Les Paul middle position

Middle position on a les paul with the neck volume backed off is the sound I missed the most when I switched to using a prs.

Was trying it with my 335 but the neck pickup goes from full to half from 10 to 9.5. Will need to try with my Paul.

Was trying it with my 335
Funny, I've been doing the same thing. No reference at all because I've never seen the video on subject or tried this before but it's like a softer, less edgier bridge pickup sound.

I’ve pretty much been living in the middle position entirely now. So much so that when I go to the neck for cleans I just leave it with the neck at 8.5. It’s pretty much the perfect balance of tone for the LP. #life-hack #gamechanger #secretsofthepros #toneisinthefedora

Interesting thing with my Les Paul today - I always fight the neck pickup being too hot and the bridge too quiet. I have a set of PAF style pickups in there now with a lower wind neck and hotter bridge, still too fat in the neck.

Rolled the volume of the neck down to 9 and now the balance is just right. The low end rolled off a tick too. I have treble bleeds in there so maybe that helps a bit.

Interesting thing with my Les Paul today - I always fight the neck pickup being too hot and the bridge too quiet. I have a set of PAF style pickups in there now with a lower wind neck and hotter bridge, still too fat in the neck.

Rolled the volume of the neck down to 9 and now the balance is just right. The low end rolled off a tick too. I have treble bleeds in there so maybe that helps a bit.

I’ve always wondered what it would sound like to add the Rickenbacker 5th knob to an LP to thin and dial back the neck to better match the bridge.

I always thought that was a genius idea for Rick’s

I’ve always wondered what it would sound like to add the Rickenbacker 5th knob to an LP to thin and dial back the neck to better match the bridge.

I always thought that was a genius idea for Rick’s

In my first Gibson LP during the 90s, I hated the muddy neck position (which is like a spoiler alert for every other humbucker guitar I've ever owned). I swapped out the pickups for a JB and Jazz set, first time I ever modded a guitar, because that's what I heard Adam Jones used. Better. Then I rewired the neck pickup tone control so it was the "spin a split" to dial in or out one of the coils. Was kind of cool.

Back