are mention here,my second favorite device is the QC and the third one is the Axe 3

you will love the QC

Kemper is my favorite device,i dont have all the Kemper issues you are mention here,my second favorite device is the QC and the third one is the Axe 3

you will love the QC
Not that I'm one to talk but it you aren't a fan of the Axe Fx, why do you have it?

I keep my QC around because I don't want to buy it again later when I know I'll be interested again 😂

And I mean this in a sense that I've seen you comment before and heck even on countless YT comparisons how the Axe Fx isn't good comparatively.

Last edited:
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Not that I'm one to talk but it you aren't a fan of the Axe Fx, why do you have it?

I keep my QC around because I don't want to buy it again later when I know I'll be interested again 😂

And I mean this in a sense that I've seen you comment before and heck even on countless YT comparisons how the Axe Fx isn't good comparatively.
Well, Christophe satiates the balls better than Cliff does, so.....

Back