NAD- ‘65 Deluxe Reverb

I have learned (from Cliff no less!) that reverb before the preamp stage in amps like that, is little different to reverb after the preamp v1 stage; it's commutative. So it doesn't matter that there's no FX loop, and you can put reverb in front of the amp just fine, if using the Normal channel.

Sweet! I’ll stick my FM9 in front of it tonight and give it some attention.

Looking around at Two-Notes now.

Sweet! I’ll stick my FM9 in front of it tonight and give it some attention.

Looking around at Two-Notes now.

I was doing exactly that with my Princeton + Strat (Cutlass) + FM9 on Sunday - it was great! The first stage is pretty much the same BF tonestack (and no bright cap).

EDIT: Was using a homemade Humbuster™ cable.

Last edited:
Haha, welcome to the world of old school amps :D

IME these amps sound pretty anemic with the volume below 3 or so. They really want to be let loose with volume. That's where they shine and what made them legendary.

Yeah, original blackface Fender amps only have reverb and tremolo on the Vibrato channel. And no effects loop. Back in this amps day there were no pedals to put in an effects loop.

The drive sound is sort of a combination of everything together. Some of it's preamp, some power amp, some speaker.

It only really works if you like the classic thing it does. I always dug putting analog pedals in front of a dirty amp, but it doesn't work for everything or everyone. It all depends on what you're trying to do with it.

I’d like it to get gritty with my volume knob all the way up and be able to take pedals so I can stack dirt pedals on them. The last two weeks I’ve been playing the Lovepedal Tchula into a Dover Drive, either individually or stacked, into a Bassman model and I’m in Heavendooddlydoo. But I’m getting none of that squishy/juicy/whatever fat neck pickup sound from the DRRI, the total opposite.

In your photo, your treble is on 9 😱

To take pedals well, apart from swapping the bright speaker (and avoiding the bright cap), it helps to tame the harsh note attack and treble.

Before you give up on it completely and sell it, have you tried:

Treble 3 - yes, dialled right back
Bass 5
Low gain input

Lowering the treble will also bring back some mids.

You can lead a horse to water ..... but you can't ............................... :idk

We've been shouting the same things. But this is Drucifer here. :LOL:

I was doing exactly that with my Princeton + Strat + FM9 on Sunday - it was great! The first stage is pretty much the same BF tonestack (and no bright cap).

They’ve got a few Princetons at the GC’s nearby, I haven’t tried one of those yet. I’m reading a lot of realibility issues with the Bassmaster’s, which definitely makes me a little nervous. I did read a lot of nice things about those Princetons.

You can lead a horse to water ..... but you can't ............................... :idk

We've been shouting the same things. But this is Drucifer here. :LOL:

That was the first time anyone mentioned anything about the treble knob! Your horse leading skills need sharpening! :rofl

I’d like it to get gritty with my volume knob all the way up and be able to take pedals so I can stack dirt pedals on them. The last two weeks I’ve been playing the Lovepedal Tchula into a Dover Drive, either individually or stacked, into a Bassman model and I’m in Heavendooddlydoo. But I’m getting none of that squishy/juicy/whatever fat neck pickup sound from the DRRI, the total opposite.

If it is super anemic the power tubes could be cooked. It's possible. And yes,
tends to be a bright amp that doesn't push a lot of low-end, but still should
be somewhat throaty. :idk

So many things to take into account without knowing the all of it.

They’ve got a few Princetons at the GC’s nearby, I haven’t tried one of those yet. I’m reading a lot of realibility issues with the Bassmaster’s, which definitely makes me a little nervous. I did read a lot of nice things about those Princetons.

The Princeton Reverb has a lot more natural compression and sag - it's slightly sweeter sounding too and just a touch more home volume friendly. But yeah, it's the less stiff / slight squish that I love about it.

@DrewJD82 I sincerely hope that I (we) aren't being annoying.

I just really wanted to be sure that you'd tried all the usual stuff with the Deluxe Reverb before you got rid of it. Perhaps the amp just isn't your thing, but it would be a shame if you missed out on something good because of a dumb treble knob setting or whatever.

@DrewJD82 I sincerely hope that I (we) aren't being annoying.

I just really wanted to be sure that you'd tried all the usual stuff with the Deluxe Reverb before you got rid of it. Perhaps the amp just isn't your thing, but it would be a shame if you missed out on something good because of a dumb treble knob setting or whatever.

Not at all! I’ve got zero experience with the amp and was looking for input!! It’s greatly appreciated!

No good deed goes unpunished and I’m a New England boy, the more you guys help me and make me happy the more I will show my appreciation with ballbusting. :banana When I start insulting your family members, you know I REALLY love you.

If it is super anemic the power tubes could be cooked. It's possible. And yes,
tends to be a bright amp that doesn't push a lot of low-end, but still should
be somewhat throaty. :idk

So many things to take into account without knowing the all of it.

