Looking for

Yes the Iby is nice, also looking at the Nick Johnston HSS

S.Atomic%20Coral.01.png

Love those NJ strats. Even the pink is sexy.

Also if it helps, if all my guitars were lost in a fire and I got a check from the insurance company, I'd likely pick up the same Ibanez AZ2204N that I have today:

p_region_AZ2204N_PBM_00_02.png

If I won the lottery, I'd probably be shopping for some high end Suhr and PRS guitars, but those are over twice the cost of the MIJ Ibanez stuff.
The designer in me just wants to extend that lower pickguard to better follow the lower horn profile. Perhaps thin down the headstock too. Other than that it's perfect! :grin

:hmm
Dimarzio Cruisers are the shiz.

I'm currently trying to decide between a bridge Cruiser in the neck (a la Timmons), but starting to lean towards DP188 Pro Track instead.

Thoughts? I saw a @Blix video recently and he had a Pro Track in the neck. Don't know if he still likes it or not, though.

I'm currently trying to decide between a bridge Cruiser in the neck (a la Timmons), but starting to lean towards DP188 Pro Track instead.

Thoughts? I saw a @Blix video recently and he had a Pro Track in the neck. Don't know if he still likes it or not, though.
The rails are great for dirty blues. The Cruisers definitely have that Andy Timmons vibe.

I've not tried a Pro Track yet. But based on what I've heard and checking Dimarzio specs, it's hotter than the Cruiser with more mids.

The Cruiser to me is very balanced overall. For a rail pickup it's closer to a single coil strat but with a clearer, tighter upper midrange and top end, and the lows are solid and clear. I'd think either one is a good choice but Blix may have more insight if he's played both.

I found that my SD Hotrail was somewhat lacking in midrange and slightly shrill at times
I dunno ll give em whirl tomorrow with a a Euro red

Haha! It's actually a killer vintage Marshall with a Blackstar logo on it. :crazy
You lil' trickster!

Jokes aside. Whilst I have been disappointed in Blackstar tones in the past; I have to say that I remain curious and open-minded about their new stuff and what they've been trying to do. If the St. James stuff sounds good IRL (haven't heard it), then I won't have any problem saying so!

im trying to find a HSS Strat with Coil Split on the Humbucker and Contoured heel
no Floyd but prefer a floating trem. also id like to avoid anything Made in Mexico

Any Suggestions ?

I couldn't be happier with my Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS QMT. It sounds exactly what you're looking for.

The locking tuners, LSR Roller Nut and floating trem provide a very stable tuning system, ebony fretboard, medium jumbo frets, contoured heel, HSS pickup configuration with coil split and 10 different options with the S-1.

51225507396_2ffcd17cc7_b.jpg
51226270874_d090eb9ee9_b.jpg

I liked it so much I bought a red one to have as a backup but when a tobacco burst came up for sale I had to jump on it. After a decade I sold the red one but still have the other two. The transparent amber one is my very favorite Strat. It absolutely kills.

50193094613_dce85369fb_c.jpg

Last edited:

Turns out that Timmons now has a neck cruiser in the neck!

Evidenced here at 37.05 in the timestamped video link:

You lil' trickster!

Jokes aside. Whilst I have been disappointed in Blackstar tones in the past; I have to say that I remain curious and open-minded about their new stuff and what they've been trying to do. If the St. James stuff sounds good IRL (haven't heard it), then I won't have any problem saying so!

The chaps who started Blackstar (with Roland/KOrg backing...) are a bunch of long-time Marshall
employees who grew tired of Marshall's staid ways. :idk

You lil' trickster!

The chaps who started Blackstar (with Roland/KOrg backing...) are a bunch of long-time Marshall
employees who grew tired of Marshall's staid ways. :idk
In my experience so far the St. James has been a mixed bag.

The clean and gain tones are good. Not stellar but definitely usable. I've noticed they sound better with a bit of volume and I haven't had a chance to try it out at concert volume or with my band so my comments are at practice volumes only.

My concerns: It's noisier than I'd prefer, both in terms of inherent hiss, and hum as you increase the volume. Also, for me, the reverb is almost unusable. I don't know if whoever dialed it in was into rockabilly or surf music or something but it's not the classic Fender reverb I'm used to.

Would I buy another one if it was stolen? Probably not at his point but again I haven't used it in a live context with my Fractal FM9 providing the reverb and delays. To me the attraction was it's feature set; light weight, headphone out, reactive load, speaker emulation, USB audio out.

But so far my playing experience as been somewhat frustrating and for the price, I'm not looking to be frustrated.

Back