NAD II Electric Kookoo: PRS Sonzera 50

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Long story short I returned the flaky JMD-1 and the Manager at GC knocked a hundred bucks off a Sonzera 50 head and I left with it and a 2 year warranty. never played through a PRS head til today. In the store it sounded absolutely rippin.

Feline was not included. He gave it
383358747_284620977679840_17975807902269089_n.jpg
6 seconds before he owned it.

I didn’t even know that was a thing.

How’s it sound????

It's pretty ballsy. Gain channel is very normal channel Plexi without the bright switch, but when engaged it tightens it right up. Clean channel is fantastic. All of the knobs/pots are so sensitive along the entire travel it's a good thing they are nice and tight and arent easily movable. I had Killer Hot Rodded Plexi tones in a few minutes though on the gain channel.

Last edited:
Like I said I will do a whole write up but some observations now that I have spent about 6 hours with it.

Clean channel has got to be one of the best I have ever used. So responsive and bell like. Very reminiscent of the Vibrolux I used to have. Just heavenly. It's also so snappy it's almost like I have a Dyna Comp in the front.

Gain channel: Very challenging. As stated before like a gained up 4 hole Plexi non jumpered on the normal channel. Bass is tubby/wooly. Bright switch does alleviate that some BUT I found myself setting the bass knob almost completely off even when cranking at around 100db through Vintage 30's. I decided to investigate the responsible tube (V2) for that channel and A-HA! Had a High gain Ruby in that spot. Swapped it out for a NOS GE 12AT7 and most of the wooliness of the bass is gone and the gain itself has calmed down a bit. This channel especially is very picky on your pickups. Active EMG 57/66 set seemed to be too much for the input and makes me wonder if it's a typical 1M or not. Seems to really overload that channel. Lower gain (as in lower than my actives) passives like the DiMarizio X2n and also Air Nortons were much more controllable and musical. There are some good tones on this channel it's just not as easy to dial as the clean channel. It seems to be begging for a tube screamer type OD so thats my next try with it.

I love the global presence. Every amp I have that has presence, except this one gives too much high end sizzle to my ears when turned up past 1 o'clock or so. Not this one. I can run it almost cranked and it just beautifies the highs across the board. Even combined with the bright switch on each channel it is not overbearing and is very tasty.

Addendum: And there it is! TS-7 in classic mode with drive off, tone at 1 o'clock and level cranked turned the gain channel into a hot rodded Marshall beast. Wooly bass is gone and the bass knob is now usable. It's not thin at all either and not overly compressed. it still cleans up nicely (not clean clean but lowish gain is on tap with guitar volume knob) What a joy this channel is now. It's like they designed this channel for this specific use. External bias testing and adjustment pot are a nice touch. Put my meter on it and both tubes are idling at almost dead on 33.5 mV. PRS suggests between 30 and 35 per tube so I'll take it. Most likely put the matched set of JJ EL34's I have in it eventually but it sounds great right now so I'll leave it be.

Last edited:
Bob; this is my first bout of posting after feeling like death for 3 days. No offense intended.

I played through Sonzera like 3-4(?) years ago and your observations are spot on. Very flabby but could probably be sculpted into something good with some pedals up front?

@Bob Zaod do you still have an Origin 50 headed your way? If so, I'd like your opinion when you get it dialed in. I looked at one at GC the other day but didnt have the time to play with it. Thanks!!

@Bob Zaod do you still have an Origin 50 headed your way? If so, I'd like your opinion when you get it dialed in. I looked at one at GC the other day but didnt have the time to play with it. Thanks!!

I have a 50 and a 20, both combos. I really like them, I typically run them 4CM with an FM3. They are definitely Marshalls, but I would say closer to JTM than Plexi. If you wind them up they get into AC/DC territory, but not much beyond that. Hence the FM3-they are great with pedals.

Last edited:
Back