I might bring it to work later tonight, go to an empty suite and crank the sh*t out of it. There’s some spaces here that’d be pretty damn fun and will put that reverb tank to shame!

No good deed goes unpunished and I’m a New England boy, the more you guys help me and make me happy the more I will show my appreciation with ballbusting. :banana When I start insulting your family members, you know I REALLY love you.

I was about to say "Please school me on this New England ballbusting thing"...

but actually 🤔 ...

Very comfortable with my delightfully ✨ unbusted balls ✨ here

Embarrassed Cat GIF

Yeah, that sounds like an input gain thing. As the volume is turned up the input starts to clip and squish more. If you're not getting that it's usually because you're not pushing the preamp hard enough.

One thing to keep in mind: the volume isn't linear. Once it starts clipping turning it up more gives more compression and distortion but not much more volume.

Where do you have the volume on the Bassman set?

I was about to say "Please school me on this New England ballbusting thing"...

but actually 🤔 ...

Very comfortable with my delightfully ✨ unbusted balls ✨ here

Embarrassed Cat GIF

Dude, I just saw the cat out of the corner of my eye and I thought it was balls. :rofl

Ballbusting is just pickin’ on someone, poking fun at them in a harmless way (depending on how well you know the person) It’s a way of life in New England and the more close-to-home you hit with the comment on someone, the more you tend to care about them. Like the most offensive thing you can say to your best friend, but he gets it because it’s not a serious attack on them, it’s like a term of endearment.

Completely backwards and probably caused more divorces up there than anything else, but it’s ingrained in us from a young age. It’s exactly why I never find Cliff’s posts offensive when he does pick on someone or reply with a sarcastic remark, that’s just ballbusting. Blows my mind when I see people upset over it.

Yeah, that sounds like an input gain thing. As the volume is turned up the input starts to clip and squish more. If you're not getting that it's usually because you're not pushing the preamp hard enough.

One thing to keep in mind: the volume isn't linear. Once it starts clipping turning it up more gives more compression and distortion but not much more volume.

Where do you have the volume on the Bassman set?

Bassman *model* in my AxeFX. ;)

Even in a model it will react the same way. If you've got the input on the model above 2 or so then you're getting way more compression and gain in the input section of the Bassman than what you've got out of the DR at 2.

It's been a really long time since I played a real Bassman but I believe they start clipping earlier than a blackface amp.

Sounds like it's just not your cup of tea though and nothing wrong with that. And probably not worth battling with to try to make it your thing.

I think it was Ted Nugent who used to play live with a pyramid of 6 Twin Reverbs stacked up. Thinking about how loud that DR can be even at 2 it blows my mind thinking about how loud 6 Twins would be when they're cranked into distortion o_O

Even in a model it will react the same way. If you've got the input on the model above 2 or so then you're getting way more compression and gain in the input section of the Bassman than what you've got out of the DR at 2.

It's been a really long time since I played a real Bassman but I believe they start clipping earlier than a blackface amp.

Sounds like it's just not your cup of tea though and nothing wrong with that. And probably not worth battling with to try to make it your thing.

I think it was Ted Nugent who used to play live with a pyramid of 6 Twin Reverbs stacked up. Thinking about how loud that DR can be even at 2 it blows my mind thinking about how loud 6 Twins would be when they're cranked into distortion o_O

Yeah, the Bassman does clip a bit early but it seems to be a more appealing clipping when it happens.

So I just spent about 20 minutes with the amp and getting much better results this time. Still not really what I’m going for, but I’m not hating it. Right out of the gate I plugged my FM9 into Input 2 of Ch 2, I need to RTFM to understand these channels. I wasn’t hearing that same popping sound at the start of notes with my Gilmour Strat, so I plugged straight into the amp and they still weren’t present. Really odd.

I can definitely hear how running this hotter would change some things, which is something I didn’t get a feel for previously. I then plugged the Tchula and Dover into it (no FM9) and tried them on each channel; my Tchula seems to have zero effect on this amp, so I think I’m underestimating how much it’s doing to the front end of the Bassman model because the Dover sounds normal (changed batteries on the Tchula just to be sure).

The majority of my gripes from Saturday, I don’t have today. Maybe I was having a day where I’m more sensitive to treble, those happen often. I’m assuming there’s a lot I’m missing now by not cranking this thing up. I’m probably going to sit on it for a while until after I try it with a Torpedo, I’m going to need a Torpedo no matter which amp I get, so I might as well hold off until I try this with it, just for curiosities sake.

Overall, I’m still leaning towards a JTM45/Bassman/SV20 more than anything else.

Doesn't the FM9 have that variable input impedance? Could be a factor giving you
better results.

The DR doesn't react as kindly to being slammed as say a Marshall. I found the best luck
setting my drive pedals to unity (sometimes below so I could open up the power section
of the amp more). I pretty much never set them to hit the front end harder.

Back