Jumping Back Into The Gig Pool

This is what jumping back into the gigging pool both looks and feels like.

ice gon GIF

No lies. No exaggeration! :LOL:

Yesterday, I jammed with a couple guys at a rehearsal studio hidden in a semi scary run down industrial park that was right next to an old closed stinky landfill (that's rock-n-roll for you baby). Inside to studio was nice and everything worked (mics, PA, power, etc). Bonus!!!

Drummer was ok and sang some tunes. He sometimes had a tendency to speed up the tempo as the song went. I guess I've become overly sensitive to tempo swings from working with drum machines and sequencers over the years. It's ok to speed up in the choruses and solos, but slow it back down in the verses (see Stewart Copeland). His song picks worried me more. "Keep Your Hands To Yourself", "Stormy Monday", and "Wonderful Tonight" all are way overplayed IMO. I smiled and backed him up, but admit I was yawning on the inside.

Guitarist played a LP strait into a Blues Jr. That's it, no other pedals or FX. While that's all well and good, I kinda felt there needed to be more variety of tones. It was all edge of breakup grind all the time. His playing was a bit hit or miss. To be fair, he just recovered from a covid infection. I'm sure he'll do better as he feels better and as the band matures (if we decide to continue).

I was playing keys and singing. This is part of the attraction for me. They're not asking me to bring also a guitar rig. I can focus on one instrument. More over, I can get practice on my live singing and being the frontman. In this role, I find I can have more control over what material is played. This because I have to sing it and it needs to be within my singing range. I've worked on my singing a lot over the last year. This is a path I'd like to pursue after years of always backing other guys up.

The overall vibe was laid back. I appreciate that as long as it doesn't translate into laziness as the band works to improve. A bass player and second guitarist would make a huge difference along the way. So even with humble beginnings, I'd like to return and see where this goes.

Sounds promising. :banana

Any growth opportunity is great in my book. Stagnant, going through the motions not so much.

Hope that ground is fertile enough for you all to enjoy tending it. :beer

In time, I may just start my own band once my networking is more mature.
This.

Personally I've only ever played in bands with people who were already friends with the same goals. But I play for fun, not money or earn a living to play the bills.

I've developed a philosophy of separating what I do out of passion from what I needed to do to earn a living. Although working as a home builder and carpenter fit in very well into my lifestyle.

If you enjoy the company of that drummer just find a bass player and agree to do your own thing and most importantly have fun doing it.

Unless of course you need the cash, then your stuck doing what you need to do, not what you necessarily want to do.

I was fortunate when I blew the audition for a disco band back in the late 70's (not music I ever enjoyed). My life would have taken a totally different direction and I doubt I would have ever gotten off the east coast and moved to Paradise.

Last edited:
This.

Personally I've only ever played in bands with people who were already friends with the same goals. But I play for fun, not money or earn a living to play the bills.

I've developed a philosophy of separating what I do out of passion from what I needed to do to earn a living. Although working as a home builder and carpenter fit in very well into my lifestyle.

If you enjoy the company of that drummer just find a bass player and agree to do your own thing and most importantly have fun doing it.

Unless of course you need the cash, then your stuck doing what you need to do, not what you necessarily want to do.

I was fortunate when I blew the audition for a disco band back in the late 70's (not music I ever enjoyed). My life would have taken a totally different direction and I doubt I would have ever gotten off the east coast and moved to Paradise.

I've since starting this thread have totally given up on the idea of playing in a local band. Sadly, the experience I had finding anything worth while in my area was extremely disappointing (to say the least). Maybe it's just me and I'm the unworthy one. In any event, I get better personal musical inspiration from creating new tracks in my studio.

since starting this thread have totally given up on the idea of playing in a local band
I don't miss it but I did have fun playing a few memorable gigs with band mates who were my friends. Many of the other gigs were just us playing for inebriated bar patrons where we were paid $50 each and a free beer. Late nights packing heavy gear for peanuts, no thanks.

Back