Mesa Boogie 2C+ In Da House!

Genghis

Today is the day my friend brought over his Mesa Boogie Mk2C+ for me to check out. Wow! It lives up to its reputation for sure. Tight heavy crunch to searing leads, it delivers on all counts. It seems that there is some dirt in the pots or something, as I get a few scratches and things like that dialing it in, but once I got it dialed in at volume for some recording it started behaving better.

I don't see myself buying this, but I did ask him about renting it for recording some tracks and he is happy to oblige. Really complements the Marshall tracks I already had on it. That bottom end is so tight. Tomorrow I'll probably do a few leads and see how that turns out.

20240617_153808.jpg

nice! your settings are actually very close to mine in that pic, but i keep the mids lower

Last edited:
nice! your settings are actually very close to mine in that pic, but i keep the mids lower
I have the mids lower most of the time too. I think that was something I tried for some lead stuff I was playing, and went back to around 3 or so for the sweet spot.

I am really digging this amp, but it has the same limitations as my Mk2b had... Great cleans, great rhythm crunch, and great leads... but you have to have things set very differently to cover all three well in a live setting. So... I pulled the trigger on a used JP2C, so I can get in the ballpark and make use of the MIDI and flexibility of the modern amp.

I had a chance to pick up one years ago, but ended up getting a IV instead due to the feature set. Still kick my self in the ass to this day.
I kept hearing this over and over like a loop that wouldn't stop, and I ended up making an offer. Told him if that wasn't enough I'd be happy to make a few videos he could use to sell it to someone else and that he may get more money that way. He accepted my offer. I think he figured he'd rather see it go-to a friend that knows how to work with these amps than sell it to some collector who won't actually play it. He is even willing to take payments. That's a good friend!

Listed 3 guitars I rarely play and already sold one of them, so I may get it paid for fairly quickly.

I kept hearing this over and over like a loop that wouldn't stop, and I ended up making an offer. Told him if that wasn't enough I'd be happy to make a few videos he could use to sell it to someone else and that he may get more money that way. He accepted my offer. I think he figured he'd rather see it go-to a friend that knows how to work with these amps than sell it to some collector who won't actually play it. He is even willing to take payments. That's a good friend!

Listed 3 guitars I rarely play and already sold one of them, so I may get it paid for fairly quickly.
I’d say it’s a good investment. I only see them increasing in value as time goes on. Congrats!

I’d say it’s a good investment. I only see them increasing in value as time goes on. Congrats!
Thanks! I am planning on taking it to am authorized tech about 150 miles from me and having him check it out. Seems pretty solid except for one tube that went bad, but I'm guessing it may need new caps since it is almost 40 years old. He had a few spare 6L6s and I ordered a new set with 2 6L6 and to E34L to see what that sounds like.

He had a few spare 6L6s and I ordered a new set with 2 6L6 and to E34L to see what that sounds like.
Id take a peek at those tubes. Mesa’s of that era often came with Mesa STR-415 6L6 which are a rebranded vintage 6L6 that has become quite sought after. I keep trying to find a pair for my Mark III but they aren’t easy to find.

Last edited:
Id take a peek at those tubes. Mesa’s of that era often came with Mesa STR-415 6L6 which is a rebranded a vintage 6L6 that has also become quite sought after. I keep trying to find a pair for my Mark III but they aren’t easy to find.
There were a couple in the spare tubes that had that label and I think I put them in the middle positions to try the Simulclass mode. Had an issue with it starting to hum, so I shut it down for a bit. Fired it back up in Class A mode and it seems fine. I'm going to call the amp tech Monday and schedule a visit to have him work it over before I use it very much.

Do you notice a distinctive feel on the lead channel that other Marks don’t have?

Do you notice a distinctive feel on the lead channel that other Marks don’t have?
Haven't played a lot of Mark's. Had a 2B back in thenlate 80s and sold it a few years ago. All I can say is that it feels as great as it sounds, but I probably won't be using it much until I get it serviced. It seems to be functioning fine, but can get a bit of a hum when I used Simulclass. Its probably due to worn out tubes, but I want to get it checked out soon.

It's not really a gigging amp, more for recording, but the JP2C I got for gigging came in today and I got it hooked up with the Axe-FX and started programming a few patches for the live set. Definitely going to enjoy that amp too. I have played plenty of gigs with the Axe-FX alone, but love an amp onstage for the places that have a bit more room.

Back