NAD: Ceriatone Hot Rodded Plexi King Kong 50

Holy f$#@ :headbang :satan :satan :satan

So many tonal, feel, and saturation options. Then I found the "pussy trimmer" pot on the backside. 🤯

I've got some real work to do before I can dig into this beast later this evening, but first impression = :chef

Congrats! How do you like it compared to the JVM?

If I ever delve into marshall world again I'm pretty sure It'll be one of these ceriatones
I love the JVM, but for me it's difficult to get all 4 channels working harmoniously. So many great sounds, but not necessarily usable within the same context. Also it's very rude and super noisy, but that's also part of its charm.

This KK50 is dead quiet and even though it's only two channels, it has so many voicing options I believe it'll be much more useable for me in a live setting.

I love the JVM, but for me it's difficult to get all 4 channels working harmoniously. So many great sounds, but not necessarily usable within the same context. Also it's very rude and super noisy, but that's also part of its charm.

This KK50 is dead quiet and even though it's only two channels, it has so many voicing options I believe it'll be much more useable for me in a live setting.

Ugh

*pulls up reverb and unzips pants*

I noticed huge volume drops when engaging the clipping circuits (ERA switches, right & left positions).

Turns out that the overall loudness is still available but shifted since the taper of the MV controls is affected.

No issues using the unbuffered effects loop with my pedalboard, most likely because I have an active buffered out (Goodwood Audio TX Underfacer) going from my board to the send on the KK50.

No boost needed, but does help when dropping 2 whole steps via the Hx One polyshift.

Also quite a bit of fun pushing the front of the amp with my Halcyon Green. Totally brutal pushing the 18V Timmy into either channel.

I'm having way too much fun for a Tuesday!

Only complaint so far is that there are not any LEDs on the chassis to indicate the currently selected channel and Solo engagement.

Also, the Solo MV "channel" can only be activated via the footswitch.

The two button footswitch does have LEDs for channel 2 (green) and Solo (red).

Channel 2 and Solo share BMT, gain 1, gain 2, and bright cap settings, but have independent MV and Era (voicing) 3-position switches. The Era clippers on channel 2 are symmetrical, and they are asymmetrical on Solo. Very cool.

:satan :satan post #666 for me :satan :satan

The anp is housed in an immaculate USA made Sour Mash head cabinet.

Get Away Woman GIF by Max

The volume drop with the diodes engaged is totally normal.
yes, I figured that out when I turned the MV pot and noticed the how quickly the volume ramped up between 6 and 7.

I've been playing Boogies for the past 30+ years. This is my first exposure to "Jose" mod diode clippers. Oh so good once I got over my reluctance (fear) to crank the MV.
:beer

TLDR

Here is the complete build log.

Part 1 of 5

Ceriatone Hot Rodded Plexi Custom King Kong 50

This is a new beautifully built King Kong 50 amplifier head. This was built by a local Florida guru amp builder and housed in a USA made Sour Mash head cabinet. The amp has been tweaked and many upgraded components and sounds wonderful.

Build Log​

Objective:​

I wanted to go with a full-on multi-channel build that would have both a high gain channel and a standard Plexi / 2204 style channel. The solo boost is icing on the cake. This seems like the ideal design for a ‘do it all’ amp, without the need to plan on using outboard pedals to get enough dirt. Either way, I will definitely be voicing one channel as a Plexi / 2204 channel, and I’ll want it to sound as ‘vintage correct’ as possible. ALL NOS in Preamp.

King Kong 50 Build​

1/11/22:​

• Mounted OT Transformer & choke in chassis.
  • Organized hardware: pots, jacks, tube sockets, filter cap brackets, filter caps, switch’s & pilot light.
  • Put electrical components aside.
  • Prepped pots & set aside.

1/12/22:​

• Prepped preamp & power tube sockets prior to install (jumpers, resistors, etc.).
  • Assembled & soldered voltage doubling/rectifier board for 12v relay power supply.

1/13/22:​

• Installed filter cap cans.
  • Installed blanks on unused tube sockets.
  • Installed preamp & power tube sockets.

