Marshall Amps Sold

Bought my JVM410H a month ago, but fortunately it has the Dagnall transformers.

PXL_20231217_002826340.jpg

damn. price of older amps will continue to go up if this is the long term direction for Marshall

Unbelievable.
This is bullshit and a scandal, not worth the same price.
The noise stopped with a light touch of the hand, are these even potted? W.T.F!
I hope it spreads like wild fire.

I had my eye on a JCM800 2203 Reissue for a long time, I don't think I will now.

Last edited:
The JVM410 I picked up is a 2021 and it has Dagnall. Looks like pre-2023 Marshalls is gonna be a thing now. Idiots.

I remember having Dagnall transformers all the way on the JCM2000 DSL50 I had - yes, the one with the bias drift etc issues that only got truly discovered a few years after I sold it.

I think Marshall has a different reputation in the US because they cost so much, so people expect a lot more from them, sort of like how Fenders are expensive in the EU so you'd expect a Deluxe Reverb to be nicer than they are when they cost similar money to a locally made boutique version (for real!). Instead in EU Marshall is treated more like one of the affordable brands. A JVM410H is ~$1406 with 24% VAT included, which is a great price for an amp that complex.

Marshall IMO hasn't been making that well built amps for decades. They just didn't cheap out on parts as notoriously as Fender does on some models. I remember every time I pushed preamp tubes in on the JCM2000 how I felt the preamp board flexing because it wasn't properly supported. I remember the DSL401 that had to be discontinued due to it developing cold solder joints just by running way too hot.

This transformer thing is just another nail on a legacy.

I really respect Jason and am truly shocked Marshall would pull this without issuing a statement or lowering prices or something. But I’d still like to see a few more examples of newer Marshall transformers to see if this is a general issue or a one-off fluke. Either way, in this day and age, I would expect at least some indication from the manufacturer about a change like this.

Soooo…. I’m totally a country of origin snob but….

Seems like he got a defective product and since it’s brand new he should just return it :idk

(Mayve the reason I feel nonchalant is because the Vietnamese DSLs are objectively superior quality to the older UK made ones)

Seems like he got a defective product and since it’s brand new he should just return it :idk

(Mayve the reason I feel nonchalant is because the Vietnamese DSLs are objectively superior quality to the older UK made ones)
It's more of a "we've altered the deal" type of thing where people have expected that a JCM800 RI would use Dagnall transformers. Even if objectively the Vietnamese made ones are just as good.

The only winner is Marshall's bottom line since the transformers probably cost them a good bit less than ones made in the UK.

flights ua GIF

Reactions: Elf

There's another layer to it. British manufacturering has been dying on its arse for decades. Many companies moving their operations out of the country to China, Vietnam, Indonesia, all the rest of it.

Which has a huge knock on effect on our country's GDP, gives China a lot more political power across the world, and all in all is a net negative.

I would really love it if companies like Marshall would just build the fucking things in the UK.

Back