Looking for something to offer up here …

That‘s pretty slick! It’s all samples?

I’ve got a few pieces I’ve put together after I got East West’s Play VST, for some reason I can never develop that stuff, I just get about 16 bars of something and think “Ok…..uh…..now what?”

Yup; all samples. 💯

I did huge MIDI w/ synths for a dozen years plus, and as the software developed, sampling/samples/digital audio became a big part of it. I was a very early adopter of Steinbergs Cubase.

This was Sonic Foundry’s Acid. I needed to write music no matter what I was doing or wherever I was.

Guitars were always around.

I remember buying my first one gigabyte hard drive for $1000 so that we could put it entire CD on one drive/disk.

I just wish I had more guitar stuff recorded to post here. Professional music composition/production got most of my recording time. Oh well, I’ll have to find a daw eventually and stretch my legs.

Yup; all samples. 💯

I did huge MIDI w/ synths for a dozen years plus, and as the software developed, sampling/samples/digital audio became a big part of it. I was a very early adopter of Steinbergs Cubase.

This was Sonic Foundry’s Acid. I needed to write music no matter what I was doing or wherever I was.

Guitars were always around.

I remember buying my first one gigabyte hard drive for $1000 so that we could put it entire CD on one drive/disk.

I just wish I had more guitar stuff recorded to post here. Professional music composition/production got most of my recording time. Oh well, I’ll have to find a daw eventually and stretch my legs.

I hear ya with the writing thing, though I’ve been battling some writer’s block for the last year. Previous to that, I was so damn excited that I could have Garageband on my iPhone and iPad, so no matter where I was, I could get an idea down and just Airdrop it into my iMac and load it into Logic.

I just looked through my Garageband projects on this iPad, I have a couple things that made it into songs and like 4 projects that are just me arranging farts into beats. :rofl

Btw - I have a 11 min trashed version of Wicked Game. Not sure what the samples policy is at SC. It would be real hard to call what’s left “music” … lol

Clip is great! Can't remember if this is one I listened to or you had a series of Lounge Gizzard stuff? Writing and recording is one of the most fun yet aggravating experiences ever. I love doing it until I don't then it's :cuss Finding time and inspiration is the difficult part.

Clip is great! Can't remember if this is one I listened to or you had a series of Lounge Gizzard stuff? Writing and recording is one of the most fun yet aggravating experiences ever. I love doing it until I don't then it's :cuss Finding time and inspiration is the difficult part.
Same tune… I have about a half a dozen of samples based tunes easily available on my storage.

The more complicated stuff is all on digital audio tape and I don’t have a dat player. Need to just grab one and make some high-quality wave files.

:bag

I hear ya with the writing thing, though I’ve been battling some writer’s block for the last year. Previous to that, I was so damn excited that I could have Garageband on my iPhone and iPad, so no matter where I was, I could get an idea down and just Airdrop it into my iMac and load it into Logic.

I just looked through my Garageband projects on this iPad, I have a couple things that made it into songs and like 4 projects that are just me arranging farts into beats. :rofl
I’ve still yet to find a voice of my own, compositionally. I tend to write like whatever I happen to be listening to at the time, just usually less good.

I’ve still yet to find a voice of my own, compositionally. I tend to write like whatever I happen to be listening to at the time, just usually less good.

I think I found mine early on, but I’m completely susceptible to wearing my influences on my sleeve and don’t even let it bother me anymore. It’s more important to get something out and finish it than to be nit picky about how derivative it is, because it’s all progress and whatever you don’t accomplish on one song, there’s always the next one. My favorite advice from Devin Townsend is “Finish everything you write, even if you think it sucks. If it’s not finished, how do you know it sucks?” There’s a lot of discovery to be had when you push through something and find a way to make it not-suck.

I think if you’re being honest with what you write and it’s truly inspired, even if there’s a noticeable influence on it, it’ll still be put through the filter of you just enough to make it it’s own thing. It’s when people set out to write like someone else, intentionally, that it ends up sounding like a knock-off or just doesn’t hit the mark it was intended to.

