Maybe stupid? Maybe not. Amp incoming. Again.

I disagree. I'd say you were happy and spent much more time playing, BECAUSE you didn't pay attention and go down that rabbit hole ;)

Damn Jive, I should have sent you the rack I just bought, that I'm going to disassemble :LOL:

Hahaha I don’t disagree with that, but as important as speakers are to a guitar’s tone, I should have a better grasp on which speaker does what. I know how Mesa’s V30’s, Greenbacks and WGS Retro 30’s sound in their physical versions, outside of those 3 I’m fairly clueless. I have Black Shadows in a 2x12 but haven’t gotten to open that thing up, volume wise, near enough to get an idea of what they do, aside from blowing every other cab in the room away. :rofl

Hahaha I don’t disagree with that, but as important as speakers are to a guitar’s tone, I should have a better grasp on which speaker does what. I know how Mesa’s V30’s, Greenbacks and WGS Retro 30’s sound in their physical versions, outside of those 3 I’m fairly clueless. I have Black Shadows in a 2x12 but haven’t gotten to open that thing up, volume wise, near enough to get an idea of what they do, aside from blowing every other cab in the room away. :rofl

Since I prefer Guitar Cabs even with modelers I have had to swap in and out quite a few speakers
to find one that didn't add too much color and kind of take over. Finding a speaker that has played
nice with a wide range of amp models was something I felt I had to do. Probably not something I would
be as emphatic about if I was just using a single amp and finding a speaker that worked with that
amp. :idk

The Creambacks (65/75) seem to give me that "plays well with others vibe" more than other speakers---especially
V30s (of which I have a few different varieties/eras).

Since I prefer Guitar Cabs even with modelers I have had to swap in and out quite a few speakers
to find one that didn't add too much color and kind of take over. Finding a speaker that has played
nice with a wide range of amp models was something I felt I had to do. Probably not something I would
be as emphatic about if I was just using a single amp and finding a speaker that worked with that

The Creambacks (65/75) seem to give me that "plays well with others vibe" more than other speakers---especially
Do you prefer the 65s or the 75s? I seem to think I always prefer 75s in clips. But owned the 65 when I was using it in a 112 with my EVH head years ago?

I’ve been wanting to try a Creamback, or at least pick up an IR pack with one in it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard one in person that I know of. For some reason I’m thinking they’re a bit of a mix between a V30 and a Greenback, but I have no clue what part of my ass I’m pulling that from.

I can say with great honesty that I have thought much about getting this version of that amp. Love the rack mount setup! Hope it is working well for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: JT
Do you prefer the 65s or the 75s? I seem to think I always prefer 75s in clips. But owned the 65 when I was using it in a 112 with my EVH head years ago?

I went with the 65s. Just a little more present midrange and less on the top---to my ears,
and in the cabs I put them in. :idk

Last edited:
Reactions: JT
I’ve been wanting to try a Creamback, or at least pick up an IR pack with one in it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard one in person that I know of. For some reason I’m thinking they’re a bit of a mix between a V30 and a Greenback, but I have no clue what part of my ass I’m pulling that from.

I have Justin's Creamback 212 IR pack. only IR pack I have ever paid for.

Higher wattage Greenback less prone to speaker breakup/drive is what they
were aiming for. I don't hear a lot in common with V30s, to be honest. V30s
are definitely edgier and in your face---which can be great for some things
Bob Rock might do. ;)

To my ears the Creamback is smooth and pleasing without being dark or muffled.
If that makes any damn sense at all. :LOL:

For live metal a V30 is hard to beat if you are pushing a lot of air. I just find them
kind of fatiguing to listen to every day and not the best if you cross genres.

I can say with great honesty that I have though much about getting this version of that amp. Love the rack mount setup! Hope it is working well for you!
Thanks PB! The 50 has been great on the gigging front for a few months. The 100 has that extra bit of oomph that you don't necessarily need but still love to have :satan

I have Justin's Creamback 212 IR pack. only IR pack I have ever paid for.

Higher wattage Greenback less prone to speaker breakup/drive is what they
were aiming for. I don't hear a lot in common with V30s, to be honest. V30s
are definitely edgier and in your face---which can be great for some things
Bob Rock might do. ;)

To my ears the Creamback is smooth and pleasing without being dark or muffled.
If that makes any damn sense at all. :LOL:

For live metal a V30 is hard to beat if you are pushing a lot of air. I just find them
kind of fatiguing to listen to every day and not the best if you cross genres.

I like the sound of that, a lot. Those are the exact things I didn't like about the Greenbacks I had in my old Legacy cab, I couldn't pummel that cab and have it keep up, especially when I'd turn on my EQ to go to Pantera-land.

I might snag this for shats and gaggles, because that's REALLY what I need is more f*cking IR's. :rofl

Via IR I found the York Creamback 65 to be a touch smoother/darker than a GB.

I’ve owned two cabs where I put the Creamback H75’s in to balance out V30’s. I look at it as the V30 for people that don’t like the V30. lol A touch more on the bottom and the mids get shifted up the frequency band.

I’m looking at one of the Suhr PT 212’s that’s loaded with two H75’s.

Via IR I found the York Creamback 65 to be a touch smoother/darker than a GB.

I’ve owned two cabs where I put the Creamback H75’s in to balance out V30’s. I look at it as the V30 for people that don’t like the V30. lol A touch more on the bottom and the mids get shifted up the frequency band.

I’m looking at one of the Suhr PT 212’s that’s loaded with two H75’s.

I run a wet/dry dual amp setup at home and tried to blend a V30 cab on one side with a Creamback 65
loaded one on the other. Then I just grabbed more Creamback 65s. :crazy

I still like the idea of V30s..... but they just seem to overpower/dominate whatever I pair them with.

The WGS ET-65 is another cool speaker. I prefer the Creambacks, though. They are not too
far apart, though.

So just did a transplant of the 100 watter into the headshell that never leaves and the 50 watter into the rack case. Saved myself 5lbs or so and extra power I would never need for the types of gigs we play. It rips and now fits on my 112s. The 100watter in the rack was a cinder block. That 100 watt power section though... :chef

So sort of a part II.

:bag

I'm stuck on Boogie. Despite having some issues with the amps that in fairness aren't necessarily their fault. In looking around for something that could fit the rack or smaller headshell format and have the xtra 90 or 100 watt punch I am wanting (that isn't useful for my gigs but I don't GAF); I picked this up. It'll sit right on my cabs and has that extra 50w of :satan
RectBad100RHU2-large.jpg.auto.webp
Weird question - whats the technical name for amps that are rack-ready?

Im curious how to search to find what amps are in the 19” rack format size

Last edited:
I have Black Shadows in a 2x12 but haven’t gotten to open that thing up, volume wise, near enough to get an idea of what they do, aside from blowing every other cab in the room away. :rofl

Congrats JT, nice score!

I have a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb that has a 10" Black Shadow in it and to me the amp sounds like it's lacking high end detail. Since it's so heavy I've been thinking about putting a Jensen Tornado Neo in it hoping that in addition to the weight savings it will have a high end more to my liking.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Black Shadow or if this is a good or bad idea?

Congrats JT, nice score!

I have a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb that has a 10" Black Shadow in it and to me the amp sounds like it's lacking high end detail. Since it's so heavy I've been thinking about putting a Jensen Tornado Neo in it hoping that in addition to the weight savings it will have a high end more to my liking.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Black Shadow or if this is a good or bad idea?
FFS don't put ANYTHING from Jensen in that amp. Creamback 10" all the fucking way.

Back