John Cordy Tries New Fender Player II Strat…

norminal

Rock Star
that wasn’t sent to him by Fender for review. In other words, the guitar received zero attention before being sent to him, unlike all the reviews that have been flooding YouTube over the past week.

Unacceptable for a $799 guitar IMO. Do better Fender.

Saw that yesterday. Close but no cigar. The sitar sound on the high E could just be a burr. The fuck up on the skunk stripe is unacceptable.
Other than that, it looks beautiful, and sounded good. Of course the Donner Strat and cheapest Squier from Amazon sounded pretty good with JNC playing it.

These QC issues should be a thing of the past.

Fender has been building the Strat for what? Over 70 years? And they still can’t get it right. Pathetic.

giphy.gif

Bout 20 years ago I visited a large speaker factory in Shenzhen that OEM'd guitar speakers for a number of brands at the time.
Got talking to them about the QC and learned they'd assembled a large quantity of a certain 12" model that day and then run them
through a test that basically had 2 levels of PASS - normal and premium - purely based on the FR measured against a gold standard.

Majority passed as normal and were being labeled Peavey. Those coming off the end of the line as premium got Boogie.

Same EXACT transducer and BOM cost. Two quite different sell prices to their customer.

Are we that surprised about QC issues found on one example of a mass produced budget level guitar?

Hasn’t that always been the way it is?

You guys should have seen the crazy horrible QC issues on my ‘96 MIM when I bought it new!

The forum players would have had a field day ripping it apart, but it’s been my favorite and #1 for 28 years and I love it more than any guitar in the world

Go figure :idk

Are we that surprised about QC issues found on one example of a mass produced budget level guitar?

Hasn’t that always been the way it is?
My point is that after 70 years, these issues shouldn’t exist, or at least not get overlooked during the QC process.

My point is that after 70 years, these issues shouldn’t exist, or at least not get overlooked during the QC process.

Why? The same people haven’t been sitting there doing QC on all of these guitars for 70 years. These are mass produced budget models built to a price point, it’s pretty common for QC to be more hit/miss in that range

They're not being overlooked. They're within the acceptable window for an $800 model. And I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of folks that choose to purchase that level of Fender are going to love it.

WTF is John Cordy doing reviewing entry-level guitars anyway?

And I’m willing to bet that all of the YouTube influencers received an example that was set up and received special attention before being sent out.
All review guitars are this. We should be looking at the fundamentals and if anything serious gets past QC. Also what are you to look for when cherry picking an instrument. What should bother you and what is not a deal breaker ( easy fix if the rest is positive). Too many people pass up on fundamentally excellent guitars because of nothing issues that can be resolved failing to see the potential. I think this applies to anything under £3k.

Back