Leveling Presets

listen i can't hear you GIF by NBC

That particular list is probably possible with a lot of modelers.

Nah, not really. From all I know, the parameter lock (or whatever it's called) on the Kemper is only halfway getting you there. Really, the only two modelers with a fully integrated global block functionality are the GT-1000s and the Axe FX.

Nah, not really. From all I know, the parameter lock (or whatever it's called) on the Kemper is only halfway getting you there. Really, the only two modelers with a fully integrated global block functionality are the GT-1000s and the Axe FX.
Are we talking about the same thing?…pretty confident I can do “my list“ on “my kemper”.;-)
GT has global blocks?…missed that memo ;-)

Are we talking about the same thing?…pretty confident I can do “my list“ on “my kemper”.;-)

Whoops, must've gotten that wrong then - I thought it was about the things I listed earlier as well.

GT has global blocks?…missed that memo ;-)

Yeah, it has. It's called "Stompbox" mode, or rather: you have to save a setting as a socalled "Stompbox". Everything you change on that Stompbox will be reflected in all other patches using it. I think you can save multiple of those Stompboxes for each block type. Seems to be pretty excellent and working well (according to people I asked - when I had a borrowed GT over here, I didn't check that function because at first, due to the misleading name, I thought it was something different). In the german manual, it's on page 7.

Setting the levels with backing tracks should take care of most of this issue.

Obviously the soundguy should also make adjustments on the fly when something is too loud or to low aka do their job but it seems like a lot of club sound guys these days think their job stops at soundcheck unless there's exploding feedback on stage. Otherwise, they just soundcheck and go play with their phones. So that's really the crux of the issue. A lot of these problems can be avoided if the person in charge of handling the sound actually handles the sound.

I'm on a Helix and use snapshots...I am happy with the clean volume, I'm trying to match the distortion levels from preset to preset to each other. I have a few different amp sounds for different rooms, with really varying levels of thin or thickness depending on how much highs and lows are eaten up by the venue.

@Sascha Franck knowing I am doing it this way, is there some way to do a global volume? I cant have one that turns up or down the whole preset, because the other snapshots are already at the volume I want.

Your idea for global blocks would really fix this for me, as what I tend to do is have about ten patches ready for each distortion sound, so if they shared a global value for say IR volume or channel volume, or even just a volume knob by itself that would be awesome

Yeah, it has. It's called "Stompbox" mode, or rather: you have to save a setting as a socalled "Stompbox". Everything you change on that Stompbox will be reflected in all other patches using it. I think you can save multiple of those Stompboxes for each block type. Seems to be pretty excellent and working well (according to people I asked - when I had a borrowed GT over here, I didn't check that function because at first, due to the misleading name, I thought it was something different). In the german manual, it's on page 7.
Yeah…your right…tried to get those working that way…but cause of my impatient nature I never was successful ;-)…well…not in 10 minutes anyway ;-)

Your idea for global blocks would really fix this for me, as what I tend to do is have about ten patches ready for each distortion sound, so if they shared a global value for say IR volume or channel volume, or even just a volume knob by itself that would be awesome

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I want global blocks so badly. Also, imagine this to be taken a step further: You could, say, have an EQ block going with each amp. You could then, say, have 3 EQs set to act as global blocks. And you could then use one to go along with each clean amp, one with each crunch amp and one with each seriously driven amp. That'd give you global balance and tonal control over these three "groups".

As far as this goes:
knowing I am doing it this way, is there some way to do a global volume?

You mean like globally changing the volume of just the distortion levels? But as you're asking for balancing things between presets, I'm sure I don't exactly understand...

Seriously, back on the HX Floor, I "solved" all these issues by always only using one kitchen sink preset per each gig. Obviously, that didn't solve the problem but took away flexibility. But for all the things I'm doing, instant and global control is vastly more important. Ideally, I'd of course like to have both. Hence: gimme global blocks!

Last time I had to get presets gig ready I went to practice a little early so I could crank up and not bother anyone. Done!

Last time I had to get presets gig ready I went to practice a little early so I could crank up and not bother anyone. Done!

When I am using my Helix LT into the return of an amp, it's not an issue. I just walk over and adjust volume and presence but when I am going direct, because I also run the sound system, thats another ball of wax because I can't play and adjust the mixer on the tablet at the same time. Well not accurately at least. I almost always have to make changes on the direct path because the gain staging itself is fine. It doesn't help that the bass player I work with (he's in both bands) refuses to go direct since he got his new GK Amp. I take a line out to the mixer but he's still putting signal out of his amp. it's never crazy off but being the sound person I want it to be as perfect as possible.

At a church gig I’m playing through a monitor shared with the bassist, and when anyone asks me to adjust my level I have the sound guy do it. I recently realized the keyboardist thinks I’m being a prima donna when I do that, and once I explained the situation to him I got the look of “oooh, so you’re not just a d**k.”

I’m using a Stomp, so the volume knob is for an IEM I’ll put in when I need to hear more me. It’s making me think I need to change my wishlist to Helix Floor instead of LT just for that extra headphone knob.

Back