Modest Mouse: Please explain, I do not get it.

I want to like Hum. But I always end up choosing old Pumpkins or the first few Weezer albums instead. Not the same; but same general neighborhood and like the songs much more.

Like anything, they are an acquired taste.

Smashing Pumpkins and Hum are probably my absolute favorites. (Deftones a close third) SP will never be eclipsed, but I’d say from a guitar perspective Hum probably has a larger influence on me to this day. After about 30 minutes of playing ill inevitably fall back to my inner 16yo, doing droned out dropped tuned Hum-inspired riffs. :rofl

• Love
Reactions: JT
Like anything, they are an acquired taste.

Smashing Pumpkins and Hum are probably my absolute favorites. (Deftones a close third) SP will never be eclipsed, but I’d say from a guitar perspective Hum probably has a larger influence on me to this day. After about 30 minutes of playing ill inevitably fall back to my inner 16yo, doing droned out dropped tuned Hum-inspired riffs. :rofl
I always dig the music side. The vocals just kind of lay on top and don't ever draw me in. The guitar orchestra thing though is always pleasing to the ear. Deftones are :satan

whoa whoa whoa hold on a second...... Hum is AMAZING. have you listened to their latest album Inlet? they are next level awesome.

No, I have not. And I won’t because my buddy tried forcing them down my throat when we lived together and while I can’t name a single song, I just remember staring at the wall waiting for the good part. :rofl I think he just saw them a couple weeks ago in Boston. Aren’t they on a farewell tour or something?

It’s entirely possible and they’re great, but I’ll need another 5 years or so to listen to them again. It’s like getting hungover on a particular kind of liquor, you need to wipe your memory of it before you can do it again.

Death Cab For Cutie Much?
9f702b1b-ceca-4bfb-8b9f-61c31b427136_text.gif

Speaking of tone deaf singers...

Man, obviously I knew the singles back at the end of the 90’s, but when my buddies played me this Live In Hawaii/acoustic video they put out my jaw hit the floor. Currently, I LOVE a lot of Deftones, the Diamond Eyes album is outstanding, but that dude couldn’t sing his way out of a paper bag back in the day. My friends kept saying “That’s just his style, man”…..I was goin’ off, “That’s not a f*cking style, that’s a deficiency!” :rofl

I saw them with AIC and Mastodon on the Black Diamond Skye tour and Chino was AWESOME. I think once he switched to in-ears he improved considerably. Now if he could just get his guitarists to stop talking about flat-earth he’d be good to go. :ROFLMAO:

Oh man...

When that Float On song got popular in high school, half my friends went from nu/punk to hipster/indie overnight. It was so cringe to watch the change (into a fly) and I couldn't stand the music. The modern hipster was born.

Modest Mouse had a few solid albums. They have a distinct sonic texture that plays a big part in making their songs work and I say that as a compliment - they're unique. People underestimate the impact of the instrumentation, tone and overall production when they focus on only the melody or the chord progression when trying to understand music. Take the Smashing Pumpkins as another example - the wall of fuzz guitar tone, the simple octave pedaling riffs and the shrieky vocals all work together and can't be "understood" separately.

I think if you don't like any of the first few songs off "We were dead before the ship even sank" then it's pretty clear you won't like any of their other stuff.

I don't think I've listened to them in years but occasionally I'll go through stretches where instead of listening to metal or 90's rock or classic rock I'll listen to something that's completely different and revisit old indie music. That different sound is nice occasionally.

Not my thing but I understand the appeal of this band.
I honestly find them boring after few songs.

Often indie bands sound fake and cliché to me, they remind me of those schoolmates who tried hard to be cool, intellectual and different instead of being themselves.
I'm surely biased for some reasons.

I don't think I've listened to them in years but occasionally I'll go through stretches where instead of listening to metal or 90's rock or classic rock I'll listen to something that's completely different and revisit old indie music. That different sound is nice occasionally.

Same. I’ll go through little spurts listening to them, Built to Spill etc. Always good to mix it up, it gets stale living in one genre/era all the time.

Back