NAD: I’m such a big fan of mini amplifiers. EL84s are just the best!!

I would **never** buy the RK combo, yeah that's absolute insanity and 100% where I draw the line on weight.
I once tried to put a 2:90 and a 50/50 in a rack with 2 preamps and a processor. Immediately found out why bigger bands have roadies! :columbo

"Absolute insanity," you say??

Guilty!!! :LOL:

I don't ever want to gig on the regular again, but taking this amp out is something I definitely
want to do at least once or twice more before I perish. :headbang

20220614_201149.jpg

"Absolute insanity," you say??

Guilty!!! :LOL:

I don't ever want to gig on the regular again, but taking this amp out is something I definitely
want to do at least once or twice more before I perish. :headbang

View attachment 2417
I think you might perish from trying to move it!

Seriously it makes me wonder why Mesa even makes some of their higher power amps as combos. At some point it just makes more sense to have it as a head and cab, and usually that time is when you have a 50-100+ watt high gain amp with big ass transformers and a pile of tubes.

But getting back to the Road King, that was one insane amp and we will likely never see one like it again, for good reason to be honest. It's one of those overly complicated things where you could strip down a bunch of the switcharoo without losing much. Which is why I guess they made the Roadster.

Something with this many features would be better off being digitally controlled.

But getting back to the Road King, that was one insane amp and we will likely never see one like it again, for good reason to be honest. It's one of those overly complicated things where you could strip down a bunch of the switcharoo without losing much. Which is why I guess they made the Roadster.

Something with this many features would be better off being digitally controlled.
Agreed 100%. It has a ton of options I’ll never use, but the biggest feature of the RK to me isn’t so much ALL the options, but the option to run blended EL34s and 6L6s like the Mark amps. If they made a Simuclass Recto, it could still be in a smaller Badlander style format. I’d love to see a Recto preamp (Clean/Pushed, Vintage/Modern) with a simulclass power section.

I feel like if I had kept the RK I tested for a few days, I would've taken it to a tech while it was working, just so he could get some benchmark test values or whatever, so that in the event it ever did require service, he wouldn't be completely without a clue where to begin. Or at least ask him if that idea would help. They sure are complicated.

I see these pop up occasionally on CList and am tempted to pick one up. I have wanted one since they came out. Congrats!

D

Someone needs to make the Coral Castle Amp Dolly.

For those who don’t know about the Coral Castle, it’s a mini “castle” made entirely of giant blocks of coral, this tiny little Lithuanian dude built it in the 1920’s/30’s by himself-

The-Coral-Castle-X.jpg

Using this-
ZI-0BUF-2013-WNT00-IDSI-46-1

Surely if this dude, with a 3rd grade education, could figure out how to lift 90 ton blocks of coral by himself, we can create the first forum-branded/Coral Castle-stolen amp dolly. We’ll put the modeling world out of business when everyone can lift their tube amps with ease!

I’ll be back in 4 hours, I expect a working model by then.

Someone needs to make the Coral Castle Amp Dolly.

For those who don’t know about the Coral Castle, it’s a mini “castle” made entirely of giant blocks of coral, this tiny little Lithuanian dude built it in the 1920’s/30’s by himself-

The-Coral-Castle-X.jpg

Using this-
ZI-0BUF-2013-WNT00-IDSI-46-1

Surely if this dude, with a 3rd grade education, could figure out how to lift 90 ton blocks of coral by himself, we can create the first forum-branded/Coral Castle-stolen amp dolly. We’ll put the modeling world out of business when everyone can lift their tube amps with ease!

I’ll be back in 4 hours, I expect a working model by then.

I can already imagine it looks like a chairlift for home.

"Did you just buy a Vox AC30 and can't lift it upstairs for some sweet blues jams? Well, don't worry, our patent-pending BackSaver™ brings your new baby up before you can say 'A bit of caries in the upper left incisor'!"

"Going to a gig with your Mesa Road King 2x12 combo but you encountered a flight of stairs? Worry not, the BackSaver™ takes you from a common streetwalker to rockstar in no time!"

"Are those dual 8x10 SVT cabs breaking your back? Let the BackSaver™ hoist them up on stage so your audience can truly learn what 'brown sound' means!"

I have no problem with EL-84’s unlike others. I generally use them in lower volume situations and they do fine… which makes sense to me. I also use EL-34’s in lower watt amps like the SC-20H and it sounds fine too… but not as good as 50 or 100 watt EL-34 heads. So I tend to look at application more than using generalizations with tubes. How loud does it need to be? How much headroom? Is power amp tube distortion involved? And so forth. This approach has served me pretty well. I also don’t worry so much about watts as a result.

$110 or so on Parts Express, and about an hour of work and I can see my settings now. The silver dot on silver knobs was not doing it for me.
View attachment 4200
View attachment 4199

This is a good idea, I'm tempted to do this on my roadster. The silver on silver definitely isn't easy even in a bright room, can't imagine on stage lol

The blacked out look is pretty fresh looking too

I have no problem with EL-84’s unlike others. I generally use them in lower volume situations and they do fine… which makes sense to me. I also use EL-34’s in lower watt amps like the SC-20H and it sounds fine too… but not as good as 50 or 100 watt EL-34 heads. So I tend to look at application more than using generalizations with tubes. How loud does it need to be? How much headroom? Is power amp tube distortion involved? And so forth. This approach has served me pretty well. I also don’t worry so much about watts as a result.
While I do agree that EL84 amps sound good when properly used like this, for amps where it's a smaller version of a big iron amp, there's still a tonal difference. For example, the Badlanders, 6505, Marks, etc. The small ones sound great, but they're definitely different in sound to their big brothers. The BL25 lacks thump even when played at like 90dB, compared to the 50/100.

I had the Road King 1 for a while . Great but weighs a f#ckton and costs shitload to retube. I remember the conversation with the Boogie rep as to what was the greater a shitload or a f#ckton? :rofl
I'll never forget when I went to borrow my friend's RKII for a gig. I went to his house and picked it up, and as soon as I picked it up, walked it outside and put it in my car, I knew I wasn't going to use it because of how heavy it was :LOL: .

I could have just turned right around and said, "nah", but I didn't want to look like a psycho.

I had the Road King 1 for a while . Great but weighs a f#ckton and costs shitload to retube. I remember the conversation with the Boogie rep as to what was the greater a shitload or a f#ckton? :rofl
Eh, it's actually smaller than full size EVH and Marshall heads. Having owned this for a few months now, it's not as complex as you might think with all those options on the back, and it's heavy, sure, but only a few pounds more than a dual or triple rec.

If I ever gig again, I could see playing it live. Once it's up on the 4x12 it's on wheels anyway. I've played live with 6, 8, and 12 space racks, so my perspective on amp weight may be an outlier :rofl

Eh, it's actually smaller than full size EVH and Marshall heads. Having owned this for a few months now, it's not as complex as you might think with all those options on the back, and it's heavy, sure, but only a few pounds more than a dual or triple rec.

If I ever gig again, I could see playing it live. Once it's up on the 4x12 it's on wheels anyway. I've played live with 6, 8, and 12 space racks, so my perspective on amp weight may be an outlier :rofl
Is it hell smaller. It is twice as deep as a regular Marshall and weighs double. Also my old rack was 22U and I used to use 6 4x12s and 6 super leads all on so I know what heavy looks like.

Back