JUST BRING ANOTHER GUITAR

Seriously. One of my BIGGEST pet peeves ever. Brings $5900 worth of gear to a gig but can't bring a second guitar in a different tuning or "DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!" transpose the song up a half step to 440 OR "DINGDINGDINGDINGDING! 2: PICK A DIFFERENT SONG OUT OF THE BAZILLION SONGS IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE BOOGLAOO"

I know. I had that lightbulb moment the other day when I was figuring out a patch. I have a strat loaded with a Tronical+ unit and it works the balls. I was like "hey dumbass BOB, just use that guitar for most the night"

I know. I had that lightbulb moment the other day when I was figuring out a patch. I have a strat loaded with a Tronical+ unit and it works the balls. I was like "hey dumbass BOB, just use that guitar for most the night"
Do you still have the GP10?

Seriously. One of my BIGGEST pet peeves ever. Brings $5900 worth of gear to a gig but can't bring a second guitar in a different tuning or "DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!" transpose the song up a half step to 440 OR "DINGDINGDINGDINGDING! 2: PICK A DIFFERENT SONG OUT OF THE BAZILLION SONGS IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE BOOGLAOO"
Amen brother.... haven't used a device yet that doesn't lose something in translation for solo work. Works ok for rhythm. Nothing beats a dedicated instrument imo

oB5Ybcr.jpg

Nice Saxophone!

Yup … evil latency and warble on the AxeFX, but I adapt and play ahead a little. It’s fine :D
...alternatively, just play it in the key you need it in. Lots of modern stuff (other than heavy riffs) is in odd keys to start with where open strings aren't part of the picture, so who cares what key the guitar is tuned to?

Example: Shut Up and Dance is in Db. Somebody Told Me (Killers) is in Bbm. M-O-V-E (Luke Bryan) is in F.m. Every one of these you could move up or down at will without having to change what you play. Not a single open string played in any of those songs.

Just tune to standard and play the song. Yeah, OK, maybe you have to drop D for some, but.....

[FlameSuit = ENGAGED]

How many times does someone on a forum say, "I can carry my entire rig in one trip," as if they have
cured cancer and want a medal or something.

I'm guilty 100 times over. I take great pains to "optimize" a rig. It's not really about how much walking needs to be done; it's about how much margin for error (number of steps) there is in loading in/ setting up. In a perfect world, you drop a thing on stage, and that thing works.

The "fewer trips" ideal is only relevant in neighborhoods where I have to worry about the second trip's worth of gear getting ripped off while I'm loading in the first.

Anyway, the only "medal for having cured cancer" is being first to finish organizing your own crap, only to wind up carrying the PA, half the drums, etc.

Bravo sir! You explained to me why you have also not learned a new song in 10 years. :)

Ouch. That's a little too close to the bone. :D

...alternatively, just play it in the key you need it in. Lots of modern stuff (other than heavy riffs) is in odd keys to start with where open strings aren't part of the picture, so who cares what key the guitar is tuned to?

Example: Shut Up and Dance is in Db. Somebody Told Me (Killers) is in Bbm. M-O-V-E (Luke Bryan) is in F.m. Every one of these you could move up or down at will without having to change what you play. Not a single open string played in any of those songs.

Just tune to standard and play the song. Yeah, OK, maybe you have to drop D for some, but.....

[FlameSuit = ENGAGED]

I've supported singer-songwriters in the past who often transposed keys of popular songs on the spot. This
preciousness about playing it how it was written is some kind of Cover Band Fundamentalism that most
professionals scoff at.

The key of a song is simply less vital than the melodic and harmonic structrure. In Nashville they will move
the key signature of a song up or down to best fit the singer's voice. In Topeka not so much. No offense to
Topekans. :)

I've supported singer-songwriters in the past who often transposed keys of popular songs on the spot. This
preciousness about playing it how it was written is some kind of Cover Band Fundamentalism that most
professionals scoff at.

The key of a song is simply less vital than the melodic and harmonic structrure. In Nashville they will move
the key signature of a song up or down to best fit the singer's voice. In Topeka not so much. No offense to
Topekans. :)
"I really appreciate the way your male vocalist squeaked that Alanis Morissette song out in its original key. Sounded so much better that way. The guitar part really would have suffered had you transposed it."

It’s kind of like complaining that this thing doesn’t sound like your pre-war Martin.

boss-ac3-acoustic-simulator-front__15949-1050x1200.jpg

Of course it doesn’t! Did you really expect it to!? If you demand the perfect sound of your Martin then bring it to the gig instead.

I had one of these back in the day! I’d actually be curious to run one of these into a Fractal unit these days and see what can be done with it. I used to run it into the PA and I don’t remember it being terrible, but still a step below piezos.

I had one of these back in the day! I’d actually be curious to run one of these into a Fractal unit these days and see what can be done with it. I used to run it into the PA and I don’t remember it being terrible, but still a step below piezos.

I had one for a time also and like you dont remember it being terrible. The one in helix thats supposed to model this is terrible though. I mean why bother adding that? It's below throw in quality.

Back