Most of my favorite things I’ve written came from opening a DAW, picking a tempo and improvising to a click. I don’t count out measures or anything, I just go by feel and what I’m hearing in my head which is GREAT for getting out of the standard song writing formula. One verse might be 8 measures and the next might be 3, or the chorus might not come until 2 minutes into the song. Or it doesn’t even have a chorus.

This is one of them, it’s the demo version that I put together I spent all of 30 minutes on a lunch break. I was just fcking around with the .8th note delay, pressed record and then wrote everything else based around that. I’m re-recording pretty much everything but the synth stuff because it was all tracked on a couch in my dad’s sunroom and it’s just not the best quality.

OK, I’ll drop another bad samples-based ‘insk ‘insk Toon. Kinda spoofing here on the genre.

A bad trumpet for brudda Jive

happy tom and jerry GIF by Boomerang Official

I think I found mine early on, but I’m completely susceptible to wearing my influences on my sleeve and don’t even let it bother me anymore. It’s more important to get something out and finish it than to be nit picky about how derivative it is, because it’s all progress and whatever you don’t accomplish on one song, there’s always the next one. My favorite advice from Devin Townsend is “Finish everything you write, even if you think it sucks. If it’s not finished, how do you know it sucks?” There’s a lot of discovery to be had when you push through something and find a way to make it not-suck.

I think if you’re being honest with what you write and it’s truly inspired, even if there’s a noticeable influence on it, it’ll still be put through the filter of you just enough to make it it’s own thing. It’s when people set out to write like someone else, intentionally, that it ends up sounding like a knock-off or just doesn’t hit the mark it was intended to.

Most of my favorite things I’ve written came from opening a DAW, picking a tempo and improvising to a click. I don’t count out measures or anything, I just go by feel and what I’m hearing in my head which is GREAT for getting out of the standard song writing formula. One verse might be 8 measures and the next might be 3, or the chorus might not come until 2 minutes into the song. Or it doesn’t even have a chorus.

This is one of them, it’s the demo version that I put together I spent all of 30 minutes on a lunch break. I was just fcking around with the .8th note delay, pressed record and then wrote everything else based around that. I’m re-recording pretty much everything but the synth stuff because it was all tracked on a couch in my dad’s sunroom and it’s just not the best quality.

Great track. Vocals have a Ripper Owens channeling Tom Waites thing that fits perfectly \m/
OK, I’ll drop another bad samples-based ‘insk ‘insk Toon. Kinda spoofing here on the genre.

A bad trumpet for brudda Jive

happy tom and jerry GIF by Boomerang Official

This great Frets. Despite your self-effacing presentation of it. Sounds like something that would fit in the 90s club scene :satan

goal scores GIF
Classic Tv Yes GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Ok; bought on eBay site unseen. Turns out to be local so I’m gonna pick it up on Friday. I’ll be popping in tapes I haven’t heard for over 25 years.

2A6CE2FC-E221-4670-A185-C552491607F6.jpeg

I must’ve let like 20-30 of these go by easily.

So inexpensive that if it doesn’t work, I won’t care. However, it looks like it’s right out of a studio, so says the seller lol.

Should we try the AES into a Fractal?

21679B39-47BF-43FD-B912-319707F781BB.jpeg

Baby steps.

Sort of works. Playback is good, but any other transport mangles tape easily. 🤒

Rwd seems to be the key issue; going to just set up, play and record to disc.

Will likely go to 48khz via AES (currently analog into fractal); then usb to iPad Pro into GB.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
View attachment 2214

Baby steps.

Sort of works. Playback is good, but any other transport mangles tape easily. 🤒

Rwd seems to be the key issue; going to just set up, play and record to disc.

Will likely go to 48khz via AES (currently analog into fractal); then usb to iPad Pro into GB.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are get whatever audio you need off these tapes as fast as possible and burn that machine so there’s one less left in the world to hurt people. How I do not miss the early days of digital.

Back