Is the Mesa Mark III under rated?

^Yeah it was produced in parallel for quite a few years with the Mark IV

I've said it a million times, but I'm hoping maybe we get a 40th anniversary Mk III reissue in 2025. Keep it mostly the same with some light modern accoutremon

I remember in the late 90s Mesa catalogs, they said they would have re-issued the Mark III, but the “fans would not let Mesa discontinue it” and it was still made in like 1996-1998ish.

I pause at the “we would’ve reissued it” comment (2C+, anyone?), but it went strong in production for probably 12+ years.

Every time I hear Sykes on 1987 or Blue Murder, I can hear that Mark III
I think it was still sold as new up until 1998, but they may have discontinued manufacturing earlier. My amp is in the 28000 range which is close to the end of production, however it has a build date of August 1994. IIRC they did not sell well up against the IV which was out at the same time. You had the DC series for cheaper Mesas and the IV and Recto for the more expensive ones, so the III sat in a funky spot.

In what way? I’d guess versatility?
Of course. :rimshot
Bass Fishing GIF by Karl's Bait & Tackle

Ever feel like the Mesa Mark III is the ignored middle child in the Mark series? I've owned a fully loaded blue stripe for 10 years now and I'm blown away every time I turn it on. I get everything from great punchy "fender on steroids" cleans, through juicy/greasy edge of breakup, fat mid gain , and all the different shades of high gain we know and love from the mark amps.

Is it just that the III lives in the shadow of the IIC+ or is there more? I also owned a studio pre (similar to IIC) for around 10 years, and while there are some subtle differences when compared to the III, the two circuits are shockingly similar in the tones they can achieve. Generally, I would say the studio pre is somewhat smoother in the top end with a slightly saggier feel, while the III is ever so slightly tighter and more aggressive. We are talking REALLY minor differences here though.

Any Mark III lovers here?

Aren't IIIs pretty much IIC+s?? :idk

The III was my first Mesa amp. It kicked my ass. :LOL:

Some of the switching/channel limitations made it kind of a one trick pony, or 2 at best.

Those IIIs will skyrocket in value. It's already happening.

Uhmmmm..... Hello??

Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

The V will go down as the pinnacle of them in time. The shine of the VII will wear off. The V just is the most
loaded and versatile of them all, and sounds the best.... in spite of the Randall Smith press releases. :LOL:

I think the V is a modern classic at this point... still some holdouts of the initial release hate, but I think its overall very highly regarded by most :idk

I'd rock a V again in a heartbeat

I think the V is a modern classic at this point... still some holdouts of the initial release hate, but I think its overall very highly regarded by most :idk

I'd rock a V again in a heartbeat
Maybe I am going just by forum talk? Especially coming from GAB/GGF where it's Mark III or GTFO. I don't think the VII is anywhere near close to being able to stake a historical claim just yet. Despite it being a general blast so far.

I will say this era is the first Boogie era where I started looking beyond Rectifiers.

Maybe I am going just by forum talk? Especially coming from GAB/GGF where it's Mark III or GTFO. I don't think the VII is anywhere near close to being able to stake a historical claim just yet. Despite it being a general blast so far.

I will say this era is the first Boogie era where I started looking beyond Rectifiers.
The V is amazing, all 3 variants. The III is amazing, all stripes and dots. The IV is amazing, both IVa and IVb. The VII is amazing. The IIC is legendary, and all those that came before were great in their own right.

Never forget this and challenge anyone who says otherwise.

IIC+>III>IV>JP2C>V would be my guess of order if you combined forums, the Vll appears to be on its way near to near the top

I did 3 mods in my Mark III, one is the R2 volume mod. another one is more aimed to tame the aggressive mid highs it has to make it more "dark" like a MkII C+ this I used a 3 way switch so it has 3 levels. And the final one is a 3 way brightness control in the clean channel as with some of my Strats and Teles its a bit too bright.

52829176927_39532e973b_b.jpg

52829753431_79f871e4db_b.jpg

52829932114_03449246dd_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back