Let’s talk EL34s

Some of you guys are confusing me. I thought we were talking about E34Ls but then a couple of you keep saying EL34L. :bonk

Anyway, I had JJ E34Ls in my Rivera, and they sounded pretty decent, but when it came time for new glass, I went with the Mullard RIs and they were a definite improvement. I've used the Mullards in a number of amps, and they have never disappointed.
Yeah, I was thinking when it comes time to replace the JJs, I might put in Mullards or EH... the tube reviews on all the tube sites seem to be so positive I can't tell what is good or bad, though.

Looks like Shuguang is doing power tubes again too. I know I've liked their preamp tubes in the past, so those might be worth a whirl.

BTW, modern EL34's seem to have a bad reputation for reliability vs 6L6s. I remember Dave F complaining about them on Tone Talk YT Channel at one point and him saying he'd like to do more 6L6 designs but people are wary of a 'British' style amp w/ 6L6s. :p

Will not do NOS, though... Prices make that feel like a matter of principle.

From what I have read the RedBase aren't rebranded, they are manufactured for TAD. Something like that.
I could be wrong but I thought the Red Base tubes were Psvane.

I personally haven't had any problems with my EH EL34s in a 50W Plexi circuit. I blew up a pair due to stupidity, but they handled everything else perfectly fine otherwise.

The TAD website says "in-yer-face tone with just the right amount of angriness". Meh, I don't want in-yer-face-ness or angriness. I want mellow and full.

I'm going to swap in the EHs and see if it makes a difference.

Tad's are always something else, from memory most are the chinese el34b's that are really good. I would need to see them to know.

Back