Kemper - Tips/Advice for Creating Profiles?

I’ve never heard of Kemper not being able to do high gain Profiles. There are tons of high gain Profile packs out there.

This guy is one of the better ones:

I’ve been able to successfully Profile these using a Suhr RL and the AXE III for the IR/Cab:
EVH 5150 iii 50W
Recto Multi-Watt
Mark V Crunch, IIC+ and IV
Badlander 50W

What is your signal chain like?

I’ve never heard of Kemper not being able to do high gain Profiles. There are tons of high gain Profile packs out there.

This guy is one of the better ones:

I’ve been able to successfully Profile these using a Suhr RL and the AXE III for the IR/Cab:
EVH 5150 iii 50W
Recto Multi-Watt
Mark V Crunch, IIC+ and IV
Badlander 50W

What is your signal chain like?

Signal chain is just Kemper send 1 -> Mark VII input, CabClone XLR out -> Kemper return 1.

It worked great for everything until I tried to do some higher gain Profiles

Signal chain is just Kemper send 1 -> Mark VII input, CabClone XLR out -> Kemper return 1.

It worked great for everything until I tried to do some higher gain Profiles

I’m guessing it’s the signal coming in from the CabClone.

I think the Profile is very dependent on the signal going into the Kemper, i.e. the “mic” signal. I’ve always wanted to Profile using a cab, mics and mic preamps in a studio and see how well it does with that signal compared to a Reactive Load and IRs/Cabs from the AXE.

I will tell you that getting literal “exact” copies of the amp with the Kemper is not 100% all the time. Some amps I can get really, really close to the reference amp. Some amps I can’t get and can get better copies using Tonex but I like the Kemper’s overall process and software so much better than anything else. I also have Profiles of amps that don’t sound exactly like the reference amp but I like the Profiles better than the tone I was getting from the reference amp. Some amps I can get copies of exactly and then, on the same amp with different settings I can’t get an exact copy.

My money is on the signal coming in from the CabClone for the high gain amps. If you have a Reactive Load and some kind of IR loader that you can balance the levels on you could give that a shot.

I did find with mine that the kemper struggled with amps with a lot of power amp distortion, especially when using a load box instead of a cab load. Tbh that was more of an issue for me than high gain times which I thought it did an ok job of.

When I tried contacting support they didn’t really want to help unless I was using the official kemper di as a thru for the cab which was annoying

I did find with mine that the kemper struggled with amps with a lot of power amp distortion, especially when using a load box instead of a cab load. Tbh that was more of an issue for me than high gain times which I thought it did an ok job of.

When I tried contacting support they didn’t really want to help unless I was using the official kemper di as a thru for the cab which was annoying

I wonder if I’m pushing the power amp harder than I realize since I’m not listening to it connected to an actual cab. The first one I did I was on the 45 watt setting and I did notice an improvement switching to 90.

Tomorrow I’m going to lower the volume on the amp and check the input level into the CabClone and see if that helps

Did some experimenting and had a lot more success. Two things ended up making the difference:
  1. Turning channel volume down and setting CabClone input volume lower
  2. Turning bass WAY down and compensating with the 5-band EQ

I’ve used Mark amps quite a bit and I know #2 is common practice, but I had to do it a LOT more than normal.

I think the Kemper test signal is hitting the amp harder and with more low end than my guitar.

I profiled a couple of my amps and they turned out great. I made sure I read everything in the manual about how to do it and then played with it a bit. I found the refinement process really helped get the profiles dialed in. I did it the way that Michael Britt explains in one of his videos. I have not tried profiling since liquid profiling came out. I may do new profiles of the same amps using liquid profiling and see how they come out. I have been really playing with amps and pedals a lot lately and haven't turned the Kemper on much since I updated the firmware on it.

Back