NAD - 20w

FuzzyAce

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
So I got me a Friedman Runt-20. Not as high gain as the JEL-20 I was thinking about, but still has enough to please me.

Out of the box -- this thing is very well built. I'm impressed. Tolex, grill cloth, hardware, etc. is clean and it feels robust. I think it looks classy too (not as classy as @JiveTurkey 's favorite amp the JEL-20). :LOL:

I've only had about 25 minutes play time on it but so far really digging it. It gets pretty damn loud too. The clean channel is :chef. Perfectly voiced in my opinion and it has a bouncy feel which I like. The gain channel is voiced a little bit darker (with eq settings the same) but the boost switch seems to bump up the high mids, so it cuts nicely. I just need more time with it and try out some more cabs. I've only run it through a closed back 1x10 with a Cannabis Rex 10, because I know that speaker well. I'm sure some greenbacks would kill with this.

Here's a pic with me on top (shaved my head), and my little green groupie off to the side. :grin
Notice how much bigger the twin head is!

IMG_1889-B.jpg

At some point I need to get the right speaker cab for this head. I'm either going to build one to match or just order a custom Mojotone 1x12.
I have an old EVM12S that needs a buddy.

Reactions: Elf
The 19" wide 1 x12 Boogie cab is a perfect fit.
I'm not opposed to a Thiele design if that's what you mean. Aesthetically it needs to match though, and I also don't mind an oversized cab either.
I've had good luck with Mojotone, they make quality cabs so wouldn't hesitate to grab one. But I do work with wood everyday so I have no excuse not to build one either, haha.
Hmmm, I also have a pair of EVM15Ls... now that might be a good fun cab to build - a 1x15? Just random thoughts! :ROFLMAO:

Congrats!!!

Heard good things about the mini Friedman amps and that they’re actually quite competitive with their bigger counter parts!
Thanks! The construction is quality for sure. Hopefully later today I can crank it up some more. :banana

It's still an amp for another day I believe but happy with this purchase so far. :beer

I had a Runt 20 head for a while around the same time I'd also played the original Pink Taco and JJ Jr. extensively.

At the time I thought it had - along with that beautiful clean - really great tones for playing fusion like leads.
Not raw Marshall like the Taco or chewy Bogner like the JJ.

Probably most like his signature BE tone - that slightly tamed Marshall thing. (y)

Probably most like his signature BE tone - that slightly tamed Marshall thing. (y)
I think the boost function helps with that. I'm sure it will open up to another level once the master is cranked, like most tube amps. I'll probably run it through the RLIR tonight and see what I can get.

Sure enough, once I ran it through the Suhr RL and loaded some cabs in HX native, it went to another level. Cranking the master brought out the sweet distortion. :chef More than enough and plenty gnarly if you crank the gain with the boost. I'm digging it. :pickle

loaded some cabs in HX native

Whatta you use for a monitor(s) when you use IRs? I'm thinking the Tonex, and packs like Satriani's, have so many captures with cabs baked in I need to at least try them out.

On a side note, REALLY nice amp stand you got there for your new Runt! :headbang

Last edited:
Whatta you use for a monitor(s) when you use IRs? I'm thinking the Tonex, and packs like Satriani's, have so many captures with cabs baked in I need to at least try them out.
Honestly, I normally use headphones with IRs, although I have a pair of Rokit 8 monitors if needed but I don't use them as much these days.

On a side note, REALLY nice amp stand you got there for your new Runt!
Haha, appreciate it!

Back