Metropoulos DVL-1 1971 Greenback added 1988 GT75

1971 Greenback.png

The speaker. Not sure of the month but it is after they started printing Rola on the label. The cone is still the old Pulsonic.

I am curious of the differences.

According to George, 65 mode is unique to the DVL. Metroplex Mk I never had it. 66 and 68 mode are designed identically. Modded 68 mode is different. Part of it was that they changed the clipping diode used in the mod mode (which in itself is based on a Jose style mod). George and William Duvall tested different ones until they found the one William liked the most. The sound became slightly more modern and a tad darker. Last time I stopped at George’s shop with my amp back in 2019, we A/B’ed my amp both with the original setup and the DVL-1’s specific diode (that’s the biggest difference. George offered to swap it for me permantly if I wanted). I stuck to the original because I love that sound and it had bit more openness to the top. The DVL-1 sounded great no doubt. I just liked the more classic voicing my amp had on modded 68.

The only other difference is the EQ controls for the boost are external on the DVL-1 and just internal trimmers on the board in the original. George didn’t anticipate folks wanting to adjust it much as they do. I guess I could ask him to add the external adjustment points to mine but if I boosted, I always used my SD-1 anyway. Footswitching logic was improved too so any mode can be activated by the footswitch.

So to sum it up, the DVL is the same on 66 and 68 modes, has a slightly different voicing for Modded 68 mode, and has the lower gain 65 mode. Also improved switching and external pots for the boost EQ. Both excellent amps from that crazy guy in Flint. I do need to head back up there and visit. It’s been a few years and I’d love to play his Mk II Metroplex.

I struggle with the 68 mode. Mine can sound like a fizzy mess. How do you set your EQ/Boost up?
For the clip I had the treble, level and gain maxed and the bass at 5.

Key for me is to keep the channel gain low.

When I run mine I keep treble at 5-6, middle 5, bass at 6 and presence at 6.5. Gain at 4 and volume at minimum 4. The louder it gets the better. SD-1 gain 0, volume 3 o clock and tone to taste.

According to George, 65 mode is unique to the DVL. Metroplex Mk I never had it. 66 and 68 mode are designed identically. Modded 68 mode is different. Part of it was that they changed the clipping diode used in the mod mode (which in itself is based on a Jose style mod). George and William Duvall tested different ones until they found the one William liked the most. The sound became slightly more modern and a tad darker. Last time I stopped at George’s shop with my amp back in 2019, we A/B’ed my amp both with the original setup and the DVL-1’s specific diode (that’s the biggest difference. George offered to swap it for me permantly if I wanted). I stuck to the original because I love that sound and it had bit more openness to the top. The DVL-1 sounded great no doubt. I just liked the more classic voicing my amp had on modded 68.

The only other difference is the EQ controls for the boost are external on the DVL-1 and just internal trimmers on the board in the original. George didn’t anticipate folks wanting to adjust it much as they do. I guess I could ask him to add the external adjustment points to mine but if I boosted, I always used my SD-1 anyway. Footswitching logic was improved too so any mode can be activated by the footswitch.

So to sum it up, the DVL is the same on 66 and 68 modes, has a slightly different voicing for Modded 68 mode, and has the lower gain 65 mode. Also improved switching and external pots for the boost EQ. Both excellent amps from that crazy guy in Flint. I do need to head back up there and visit. It’s been a few years and I’d love to play his Mk II Metroplex.
Appreciate the info!

When I run mine I keep treble at 5-6, middle 5, bass at 6 and presence at 6.5. Gain at 4 and volume at minimum 4. The louder it gets the better. SD-1 gain 0, volume 3 o clock and tone to taste.
SD-1 on top of the Fet is really nice!

Back