Looking for

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all, now that the Fractal GAS has passed im trying to find a HSS Strat with Coil Split on the Humbucker and Contoured heel
no Floyd but prefer a floating trem. also id like to avoid anything Made in Mexico

Any Suggestions ?

Thanks all for your Suggestions

Yes the Iby is nice, also looking at the Nick Johnston HSS

S.Atomic%20Coral.01.png

Was in the exact same shoes as you for the modern HSS guitar.

First I tried a Charvel DK24 and while it seemed great on paper, I hated the thin flat neck. I got a Schecter "Van Nuys" which was a Suhr-ish guitar, but it was horrible quality and I returned it. That guitar turned out to be a used B-stock so can't really judge. I did try the Schecter Nick Johnston in the store and liked that a lot more.

Ultimately I ended up with an MIJ Ibanez AZ which is a killer, killer guitar in every way. I tinker with the pickups but I do that with everything anyway. Top five guitar I've ever played easily, although I've never played a Suhr. It's expensive at $2,000 but still like 2/3 the price of a Suhr, maybe even less.

Also if it helps, if all my guitars were lost in a fire and I got a check from the insurance company, I'd likely pick up the same Ibanez AZ2204N that I have today:

p_region_AZ2204N_PBM_00_02.png

If I won the lottery, I'd probably be shopping for some high end Suhr and PRS guitars, but those are over twice the cost of the MIJ Ibanez stuff.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably be shopping for some high end Suhr and PRS guitars, but those are over twice the cost of the MIJ Ibanez stuff.
They’re definitely cool…

Though I don’t know that they actually bring anything to the table that the Ibanez doesn’t.

They’re definitely cool…

Though I don’t know that they actually bring anything to the table that the Ibanez doesn’t.

For me it would be a little different neck shape, having the silent coil system, and maybe different finish options. I also really like Suhr pickups. I don't think I'd ever spend $3k+ on a guitar though, unless it's something like a high end semi hollow.

I have 2 PRS that were Wood Library > $5K in early 2020, a PRS that was > $3K in 2019 and one PRS > $2K in early 2020. The only one that I still love is the $2k one. My $2K Ibanez and $1K Edwards get most of my play time.

Replaced pu's in one of the WL's helped it a lot, but they ain't perfect yet - so I'll probably swap 1 more time to ensure it's not the guitar itself. The other can't be changed and I do like them, it just has weird playability where if I'm not, "100% on point", I struggle with the extreme body carve and the height of the wraparound bridge.

YMMV

Ask @Eagle . Pretty sure he prefers Charvel in that area when it comes to bang for buck. An Ibanez AZ Prestige
is going to be twice as much as a Charvel and you are not getting 2x the quality, in my experience.

Charvel = $900-$1400 and Ibanez AZ Prestige = $2000 to $2500 for the 2023 models.

If you already have a Charvel and like the neck it may be preferable to grab another.
Then again, there is the Viva la Difference' argument. :beer

Can confirm the Cutlass is great, but you may not gel with the neck shape. They feel 'small' to some players, but you get used to it pretty quickly if you're open-minded. Not overly thin or flat, though. The whole guitar feels smaller than a basic Fender Strat.

Ask @Eagle . Pretty sure he prefers Charvel in that area when it comes to bang for buck. An Ibanez AZ Prestige
is going to be twice as much as a Charvel and you are not getting 2x the quality, in my experience.

Charvel = $900-$1400 and Ibanez AZ Prestige = $2000 to $2500 for the 2023 models.

If you already have a Charvel and like the neck it may be preferable to grab another.
Then again, there is the Viva la Difference' argument. :beer
True I do Love My Charvel DK22 ProMod and its a lot of guitar for the Money
And Yes love Ibanez but out of my price range

I might just swap out the SD Hotrail for maybe a Dimarzio :idk
But then again the Pickup might sound a lot better on my Fractal :D

I have an SSS Nick Johnston. Great guitar. A little in the beefy side at just over 9 lbs.

If I was looking for an HSS I would check out another NJ.

Last edited:
Back