JUST BRING ANOTHER GUITAR

I had one of these back in the day! I’d actually be curious to run one of these into a Fractal unit these days and see what can be done with it. I used to run it into the PA and I don’t remember it being terrible, but still a step below piezos.

If all you need is something to get you through the gig there’s a ton you can do! You don’t even need the AC-3

I used to fake acoustic with the neck pickup of my Strat with an EMG SAX pickup running through an acoustic IR, some EQ, and a few other tweaks.

For strumming cowboy chords in a couple songs it worked great

I quit a band about 6 weeks ago because of the different tunings. The bass player, who was also the singer (and he couldn't, really) asked me to learn three songs for the audition, one in drop D, one Dirty Honey (? sounds like it, it definitely had Honey in the band name) song in E flat and one 5 string 'open G' Stones song. I did, to see if that was going to be the whole set vibe, and when it was, I wasn't prepared to bring 3 or more guitars to every gig if they ever got one so I left. Joined another band, everything is in the same key, but I bring 3 guitars anyway :grin (main/backup/acoustic).

I quit a band about 6 weeks ago because of the different tunings. The bass player, who was also the singer (and he couldn't, really) asked me to learn three songs for the audition, one in drop D, one Dirty Honey (? sounds like it, it definitely had Honey in the band name) song in E flat and one 5 string 'open G' Stones song. I did, to see if that was going to be the whole set vibe, and when it was, I wasn't prepared to bring 3 or more guitars to every gig if they ever got one so I left. Joined another band, everything is in the same key, but I bring 3 guitars anyway :grin (main/backup/acoustic).
I read things like this and I really don't get who is that thick-headed to not be able to realize this makes zero sense.

...alternatively, just play it in the key you need it in. Lots of modern stuff (other than heavy riffs) is in odd keys to start with where open strings aren't part of the picture, so who cares what key the guitar is tuned to?

Example: Shut Up and Dance is in Db. Somebody Told Me (Killers) is in Bbm. M-O-V-E (Luke Bryan) is in F.m. Every one of these you could move up or down at will without having to change what you play. Not a single open string played in any of those songs.

Just tune to standard and play the song. Yeah, OK, maybe you have to drop D for some, but.....

[FlameSuit = ENGAGED]
Yep. Especially for pop covers. I keep a D-Tuna on one guitar for stuff that you just can't play any other way, but other than that, well, capos exist, too.

I mean, to be fair, I know a guy that was in a Hair/Pop Metal band that did everything in the right tuning, but that was just so he could show off his (ridiculous 150+ with 40 CS Jacksons) guitar collection.

I always feel it’s best to just tune or use guitars tuned to whatever. I prefer having one in e standard and one in… what the hell do i even call Open D dropped half step down… I think it’s like drop C# but retuned to “open D”….
Do I call it Open C#??? Wtf… I don’t know what I’m talking about.. I’m freaking 42 and can’t explain how I tune my guitar…

Our last bandleader (RIP) made it easy for us. Eb songs were in E, weird key changes got cut.

I was in a Cranberries tribute - a lot of capo action in the set. I got by with transposing the chords to fit my E standard tuning and kept with one guitar the whole time. This was before polyohonic pitch effects came to HX.

The new band I'm trying for has songs in Eb and Ab but don't specifically need retuning but Chain of Fools has that baritone guitar I'm going to attempt to use the Poly FX in my Stomp for. Running into a cab so I have the DSP for it.

I will bring a couple guitars but if I need more range than drop D or 1/2 step down I will just bring a 7 for those couple songs. I had a gig and they kept going between standard and half step down. It was early in my playing days so I just went with it with 2 guitars but I wouldnt do that again.

I also can transpose basically on the fly for most things so if I need to play the guitar in the "other" tuning as a backup, I can with a couple hiccups.

I remember when Variax came out I was really excited about the concept because at the time I was backing a singer-songwriter who loved odd tunings. I was dragging 4-5 guitars to every show to deal with his tunings and the concept of having one guitar that automatically changed tuning sounded amazing.

But as soon as I got one I realized it was too good to be true. It never has lived up to the promise. Roland/Boss stuff gets close with the GK pickup, but it’s still kind of squirrelly and only really works for me buried in a dense mix.

I had the complete opposite experience, after picking up a jtv59 for cover jams, I never went back.

I play it more than all my other guitars combined

"I really appreciate the way your male vocalist squeaked that Alanis Morissette song out in its original key. Sounded so much better that way. The guitar part really would have suffered had you transposed it."

Haha! For sure. :)

Bob Seger's final tour they tuned down to C. Bob and the boys bringing the Doom!! :)

I read things like this and I really don't get who is that thick-headed to not be able to realize this makes zero sense.

#delusionsofgrandeur ;)

Not enough cover bands focus on the flow of the music. Man, if you can bang from one song to the next
with barely a breath and do that for 3 or 4 songs in a row you stand out from the cover band crowd in a
monumental way.

And if you have alt-tunings then group those songs together. That's something I have always insisted on.
Start or end a set with one set of tunings and try to keep the dull lulls to a bare minimum.

Is that too much to ask for??? :hmm

I remember when Variax came out I was really excited about the concept because at the time I was backing a singer-songwriter who loved odd tunings. I was dragging 4-5 guitars to every show to deal with his tunings and the concept of having one guitar that automatically changed tuning sounded amazing.

But as soon as I got one I realized it was too good to be true. It never has lived up to the promise. Roland/Boss stuff gets close with the GK pickup, but it’s still kind of squirrelly and only really works for me buried in a dense mix.

I had the complete opposite experience, after picking up a jtv59 for cover jams, I never went back.

I play it more than all my other guitars combined

My best guitar playing buddy and I have been in bands for nearly 20 years now. I was the first to try the Variax
in 2006-7, and hated it. He has 2 JTVs that he has used for a decade now and loves them. We get along fine. :beer

Did a song idea recently - the one I posted here actually. Sent it to the band. One of them started whinging about it being in drop-B and not drop-C. He has a Whammy droptune at the start of his pedalboard. :confused:

• Angry
Reactions: JT
I will bring a couple guitars but if I need more range than drop D or 1/2 step down I will just bring a 7 for those couple songs. I had a gig and they kept going between standard and half step down. It was early in my playing days so I just went with it with 2 guitars but I wouldnt do that again.

I also can transpose basically on the fly for most things so if I need to play the guitar in the "other" tuning as a backup, I can with a couple hiccups.
This. I can't count the number of times I've forgotten to change into or out of Drop D. It's not that hard to play around it....

If I were going to tune down more than a step I would definitely have a guitar tuned down with me. For what we do there are about three songs down a half step and one a whole step and the VC in the stomp (running in front of my FM3) does a great job.

Back