Les Paul middle position

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I didn’t realize this was a thing, but with the neck volume rolled back to 8.5, perfect. Haven’t used the bridge in isolation since, just neck and middle. Nice hack I saw from a Bonamassa video. Turns out you can adjust the knobs on a guitar. :ROFLMAO:

Yep, this is one of my favorite things about a Les Paul.

Middle position, both pickups all the way up when I want to sit back in the mix, then bump the neck pickup volume back a bit to poke out more.

The reason I switched from Telecasters to LPs was because once I discovered this I missed it too much when I didn’t have access to it on the Tele without the dual volume controls

Animated GIF

I almost never run any guitar wide open---either Volume or Tone. :sofa

I think the only guitar I’ve by default adjusted a tone knob on was my SG which I backed off on the tone a couple ticks.

I was kinda surprised that the middle position trick works so well on the LP. Using the controls is probably something I should have experimented with decades ago. :ROFLMAO:

I need to get a decent recording of it, but my Orville in the middle position has a really cool, almost out of phase sound to it. The pickups aren’t reversed or anything, there’s nothing special in the wiring I can see, but it almost sound like a wah or envelope filter starting the notes. That guitar has a couple things that got me second guessing the “mojo” that gets tossed around in gear discussions, I always thought it was bullshit but that guitar has a little somethin’ extra.

How do you guys set your neck pickup tone knob though?

I find that on my dual humbucker, 2x vol, 2x tone guitars the neck tone knob is often not very useful as it tends to get too dull very quickly. By comparison I use the bright tone knob on every guitar I own.

And my BluGuitar Amp 1 has those old school Marshall bright caps from hell where to get the best tones out of it, it's pretty essential to use your guitar volume and tone knobs.

Unless I'm trying to cop a smooth Jazz type of vibe I don't adjust the neck pickup tone much at all on a dual humbucker guitar like a LP.

For the bridge pickup, I'll roll the tone knob down very slightly to about a max of 8 depending upon the guitar and bridge pickup.

Another thing worth trying is middle position with the bridge volume rolled back a bit. You get a similar sound to the neck, but it’s a bit softer on the attack

Back