Look Ma, A Good Thread From TOP!

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
They have a great thread about your pick for the perfect guitar solo. Lost of great choices too!

I'll add one that I've always considered simply perfect:

Well-constructed, tasty licks, then a well-defined exit.

Ian Bairnson, I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You

I don’t do well with these types of threads as it’s impossible for me to choose, but I was just thinking about this one the other day:

I’d say that one is on a long list of solos that I’d consider perfect.

And while I’m on Skid Row, here’s another gem:

I've always loved the solo from Gary Moore's Empty Rooms. The acoustic/keyboard part that precedes it and then transitions into a ripping electric guitar power ballad solo.

They have a great thread about your pick for the perfect guitar solo. Lost of great choices too!

I'll add one that I've always considered simply perfect:

Well-constructed, tasty licks, then a well-defined exit.

Ian Bairnson, I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You

Certainly is and I love the whole song , brings me back to some good times and fond memories

:chef

Derailing the thread right away.

Ayreon's Amazing Flight is not that great a song for the first half, but it then turns into this long multi-instrument prog-rock medley that I have loved for years. Flute solos? Violin solos? Keyboard solos? Electric guitar solos? Fantasy cheese? Oh yes!

This solo to me, is sheer perfection.

The throaty tone, the EMOTION, the way he does these quick slides into a few notes, how he's riding the volume, the rocking back the wah with the pick scrape, tracing out the chord shapes, just all of it is magic!

Oh, and that little note-pivot thing, where he's got the delay dialed in so perfectly it sounds like it could've been an overdub...

What else did I forget...? :rofl

Last edited:
For 80's metal/hair, one of the best solos was Chet Thompson (he studied under Randy Rhoads) in the band Hellion and their tune: "Bad Attitude".

Builds perfectly; back and forth, with an incendiary flourish:

https://youtu.be/Sv2QTFN7Glc?si=VRSfSZSxcHvThT2I&t=147

1722302734815.gif

Last edited:
Back