Les Paul Tone Help

Mongillo19

Rock Star
Hey All,

I have a Gibson Les Paul (unsure if standard or traditional) 2013 model. I absolutely love everything about it.....except for the tone (but who needs that, right?)

I find it to be super brittle and thin. Am I doing something wrong? Are there any pickup recommendations for more of a classic rock vibe? Send help before I sell or trade it

Attachments

• PXL_20230627_002345750.jpg
    PXL_20230627_002345750.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
That is a probably a Traditional. The Standard in 2013 had metal Grover tuners. You probably have 57 Classic pickups. These pickups are highly regarded, but I have a strong dislike for them... they are bland IMO. I had these in a 2016 Traditional, and I replaced them with DiMarzios.

I would adjust the pickup heights and try to find a spot where they sound good. raising them gives more bass/output, and lowering does the opposite.

If you don't have any luck, try replacing them.

Pull the neck pickup and post a pic of the cavity as well as the back of the pickup. There is usually a code written inside the cavity with the exact guitar model.

That is a probably a Traditional. The Standard in 2013 had metal Grover tuners. You probably have 57 Classic pickups. These pickups are highly regarded, but I have a strong dislike for them... they are bland IMO. I had these in a 2016 Traditional, and I replaced them with DiMarzios.

I would adjust the pickup heights and try to find a spot where they sound good. raising them gives more bass/output, and lowering does the opposite.

If you don't have any luck, try replacing them.

Pull the neck pickup and post a pic of the cavity as well as the back of the pickup. There is usually a code written inside the cavity with the exact guitar model.
I appreciate that, thank you!

I am a massive gibson fanboy

But I am not a fan of many gibson pickups, especially the bridges. I hated the 57 classic + in my old Sig T. Replaced with an SD pearly gates, great choice for a "classic" LP tone

Burstbucker pros came stock in my current '18 standard. Hate hate hate. Changed bridge for an SD Pegasus for a more modern/metal vibe and also much happier

And if you are more inclined towards higher-gain tones and a more modern guitar sound then yes PAFs
of any sort/brand will tend to be thin and brittle by comparison. PAFs are not fat.

Hey All,

I have a Gibson Les Paul (unsure if standard or traditional) 2013 model. I absolutely love everything about it.....except for the tone (but who needs that, right?)

I find it to be super brittle and thin. Am I doing something wrong? Are there any pickup recommendations for more of a classic rock vibe? Send help before I sell or trade it

When you say you find it brittle and thin, compared to what and how did you compare them?

D

I hear ya. On my LP Modern, which comes with Burstbucker Pro+, I had a similar reaction, in that it did sound thinner with more top end bite, but I didn’t think it sounded “bad”. But my primary frame of reference was my RG that’s loaded with BareKnuckle Aftermaths, which are hot as shit, with a massive mid push. (I also use 11-54’s on that RG versus the 10-46’s the LP comes with stock)

I swapped from the 10-46’s to 11-52’s on the LP and couldn’t be happier at this point. It def took off a little off the brittleness. Have you tried something simple (and cheap) like a string/gauge change?

I hear ya. On my LP Modern, which comes with Burstbucker Pro+, I had a similar reaction, in that it did sound thinner with more top end bite, but I didn’t think it sounded “bad”. But my primary frame of reference was my RG that’s loaded with BareKnuckle Aftermaths, which are hot as s**t, with a massive mid push. (I also use 11-54’s on that RG versus the 10-46’s the LP comes with stock)

I swapped from the 10-46’s to 11-52’s on the LP and couldn’t be happier at this point. It def took off a little off the brittleness. Have you tried something simple (and cheap) like a string/gauge change?
I have not! Honestly seeing it for what it is, I think I just need to realize what it's best suited for

Yup. Don't try and make all of your gear/guitars sound the same.

Unless you can't help yourself. Which 9 out of 10 of us cannot. :LOL:

Back