John Cordy Tries New Fender Player II Strat…

This thread

Intimidating Season 4 GIF by The Office

Doing an honest review, unlike the majority of other reviews on YouTube which were likely done using cherry-picked instruments.

Not what I was getting at. Dude's an all world player who's had the best of the best gear forever.
He's not an $800 guitar customer.

Let's ask a Nascar racer to stop by his local Ford dealer and have them go over a lot car with a fine toothed comb..... :stirthepot

It's a BUDGET Fender man!

The saddle issue is almost expected imo. As much as I think the Strat was nailed 70 yrs ago, the bent saddles have always been a weak spot for me personally, functionally speaking. Hell, even EJ has been replacing the high E saddle with a modern type on a few guitars. I'd replace them all with raw brass, modern style. $30. The nut can be hit or miss in this price range as well. The fingerboard and frets looked pretty darn good out of the box imo. The skunk stripe could be a point of concern... if it's truss rod related. But you have to remember, it is lacquer and that is walnut up against hard maple. 2 different woods and grains. My guess is the walnut may have shrunk ever so slightly causing the lacquer issue. Not ideal but totally understandable.

That’s nothing compared to the $1500 Ibanez Premiums I’ve played over the last few years. Or the Sterling Petrucci’s. PRS SE’s are the only guitars I’ve played around that price point that have been fine-tooth comb acceptable among the majority I’ve picked up in the last 3-5 years. Outside of that the set up varies from “Oh this actually isn’t bad” to “You actually can’t play this” across all the brands in that price range. If it has a trem that floats, it’s almost a sure shot it’s going to be fucked.

I didn’t realize those were MIM’s until I saw the Made In Ensenada tag on the back, those are basically 90’s MIA specs and pretty cool to see at that price point. Satin necks and rolled edges definitely weren’t specs you’d find on intermediate guitars back in the day.

Not what I was getting at. Dude's an all world player who's had the best of the best gear forever.
He's not an $800 guitar customer.

Let's ask a Nascar racer to stop by his local Ford dealer and have them go over a lot car with a fine toothed comb..... :stirthepot

It's a BUDGET Fender man!
This makes no sense. Since he's a phenominal player and plays mainly K-Line guitars, he shouldn't review and gig test more affordable instruments on his YouTube channel? Not everyone is looking at $2K and up guitars.

Hahahaa No ive made the the sign of the southern cross in charcoal, that never again anything coming from Fender originating from that Factory, In fact i wouldn't even buy a MIA Fender

:guiness
What about MIJ?

What about MIJ?
Maybe but it's still a Fender, I would Chose something else MiJ
I guess you can say I'm not a Fender Fan at all, not into headstock brand names
if i had the budget, Suhr or K Line something like that but Not a Fender

:idk

Last edited:

All my Fenders are older MIJ. But most are partcaster 'Fenders' with no name headstocks -- except the random few branded: Fuzzy's PARTCASTER. :ROFLMAO:

edit: oops, forgot I do have a MIM Mustang Bass... :grin

If you ever get a chance to cross paths with a Fender Japan instrument, I’m telling you from ample experience, absurdly good quality.

People lose their marbles over the early 80s stuff but I have a 2012-2013 TL-62s and they are second to none. They get the little stuff right. My MIJ Fenders are the only guitars I’ve had my luthier hand back to me and tell me they didn’t need a fret level from the factory.

Fender Japan is its own thing and they very much have their own tradition of guitar building.

All my Fenders are older MIJ. But most are partcaster 'Fenders' with no name headstocks -- except the random few branded: Fuzzy's PARTCASTER. :ROFLMAO:

edit: oops, forgot I do have a MIM Mustang Bass... :grin
Honorable mention for Allparts necks if you are doing the Fender inspired partscaster thing. Their necks are Fender Japan necks.

The TRF tele neck is identical to my TL-62 neck minus the rolled fretboard edges and final fretwork on the factory built guitar. You have to supply that yourself.

Honorable mention for Allparts necks if you are doing the Fender inspired partscaster thing. Their necks are Fender Japan necks.
I have one Mighty Mite neck, it was actually my very first parts neck from about '99. Not sure where it was made. One piece maple, wide nut, I've refretted a few years back with dunlop 6000s. Great neck. All the others have been Warmoth which are fantastic.

Back