Logic Pro for ipad!!!!

I know. But that's not exactly different for the MBP.
No, but the base spec is at least more reasonable. The display alone, despite having awful pixel response times, is worth a lot as it's pretty top tier for HDR content, resolution, color accuracy etc.

My decked out M2 Max MBP 16" is dead quiet in the workloads that made my 2019 Intel model choke and drag down the whole system. Lots of Docker containers, software test suites running etc. Great battery life too.

Agree on Framework for Windows laptops, too bad they are not easily available over here. For Windows use I go with small form factor desktop systems.

If I could get along with Windows for more than 10 minutes at a time, I’d buy a Framework. Even the motherboards are swappable. But I’m not sure I have the patience for Win11 and audio stuff. I deal with it enough for work.

Same here (well, no need for Windows @work, but still). Not only that I'm using Logic for 25 years by now, I also got used to some things only macOS has on offer. Not that I wouldn't be able to deal with Windows and get all the things I need done, but there's a certain amount of "no need to worry about at all" thing coming with macOS that I actually happen to enjoy quite a bit (and I was *the* biggest OSX hater when I switched from Windows back in the days). The handful of minutes I need to occasionally spend on the wife's Win box certainly serve fine to satisfy all my Windows needs.

I really don’t like the subscription thing…

Yeah! I know it’s just 50$ a year!

For how long? What in app purchase next?
Everybody would want to use 3rd party plugins, no problem, in app purchase a 9.99$ a year for logic and 12.99 for the plug-in companies « we know you would love to have our plugins in Logic for Ipad, look how it’s cheap »
Etc etc etc

We are talking about Apple here not just a small company, they can totally afford to have a license model.
Logic Pro : 229.99€
Logic Pro + IPad edition 299€

Apple could easily afford it to deal with Logic/iOS just the way they did with Logic/macOS. They don't need to earn any money from their software, it's all recouped a gazillion times by the amount of money you're paying for their hardware.

Apple could easily afford it to deal with Logic/iOS just the way they did with Logic/macOS. They don't need to earn any money from their software, it's all recouped a gazillion times by the amount of money you're paying for their hardware.
Yeah it’s a little weird here, I agree.

I don’t know. People talk of planned obsolescence, but all my Apple products last a really long time without issue. Like the phone I’m on right now, it’s 4 years old, and I actually took it out of its case 6 months ago hoping I’d shatter the screen or break it so I could get a new one, and the fucking thing won’t die. :ROFLMAO:

So, 4 years is old for a phone?

No. My point is you hear people parrot that there is planned obsolescence (like the popular one with phones that they degrade after two years because that fits the contract most people buy them on) but I’ve never actually had an Apple device shit out on me before my desire to buy something new kicked in.

Most people want a new device long before the device actually stops functioning. That’s not planned obsolescence, it’s just consumerism.

but I’ve never actually had an Apple device s**t out on me before my desire to buy something new kicked in.

I had it with 3 devices. 2008 Macbook, iPhone 3GS, 2010 Mac Pro. All rendered useless because of no OS support anymore.
Yes, I got my money's worth out of the MB and MP (pretty much not at all out of the iPhone), but after all, there's no technical reaons why they're not supported anymore (at least as long as Apple is supporting Intel CPUs), so that's every bit planned obsolescence.

I had it with 3 devices. 2008 Macbook, iPhone 3GS, 2010 Mac Pro. All rendered useless because of no OS support anymore.
Yes, I got my money's worth out of the MB and MP (pretty much not at all out of the iPhone), but after all, there's no technical reaons why they're not supported anymore (at least as long as Apple is supporting Intel CPUs), so that's every bit planned obsolescence.

When did they stop providing updates for those? (Genuinely curious)

If I get 13-15 years of service out of a laptop I’d consider it money well spent honestly.

When did they stop providing updates for those?

For the Macbook it was pretty early, I think around 2013. So that's 5 years, kinda like the minimum support timeframe Apple "promises".
The Mac Pro lasted quite a bit longer, last officially supported OS was Mojave, released in 2019, so that's been 9 years (had to purchase a new GPU, though).

