Native Kontrol wins … over Nektar Panorama Controller

While 49 keys would be perfect for pretty much anything I do as well, I unfortunately thought I'd get more into orchestral libraries (which didn't happen...). And with those, 49 keys usually aren't working well as the articulation switches are located 1-2 octaves below the keys covering the actual sample content, so I went with a 61 key model. Has been a less than ideal decision because a) I didn't get more into orchestral stuff (and don't feel much of an urge, either), b) could only afford a Nektar at that time (would've had better choices in the 49 key realm) and c) the thing is now wasting some space for that additional octave.

352DE1CE-FF28-4F09-8FCE-49756481BD47.jpeg

Digging the native instruments kontroller… good feel in the keys and knobs. The keys are semi-weighted.

It only seems to be about 90% “installed” as I don’t have the NI files/graphics/instruments loaded on the keyboard (indicating easy access to the instruments).

This is a stumbling block, but otherwise everything else is working perfectly. (Actually easier to play the Logic instruments.)

I believe this is because of the Apple Silicon. Logic is currently running in Rosetta in order to support the native instruments S49 kontroller.

Here I just pressed the [mixer] button on the keyboard, and it maps automatically to the faders in Logic.

Super nice to be able to drive the faders/pots from a physical device other than a mouse.

Last edited:
It only seems to be about 90% “installed” as I don’t have the NI files/graphics/instruments loaded on the keyboard (indicating easy access to the instruments).

I think for that to work you need to open them via Komplete Kontrol, which then more or less directly communicates with the keyboard. Don't take my word for it, though.

I think for that to work you need to open them via Komplete Kontrol, which then more or less directly communicates with the keyboard. Don't take my word for it, though.

Thank you, Sascha… I am open to all suggestions.

I’d really like it to function fully and properly.

I know I have komplete kontrol somewhere in order to get the keyboard mated up properly, but clearly it’s not “fully integrated“

Thank you, Sascha… I am open to all suggestions.

I’d really like it to function fully and properly.

I know I have komplete kontrol somewhere in order to get the keyboard mated up properly, but clearly it’s not “fully integrated“
Yeah, don't launch a synth or sampler library. Launch (or insert an instance of) kontrol. The use it to find the sound you are going for and integration.

I am quickly remembering why the NI ecosystem always seems cooler in theory than in practice with my M32. The degree of sub-menu-diving involved with just getting to a sound makes Kontrol super annoying.

I am quickly remembering why the NI ecosystem always seems cooler in theory than in practice with my M32. The degree of sub-menu-diving involved with just getting to a sound makes Kontrol super annoying.

For me it's especially their file/patch browsers. They're exceptionally bad on the individual plugins already (and partially even got worse over the years), but the worst file browser of them all has got to be the one coming with Komplete Kontrol. Small and clumsy, can't see more than 3 (!) patches at once as soon as you open the category filters above, rest of the UI is like the winner of a "let's waste as much space as possible" contest.
I like some NI products quite a bit and own Komplete Ultimate since years (I'm at version 12, very likely updating to 14 when their summer sale comes up), but they leave so much left to be desired it's beyond belief sometimes.

I spent way too much time messing with DAW controllers years ago and gave up. It was nice having a slider or two for automation, but nothing ever seemed to automap consistently, the pads were always too small to be helpful, and there always seemed to be this extra control layer that was never fully integrated. The Ableton controller for Live is great, but nothing's been seamless with Logic. Was hoping Apogee might make an Apple-approved controller to go with their Symphony system (which is great) but nope—ended up switching to Lynx (which sounds even better).

The one thing that's really helped is brute force saving and organizing of channel strips with every great synth preset. I never bother manually opening a softsynth any longer, and instead pick something from the channel strip browser in Logic. Building the library takes forever though—just slogging through Omnisphere's 14,800 presets took a week or more. If you do it right, maybe 1 out of 30-50 presets will go in the library, and if you have time, you can pre-assign EQ, compression, and other effects. But now the whole "spend 30 minutes looking for a sound" is completely gone—I can find the perfect sound for a song in seconds. Wish Logic supported metatagging channel strips tho'.

And learn your key commands!

I didn’t even realize DAW keyboard controllers were a thing until reading your post and googling. The rabbit hole goes deep lol
Dude……the ecosystems you can get into with this stuff is mind numbing. You think guitar gear goes overboard?

I own a Komplete Kontrol S61 MKII or some shit. It has 2 touch screens and a shitload of knobs and sliders. This was overkill. I wanted something with somewhat weighted keys that dont feel cheap and it checks that box. I’m not Liberace or some movie scorer that I’m going to use 99% of the features this thing does, even though I own Komplete. It perfectly integrates with Studio One so I get all my transport controls and tracks show up on the screens but I never use any of these features. I may have been able to go a little more economical in hindsight.

Back