1/14/22:​

• Installed ground lugs throughout chassis.
  • Installed terminal strips for AC & DC power for 12v relays.
  • Installed stand-offs for turret boards.
  • Checked & tightened all ground tabs, stand-off & terminal strip bolts.
  • Mounted Power Transformer.
  • Installed 50K (linear) bias pot.
  • Using drill, twisted filament/heater wires from PT.
  • Connected 6vac filament/heater supply from PT to 6v AC terminal strip.
  • Assembled & connected faux CT for heater filaments with 2x 100R resistors at terminal strip.
  • Ran F1 & F2 6v AC wires from terminal strip to V7-V3.
  • Ran F1 & F2 wires from terminal strip to turret board 2 area for later connection (at diodes).
  • Installed jumpers on Bias Pot at lugs 2 & 3.
  • Ran Ground for Bias Pot.
  • Installed 470K dropping resistors in F1-F4 cap cans.
  • Install ground jumper & grounded F1-F4 Filter Cap Cans at chassis ground.
  • Completed wiring on F1-F4 filter cap cans.

1/15/22:​

• Ground unused triode of V3 (connect pins 6-8 to ground).
  • Ran F3 & F4 6v DC filament heater wires to V1 & V2 tube sockets leaving supply end for later connection to turret board 2 (bottom/left 2 turrets).
  • Cut & capped filament CT from PT.
  • Connected OT primary wires to power tubes, pin 3.
  • Cut & capped HV CT.
  • Installed & secured rear panel with adhesive, using fuse holders & Pussy Trimmer pot to align panel.
  • Wired Bias Test Points.
  • Wire half power switch.
  • Braided & shrink-wrapped OT secondaries & ran between Bias pot & V5.
  • Wired OT secondaries to Impedance Selector.
  • Installed remaining rear panel hardware (5 pin footswitch jack, speaker & loop jacks).
  • Wired speaker jacks.
  • Wired loop jacks.
  • Grounded loop jacks with speaker jacks at bias pot ground).
  • Wired ‘Pussy Trimmer’ pot.
  • Ensured all grounds are grounded to designated ground point (bias test points, bias pot, speaker outputs, loop jacks, etc.).
  • Capped & wrapped all unused wires from PT.
  • Installed front panel with mains switch & mini switch temp. installed
  • Remove mini switch & with panel aligned, use 1/2 adhesive to secure.
  • Install mini switched & remove mains switch to stick other half of adhesive panel backing to chassis.
  • Deburred chassis holes as needed.
  • Wired mains switch to mains fuse holder (S1).
  • Ran wire from mains switch to IEC connector (S2).
  • Wired IEC hot to mains fuse holder.
  • Grounded IEC connector at dedicated chassis ground @ IEC connector.
  • Wired PT 120v (blue) & Neutral (black) to mains switch.
  • Wired .047uf cap to Standby switch.
  • Installed stand by switch.
  • Wired stand by switch to Filter Cap F1 (Y).
  • Ran wire from stand by switch to HT fuse holder (S4).
  • Wired S3 wire to standby switch for later connection at TB #1.
  • Installed Pilot light on front panel.
  • Installed 47R resistor on pilot light & wired with twisted wire pair from filament/heater connections at 6v AC terminal strip.

1/16/22:​

• Wired & connected each mini switch & associated pot, in order, from mains switch towards input jack.
  • Wired Presence & Resonance controls & installed caps on pots & switches.
  • Ran wire connecting Resonance pot, lug 1 @ 8 ohm tap on impedance selector.
  • Connected wiring between Tone controls.
  • Assembled the 2 x 12vdc relays & set aside.
  • Installed main ground buss above pots.
  • Installed secondary ground connection between Gain 1 & Gain 2 pots using 2” copper buss rod.
  • Grounded Main ground buss at input chassis ground.
  • Installed & wired input network on input jack.
  • Installed input jack.
  • Ran chassis ground for input jack.
  • Ran ground for ‘Feel’ & ‘Channel’ switches to input chassis ground (both are 2 way on/off switches).
  • Grounded clean channel ERA switch to main ground buss.

1/17/22:​

• Ran shielded cables from input jack to V1a terminal strip.
  • Ran shielded cables from V1a terminal strip to V3a terminal strip.
  • Wired grid stoppers & caps on terminal strips at V1a, V1b & V3a.
  • Ran shielded cable from channel 2, Gain 1 wiper to V1b terminal strip.
  • Ran shielded cable from channel 2, Gain 1 input for later connection to turret board.
  • Ran shielded cable from channel 2, Gain 2 wiper for later connection to turret board.
  • Ran shielded cable from channel 2, Gain 2 input for later connection to turret board.
  • Connected PTFE wires to 12v relay board #2 for later connection to destination.
  • Ran shielded cable from treble pot wiper for later connection to 12v Relay board #2.
  • Ran Shielded cables for Channel 2 Master Volume pot (to input from turret board, and from wiper to relay board #1).
  • Ran jumper from Master Volume input to Solo Volume input.
  • Ran Shielded cable from Solo Volume control wiper for later connection to 12v relay board #1.

Back