Sure, you can keep things running for another 1-3 years without falling behind to much, but even that is getting more and more difficult. Until some years ago, the latest Logic version would usually be running on macOS versions 4-5 numbers behind, today it's 2 (even less than the 3 you get from things such as security updates).

As said, there's no technical reasons for all that. I could still patch my Mac Pro more or less easily (but losing some functionality, which I don't want, especially as I plan to kinda "freeze it in" anyway, once I can afford a new MBA), could've done so for the MB, too.

Thing is, both machines are still running almost perfectly. And while the Mac Pro still is my main machine (it's only starting to cause issues here and there, nothing essential so far, though), I cannot even surf the web with the Macbook anymore. The last working browsers on the last supported OS are too old to deal with most website protocols, let alone things such as YT, forums and what not.
Needless to say, I could still transform both machines into excellent Linux boxes (might even be doing so for fun with the Macbook) and even into half decent Windows boxes. Just the company making the computer doesn't offer me an OS anymore. Go figure.

With the iPhone it was even worse, but I don't exactly remember anymore, I was so happy to get rid of that POS in favour of a most excellent Galaxy S4 (which I used for 6+ years I think). They only changed their policies later on (these days, iPhones are supported quite a bit longer).

Oh, hence:

If I get 13-15 years of service out of a laptop I’d consider it money well spent honestly.

Sure. But I didn't. There's some Macbooks supported for longer time frames (especially those with the "Pro" moniker, but still not all of them), but you never know. Apple is doing it differently all the time.
And seriously, if you think about it, 9 years of official OS support for a computer that cost something between 5-8k isn't all that much, is it? Bought my MP used for a pretty decent price in 2012 but still.

Oh, hence:

Sure. But I didn't. There's some Macbooks supported for longer time frames (especially those with the "Pro" moniker, but still not all of them), but you never know. Apple is doing it differently all the time.
And seriously, if you think about it, 9 years of official OS support for a computer that cost something between 5-8k isn't all that much, is it? Bought my MP used for a pretty decent price in 2012 but still.

I agree 5 years seems short for a MacBook.

I don’t know. People talk of planned obsolescence, but all my Apple products last a really long time without issue. Like the phone I’m on right now, it’s 4 years old, and I actually took it out of its case 6 months ago hoping I’d shatter the screen or break it so I could get a new one, and the f*****g thing won’t die. :ROFLMAO:
It's usually things like:
  • New features being limited to newer devices. iPad Stage Manager being a good example - it's a crappy window manager, which should run on the equivalent of a potato. Yet the Apple one is sooo demanding that it can only work on modern iPads. I have seen some jailbreak hacks proving a gated feature could easily work on the older hardware too.
  • Eventually OS updates beyond security fixes stop. Then 3rd party apps start requiring a minimum spec of iOS +1 version higher than the last one you can install. I saw this recently trying to install a Sky Showtime streaming app on my father's old iPad. The same iPad runs e.g Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc just fine.
  • Peripherals no longer being possible to use on a newer device. Apple Pencil 1 vs 2 is a good example. v1 works on my 2017 iPad Pro, but not on a 2018+ model because they wanted to sell a v2. The v1 would just need a USB-C to Lightning dongle to charge and pair. Interestingly v1 works on the baseline iPads but v2 does not so at least I was able to give mine to my spouse to use.
I'm not saying other platforms don't have these issues as well. I've developed enough mobile apps to say that the decisions for device support are often based on what is feasible to test on a real device rather than anything else. Nobody wants to fix that cryptic bug that only occurs on some obscure phone that is a decade old.

When did they stop providing updates for those? (Genuinely curious)

Really? So once you become an adult, you only need to buy 3-4 laptops? Ever?

I buy a new one every few years (3–4-ish) and then hand down my old one to wife or kids.

And it’s not because of “need” or “obsolescence” but “want.” Haha. Not fiscally very responsible but I like new gadgets, tools, and toys. There are worse vices I suspect.

Back