NAD: A cheapy but a rock solid sleeper I have wanted for years

I've got a few good Peavey's in my amp pile.

AbF1mRw.jpg

0MbtJKF.jpg

idZTrnG.png

I LOVE the Rock Master.

So yeah. I got it home and did the typical thing I do with any used amp. Cleaned out the jacks and the tube sockets with de-oxit and air and fired it up. Very happy. Got every penny's worth and more. Guy was not joking about telling me it's in like new condition. It looks like new.

Luscious clean channel and very good drive channel up til about noon then it starts to get into fizz city but sounds really good keeping the gain knob below noon so no harm in boosting it with something. The volume difference thing between the channels is definitely marked BUT turning the boost on and the volume on the gain channel up to about 9 is plenty enough volume for a gig or rehearsal.

I'd post pics but my phone wont do it justice. Maybe tomorrow when I can take it out into the sunlight.

So yeah. I got it home and did the typical thing I do with any used amp. Cleaned out the jacks and the tube sockets with de-oxit and air and fired it up. Very happy. Got every penny's worth and more. Guy was not joking about telling me it's in like new condition. It looks like new.

Luscious clean channel and very good drive channel up til about noon then it starts to get into fizz city but sounds really good keeping the gain knob below noon so no harm in boosting it with something. The volume difference thing between the channels is definitely marked BUT turning the boost on and the volume on the gain channel up to about 9 is plenty enough volume for a gig or rehearsal.

I'd post pics but my phone wont do it justice. Maybe tomorrow when I can take it out into the sunlight.

Congrats! :banana

It's a Peavey. No pics needed. And definitely not in full Sun. ;)

Always great when it’s as advertised our better!

I had a Peavey Prowler that was converted in to a head years ago - loved it!! Wish I still had it actually

Only real downside to it in my opinion is it was pretty quiet (relatively speaking) for a 40 watt tube amp

Here's a shitty lil clip I recorded with it back in the day when I was even more of a noob than I am now lmao

I had a Peavey Prowler that was converted in to a head years ago - loved it!! Wish I still had it actually

Only real downside to it in my opinion is it was pretty quiet (relatively speaking) for a 40 watt tube amp

Here's a shitty lil clip I recorded with it back in the day when I was even more of a noob than I am now lmao

Clip sounds bada$$ dude! That Peavey ChainsawTM going to work! :satan

I’ve had an XXL for almost 20 years and I won’t get rid of it. It’s bailed so many people out over the years, has taken a beating falling down stairs and has been at every show I’ve played since I’ve owned it, even when I wasn’t playing guitar, just because someone’s amp was always sh*tting out at a gig and it was easy enough to keep in my trunk.

It’s bigger brother was the last tube amp I owned (dunno why the G-Force is circled below)

3CB80D9A-C704-4262-9258-6F65AB978D38.jpeg

I still have never owned a Triple X (X3)? I really should rectify that sometime.

Yeah volume-wise it doesn't hang with my 40w MKII SpiderValve for whatever reason. I mean the clean channel gets pretty loud but not as loud as you'd expect for 45 watts.

I still have never owned a Triple X (X3)? I really should rectify that sometime.

I think the last one I had was in 2012 or around there so my memory could be wrong but what I remember was it had it's own thang. Cut through a mix well because the gain had almost too much high mids. I ended up owning every iteration of it from heads to combos. I just kept running into them for cheap so I bought one every time I did. I also remember having to change out some grid resistors on a couple of them that burnt out.

I think the last one I had was in 2012 or around there so my memory could be wrong but what I remember was it had it's own thang. Cut through a mix well because the gain had almost too much high mids. I ended up owning every iteration of it from heads to combos. I just kept running into them for cheap so I bought one every time I did. I also remember having to change out some grid resistors on a couple of them that burnt out.
There's a 40 watt combo with built in effects I always wondered about. It had a built in pitch shifter, if I recall correctly. Which, if we're being honest; is never a good sign.

There's a 40 watt combo with built in effects I always wondered about. It had a built in pitch shifter, if I recall correctly. Which, if we're being honest; is never a good sign.

Yep had it. I remember I liked the chorus.

Reactions: JT

Because George Lynch. :headbang

Back