Just Bought a JB SH-4

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
I know many have these and wanted to get an idea of the tonal balance this pickup offers. Installed it in my Jackson Soloist.

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with it. A little light on the low end but that is a good thing with the new Lynx.

Are there any other puckups that are widely used I should try?

Are there any other puckups that are widely used I should try?
Bridge pickups:
From Seymour I like the '59 and Parallel Axis. But I'm more of a Dimarzio fan.
PAF Pro -- a bit leaner on the bass side but great mids and tight top end.
Super Distortion -- fatter in the low end, hot and fairly balanced overall if not ever so slightly dark.
Steve's Special -- Fat bottom, more scooped midrange, tight top. works great for mid forward amps or pedals (my personally favorite)
AT-1 -- similar to the Super Distortion but with slightly more complex mids
Fred -- similar to a PAF Pro but slightly more upper mids

Those are just the ones I personally own.

How you liking the Lynx btw?

How you liking the Lynx btw?
It's great so far. Very modern high gain with the ability to get that Bad Cat drive that is very clear and open.

The presence has a very wide range and the preamp let's a bit much lows through but this adds to the versatility. A boost pedal or eq can fix the lows and its capable of super modern clanky gain with a Fortin Blade and down tuned guitar.

Last edited:
I like the JB in my Edwaeds LP, it does everything.
Duncan Distortion is the Ceramic magnet of it, JB is Alnico 5, all else is the same.
Ceramic is less bright than Alnico 5.

I used to have a JB in a Soloist style guitar and found it too thin. Put in a Custom and it was much more to my liking.
What amp and style of music?

I generally like less lows in the pickup for tightness. I have a few guitar that have quite a bit of lows and I have to fight with them to get a good sound.

EMG85 for Low Gain/Bluesrock
Fight Running GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

(Honestly, it sounds so fat)

I like the JB in my Edwaeds LP, it does everything.
Duncan Distortion is the Ceramic magnet of it, JB is Alnico 5, all else is the same.
Ceramic is less bright than Alnico 5.
In the Soloists the SH4 is pretty balanced.

The TD Strat has a SH8 and that thing has a ton of highs and lows.

black winter is honestly incredible. I like it more than the JB and the SH5 as it has a little more upper midrange/low treble presence and a lot of low end
Would you say that it has a similar voice or resonant peak in the mids? People describe the JB’s mids as being similar to a cocked wah. I think that’s what appeals to me as it cuts really well.

Would you say that it has a similar voice or resonant peak in the mids? People describe the JB’s mids as being similar to a cocked wah. I think that’s what appeals to me as it cuts really well.
Gibson 498T had that cocked wah for me. Had to replace it, went with Wagner Godwood. Fantastic pickup.

Funny thing, I will be buying another Les Paul Studio soon with a 498t. Will keep it in this guitar.

It's been too long since I compared tbh - youtube might be a better check for that. The JB is still a little more scooped IMO but maybe in a different spot?

Have you tried a Cold Sweat?

No, but I did recently pick up a blackhawk, which I actually don't like as much as the BW lol.

What amp and style of music?

I generally like less lows in the pickup for tightness. I have a few guitar that have quite a bit of lows and I have to fight with them to get a good sound.
Its been many years. At the time I think I had a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50. Anything from blues to metal really but my main thing is in that Gary Moore style 80s hard rock vein.

I just felt the JB -> Custom made the Kramer Stagemaster Custom 1 I had sound more balanced. It was too thin in the lows with the JB. I am not after a ton of low end, for example I really don't like the DiMarzio Tonezone because it has too much lows on the few guitars I've tried with it.

IMO the JB does a lot better in LP type guitars than superstrats.

I've got a JB/Jazz set in my green PRS CU24 which is nice and versatile, but I slightly prefer the Custom 5 I've got in my blue CU24 bridge position. For better or worse the JB is a great "stock" humbucker sound.

Love the JB, I think if you like the JB you’ll like the Custom as well it’s similar but just as good if you like what the JB does.

Custom V is great, especially in more midrangey sounding guitars as it seems a little more scooped to me. I had it for a bit in my PRS C22 but missed the Custom and JB

The JB is great but there are three slightly different models of it over the years. Hard to tell them apart though just by tone. I the the original with "the JB model" sticker on the bottom.

Back