NAD! The Sound of South Dakota <3

spawnofthesith

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
It’s here :love :love :love

21242DBB-77EA-4303-AEA9-11FD127CD9BF.jpeg

Obligatory Mesa tower
105AFFBF-10A4-4222-870E-79063EBF15CB.jpeg

This thing is AWESOME. Never played a Mesa that was this straight forward to dial in. Dead simple, but also tons of different sounds available every knob seems to be usable across the range

Cleans are nice, not as good as a mark but beats the 5153 for sure. Lots of cool breakup sounds going up the the gain knob. The high gain tones are just :love:chef though. What a rocking amp. Certainly doesn’t sound like your traditional rectos but I knew that going in. Bottom end is sick though that’sthe Biggest similarity to a rectifier imo. Plenty of gain for “modern metal” so not sure who started that rumor lol. Briefly experimented with boosting but honestly I just rarely prefer it. I automatically went to crush mode to get my high gain tones going but after some playing around found that I like crunch mode with the gain wide open was sounding epic for the brootz:love

I won’t comment on any “Marshally-ness” I’m not really a Marshall guy. My Marshall experience has mainly just been the jvm210. Which is an absolutely awesome amp but these gain tones tickle my fancy far more I can tell off the bat.

I spent most of demo time so far with my ce24 which is my de facto #1 at this point in time. But then I plugged in my Les Paul and holy shit it was like Zeus himself came down to nut lightening and thunder into my ear holes :love

Now my grievances:

1. No reverb. I know that’s a plus for some but I prefer onboard reverb even if it’s middling. All good though I can just add some simple reverb blocks to all my patches on the stomp and I’m good to go

2. Mesa makes my favorite tones but they always gotta have SOMETHING up with the loop that presents challenges for my hyper specific use case regarding looping. For my loops to be the same volume when changing channels the masters have to be set almost identical. There’s a little bit of wiggle room but not much. The thing is the modes definitely get louder progressively. I was able to get a “good enough” balanced levels but it did require running the gain knob for cleans slightly higher than I’d prefer so that I’m not losing too much volume. I’ll keep fiddling but I may just have to get more accustomed to tweaking volume knobs on the guitar to get my more pristine cleans when using this amp

2. Mesa makes my favorite tones but they always gotta have SOMETHING up with the loop that presents challenges for my hyper specific use case regarding looping. For my loops to be the same volume when changing channels the masters have to be set almost identical. There’s a little bit of wiggle room but not much. The thing is the modes definitely get louder progressively. I was able to get a “good enough” balanced levels but it did require running the gain knob for cleans slightly higher than I’d prefer so that I’m not losing too much volume. I’ll keep fiddling but I may just have to get more accustomed to tweaking volume knobs on the guitar to get my more pristine cleans when using this amp

You and JT need your own Acoustic Duo minus any FX Loops.

Moose GIF by Sony Pictures

:LOL:

Ok badlandites…. What am I doing wrong loading IRs on here these stock ones are comically horrible. What’s the proper khz? I tried 44 no work then Google told me 48, also no work….

EDIT: derp, thought I RTFM but I guess I glossed over the part where you have to have the same IR in both locations for channel 1 and 2... will give that a shot later and see if that works

Last edited:
You and JT need your own Acoustic Duo minus any FX Loops.

Moose GIF by Sony Pictures

:LOL:

I just discovered a new work aroind for the IV today… turns out when you have the presence knobs pulled on rhy2 and lead, no level change with the FX loop! Woohoo!

Still hope I can figure out something better than cutting wattage on the V though. I like 90 watts more better than 45 on channel 3 and even though that balances the levels there’s still a bit of a tone change

But yeah, sometimes it would be nice to not worry about all this crap. Always enjoy being second string lead guitar for this jam/funk group I have a gig with next week… no in ears/clicks/looping… just ripping solos for the most part and getting nice breaks in between :LOL:

Pulled my SD-1 off the shelf and went to pound town on my lunch just now. Hopefully didn’t piss off any neighbors :LOL:

I still don’t think it -needs- a boost but it’s definitely a sweet sound, more is more as they say lol.

No room for a dirt on my board, was A/Bing against my standard Timmy boost on the stomp, similar but different. I’m sure I can get closer playing around with other dirt models

If I could describe this amp in one would be THICK :love how anyone could play this amp and not dig it is beyond me. Instant gratification

Not sure if I tweaked something or what but my complaint about the volumes is fizzling away. I seem to be getting balanced volume for looping without breakup just fine todat :idk

Thursday can’t come soon enough to try with the band :satan

Pulled my SD-1 off the shelf and went to pound town on my lunch just now. Hopefully didn’t piss off any neighbors :LOL:

I still don’t think it -needs- a boost but it’s definitely a sweet sound, more is more as they say lol.

No room for a dirt on my board, was A/Bing against my standard Timmy boost on the stomp, similar but different. I’m sure I can get closer playing around with other dirt models

If I could describe this amp in one would be THICK :love how anyone could play this amp and not dig it is beyond me. Instant gratification

Not sure if I tweaked something or what but my complaint about the volumes is fizzling away. I seem to be getting balanced volume for looping without breakup just fine todat :idk

Thursday can’t come soon enough to try with the band :satan
Have you tried it with 6L6s yet? I go back and forth on which I prefer, but the 6L6 side of things is definitely an awesome and bit different sound with this amp.

Dude, I can't try my VII with the band for two weeks! :columbo

Glad you're loving the Badlander though! Mesa glory all around, these days!

wwe wrestling GIF

The struggle is real!

Hardly a struggle with the warm embrace of a mesa though :love

Still having a massive internal battle of being content with my madison 2x12 and changing the speakers or just doing a full send on a mesa vert/diagonal 2x12

Have you tried it with 6L6s yet? I go back and forth on which I prefer, but the 6L6 side of things is definitely an awesome and bit different sound with this amp.

Not yet, but I have a pair to try out in there. Was going to wait until trying the stock tubes with the band though before messing around with that. I have a feeling it might clean up/sweeten the clean mode a bit too

The struggle is real!

Still having a massive internal battle of being content with my madison 2x12 and changing the speakers or just doing a full send on a mesa vert/diagonal 2x12

Not yet, but I have a pair to try out in there. Was going to wait until trying the stock tubes with the band though before messing around with that. I have a feeling it might clean up/sweeten the clean mode a bit too

I’m very curious about those Mesa diagonal 2x12s, too! Top of my list for next cab to try, along with maybe the open-back 2x10, also lesser on that one.

The struggle is real!

I think it makes it sound closer to a dual rectifier. Especially if you run crunch mode with the gain high and the bass knob high, then boost it. It would pass for a dual rectifier like this IMO.

Honestly though... I like my mesa 1x12s so much that it makes me wonder if I really need a 2x12 at all. Huge internal conflict lol

I’m loving this new open-back 19” 1x12 so much with the VII, I’m actually thinking of getting a second one to put beside it and angle both up at me at gigs, same as I do with my Recto 2x12. Except this would allow me to skip the taking off the back wheels part and just prop something under the front of these, if that makes sense.

The lightness of the single 1x12s is hard to resist.

As for the Badlander, I know you’re not a crunch guy, but it’s worth trying out overdriving the Clean mode. That was actually my favourite sound I got out of it.

Back